Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you solve translation / interpretation problems in your dreams?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canadá
Local time: 01:53
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
No dreams but good ideas in the morning Dec 20, 2006

I don't usually remember my dreams but if I have the time to stay in bed for a little while after I wake up, I often get good ideas on how to say something better in a translation or piece of writing. Obviously something was going on in my brain while I was asleep.

Patricia Rosas
Patricia Rosas  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 00:53
español al inglés
+ ...
In Memoriam
I agree with Tim!! Dec 20, 2006

Tim Drayton wrote:

... very often when I wake up the first thing that springs to mind is some flaw in my previous day's translation work - often some obscure point buried in a mound of text. ... deadline permitting, I sometimes delay sending a text to a client until I have 'slept on it'.
Recently I was working on a book translation, and I found it very useful to read the pages I expected to work on the following day shortly before going to bed. I found this made me more productive the next day.
So, yes, I strongly believe that the subconscious mind reviews our translation work as we sleep.

This is so like my own experience. I often wake up recognizing an error (ouch!) or finding a solution -- I may not "dream it" per se, but it happens while I'm snoozing.

Like Tim and some others who have answered, I try to let my translations 'cool off' for a couple of days so that problems and mistakes will jump out at me ... "sleeping on it" is a good work practice!

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
México
francés al español
+ ...
Yes! Best poll ever! Dec 20, 2006

I sometimes dream with colours, sometimes black & white. Sometimes with sounds, sometimes like a silent movie.
Sometimes in french, sometimes in spanish... and time to time, in english and catalan.
Sometimes nice dreams, sometimes just plain nightmares.

The other day, in my dream, I found the key words I was looking for days. Fantastic!

In fact, it was monolingual, a kind of word joke in spanish between "Ácido fórmico", and "Ácido fornico" and "Ácido
... See more
I sometimes dream with colours, sometimes black & white. Sometimes with sounds, sometimes like a silent movie.
Sometimes in french, sometimes in spanish... and time to time, in english and catalan.
Sometimes nice dreams, sometimes just plain nightmares.

The other day, in my dream, I found the key words I was looking for days. Fantastic!

In fact, it was monolingual, a kind of word joke in spanish between "Ácido fórmico", and "Ácido fornico" and "Ácido fólico" and "Ácido fálico" I could'nt remember.

Now I do, thanks to my dream.

So, yes: I do solve translation (among others) problems in my dreams!

Cheers.
Collapse

Catherine Bolton
Catherine Bolton  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:53
italiano al inglés
+ ...
In Memoriam
DAYdreams and... Dec 20, 2006

It happens when I'm daydreaming. I also swim, and on several occasions I've had that answer pop into my head as I'm swimming laps!
Catherine

Uldis Liepkalns
Uldis Liepkalns  Identity Verified
Letonia
Local time: 10:53
Miembro 2003
inglés al letón
+ ...
I do almost daily Dec 20, 2006

But then:

“My father always told me, ‘Find a job you love and you'll never have to work a day in your life.’” --Jim Fox

Uldis

[Rediģēts plkst. 2006-12-20 23:23]

Rafael Molina Pulgar
Rafael Molina Pulgar  Identity Verified
México
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
I bet Freud had thought of this type of manifestation of the subconciousness Dec 21, 2006

About 39% (adding the colleagues who answered Sometimes, Often and Almost every Night), and more than 10% that don't remember (a percentage of whom could also be solving translation problems while asleep) -that's quite a lot. I proposed that poll because it also happens to me quite often, specially if I go to bed late after working on a difficult translation. I wanted to know if I wasn't alone. Now I know I don't have to run to see an analyst. I hope that doesn't interfere with my rest.

Özden Arıkan
Özden Arıkan  Identity Verified
Alemania
inglés al turco
+ ...
Rarely remember my dreams Dec 21, 2006

Because I am a heavy sleeper and it takes me ages to wake up. Still, I did have a couple of translation-related dreams. Not that I tried to solve translation problems, or suddenly came up with the 'right word' in my sleep, though, but after a yachting translation I had long conversations with a group of whales (they were speaking a perfect Queen's English). And once, I was driving a car in my dream which had no brake pedals and kept on getting accelerated - this one, which should be better class... See more
Because I am a heavy sleeper and it takes me ages to wake up. Still, I did have a couple of translation-related dreams. Not that I tried to solve translation problems, or suddenly came up with the 'right word' in my sleep, though, but after a yachting translation I had long conversations with a group of whales (they were speaking a perfect Queen's English). And once, I was driving a car in my dream which had no brake pedals and kept on getting accelerated - this one, which should be better classified as a nightmare, was right after I had completed the safety-related module of an automotive translation I also have a faint memory of some earlier dreams where characters from fiction translations appeared in various occasionsCollapse

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 04:53
Miembro 2003
inglés al español
+ ...
Yes!!! Dec 21, 2006

I once fought for nearly an hour with a long segment. In the end I got tired and went to sleep.
I dreamt about the complete segment and found the right translation. I woke up, got up in the middle of the night and darted to the computer to type it before I forgot it!

Fortunately it only happened once, otherwise I would visit a shrink

Nice poll, glad I am not alone...
See more
I once fought for nearly an hour with a long segment. In the end I got tired and went to sleep.
I dreamt about the complete segment and found the right translation. I woke up, got up in the middle of the night and darted to the computer to type it before I forgot it!

Fortunately it only happened once, otherwise I would visit a shrink

Nice poll, glad I am not alone

Cheers,
Andrea
Collapse

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 03:53
francés al inglés
Wrong side of the brain, Dec 21, 2006

at least as far as I'm designed. My dreams are very right-brain-oriented and, though I can solve problems in dreamland, they are usually not logic, math, or language problems.

You all must be better-integrated than I. I do agree with cbolton's lap-swimming problem-solving phenomenon, though. Best to 'tune out' for the right answer to come, whether it be recalling something you already knew or figuring something out.

May you all get lots and lots of good restorative pro
... See more
at least as far as I'm designed. My dreams are very right-brain-oriented and, though I can solve problems in dreamland, they are usually not logic, math, or language problems.

You all must be better-integrated than I. I do agree with cbolton's lap-swimming problem-solving phenomenon, though. Best to 'tune out' for the right answer to come, whether it be recalling something you already knew or figuring something out.

May you all get lots and lots of good restorative problem-solving sleep over the holidays!

Stephanie

[Edited at 2006-12-21 09:23]
Collapse

Lorenzo Lilli
Lorenzo Lilli  Identity Verified
alemán al italiano
+ ...
Only once Dec 21, 2006

A very interesting topic indeed I usually don't remember my dreams but it happened to me once (in 6 years as a translator) that a great solution for a creative translation (kind of an advertising payoff) came up while I was sleeping. Unfortunately it has never happened again

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
España
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
I must fix this Dec 21, 2006

Stephanie Mitchel wrote:

I must do some translation about brain sides and understand that. I reckon it's the same as in my case: my reprocessing and symbolic searches for solutions while sleeping are more about human relations and personal situations, never about work...

Mijo Schyllert
Mijo Schyllert  Identity Verified
inglés al sueco
+ ...
Only nightmares... Dec 21, 2006

Ivana de Sousa Santos wrote:

But when I'm involved in a big translation I dream about it. The same happens when I have problems, with Trados, fior instance, because of a certain document, I also dream about it. If I spend an evening winaligning documents, I will also dream about it.

Never find a solution, but dream about it.

Definitely dream about Wordfast endlessly repeating itself and repeating itself and freezing and making all the segments bad and and and...;-)

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you solve translation / interpretation problems in your dreams?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »