Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you have a watermark on your resume/CV?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 20, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you have a watermark on your resume/CV?".

This poll was originally submitted by Edward Potter. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 17:18
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
No (never thought of that!) Sep 20, 2015

Anyway, at my age and after working in translation full-time for over 30 years (plus a few years part-time) I am seldom asked for my CV as I have established a good client base and new customers are usually referred by existing clients: word of mouth has been my best advertising!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:18
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Sep 20, 2015

I can't see that it would add to the image of my "brand." Of all the bells and whistles I can think of to dress up a résumé, this would seem like the least important.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 13:18
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
WaterFor? Sep 20, 2015

No, and I think it would give a bad impression on a cv.

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
Spain
Local time: 18:18
Spanish to English
+ ...
Is it possible to include a digital watermark? Sep 20, 2015

I make quite extensive use of watermarks in paper documents, but mainly for style purposes, or as a way of distinguishing between similar looking documents. Now I'm wondering if there is a way of using a watermark as a security feature, like a digital signature... Any comments anyone?

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:18
German to English
+ ...
What would be the reason for having one? Sep 20, 2015

Which sort of goes to, what is the reason the question is being asked?

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Just out of curiosity... Sep 20, 2015

Noni Gilbert wrote:

I make quite extensive use of watermarks in paper documents, but mainly for style purposes, or as a way of distinguishing between similar looking documents. Now I'm wondering if there is a way of using a watermark as a security feature, like a digital signature... Any comments anyone?

... I have found this:
https://support.office.com/en-us/article/Insert-a-watermark-or-change-a-watermark-f90f26a5-2101-4a75-bbfe-f27ef05002de?CorrelationId=455eec5e-84e7-4a92-88e9-b5320f70b59a&ui=en-US&rs=en-US&ad=US

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Yes I do Sep 20, 2015

I've had one for at least three weeks!

It isn't about image, dressing up etc; it's about security. It makes your CV a little less interesting to those who want to steal your identity or use your CV in a tender application. That's the idea anyway.

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
Agree with Sheila Sep 20, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:
It isn't about image, dressing up etc; it's about security. It makes your CV a little less interesting to those who want to steal your identity or use your CV in a tender application. That's the idea anyway.

I find it surprising that not many people are familiar with this term or its uses.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:18
English to Spanish
+ ...
Not the embossed watermark Sep 20, 2015

Hi, Edward! I needed to read some of the responses to understand your question.

There are at least three types of watermark:

1) The conventional watermark on printed documents, which can be embossed or weaved into the paper.

2) An electronic visible watermark, which we typically associate with legal documents, like CONFIDENTIAL or DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

3) A digital, invisible and coded watermark added to a document as a security measure to prevent
... See more
Hi, Edward! I needed to read some of the responses to understand your question.

There are at least three types of watermark:

1) The conventional watermark on printed documents, which can be embossed or weaved into the paper.

2) An electronic visible watermark, which we typically associate with legal documents, like CONFIDENTIAL or DO NOT DISTRIBUTE.

3) A digital, invisible and coded watermark added to a document as a security measure to prevent counterfeiting or inappropriate disclosure.

I am certain there are other variations. A more detailed discussion on what types of watermark are useful on a resume or CV would be most welcome.
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 18:18
Member (2006)
German to English
Seriously Sep 20, 2015

What for?
How often do you send your CV anywhere as self employed?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Call it what you will Sep 20, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:
What for?

Not a classic job-seeker's CV of course. It could be called another name but it's the one that outsourcers always use and all direct clients are familiar with the term.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 01:18
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I am not a 20-year-old job seeker Sep 21, 2015

Just out of university. Too old to call it a CV.

Sheila Wilson wrote:

Michael Harris wrote:
What for?

Not a classic job-seeker's CV of course. It could be called another name but it's the one that outsourcers always use and all direct clients are familiar with the term.

So, I call it my Capabilities Brochure since established businesses have them.

As for 'watermark,' I have a purple pimpernel birthmark, but I'm not telling you where it is.

[Edited at 2015-09-21 03:57 GMT]

[Edited at 2015-09-21 04:33 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Different markets require different CV approaches Sep 21, 2015

Michael Harris wrote:

What for?

Living and working in the US, I am well aware of what local clients, translation agencies and corporations require when it comes to resumes or CVs. However, I can't presume to extrapolate my local situation to everywhere else on the planet.

New customers, whether they're headhunters looking for a translator to fill a 3-month assignment or translation agencies, request a resume or CV. Word of mouth often negates this necessity but sending a CV nonetheless is seen as good business practice and a sign of good manners.

Not all self-employed translators only do translation. Many of us provide an array of services and we advertise them in several ways. One of those ways is a well-crafted resume. I use an infographic CV for that purpose.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Digital watermarks Sep 21, 2015

Noni Gilbert wrote:

One way I handle the protection of my CV is by creating an image file of it. Example: http://www.wordsmeet.com/what-ive-done/

I also provide PDF versions of my Word-based conventional resume. Sure, anybody could copy and paste information from that PDF file, but it's going to be more trouble than it's worth.

Your question is valid, though: you may add security features, like a password, to your Word resume or PDF resume.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have a watermark on your resume/CV?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »