Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you grant discounts for large projects?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 9, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you grant discounts for large projects?".

View the poll results »

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 10:16
English to Italian
NO, why should I? Jan 9, 2015

Large project means a large amount of time in order to have it done, also it means a longer time in order to do all the necessary quality control.
Discount for large project = higher rate for short projects?

Rate is something that gives a value to my work and therefore to my time, so large projects = more time = more money at the end of the job.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No, never Jan 9, 2015

I use a CAT tool for technical translations and that is sorted out there.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Sometimes Jan 9, 2015

Large doesn't always mean good.

I do give spontaneous discounts when I think the situation merits it. "Large projects" may or may not be a case in point. If the deadline is long or open, then I have no problem taking on work. However, I have a few regular clients who I need to service, some of them on an almost daily basis, and they tend to bear in mind that I might not always be able to drop everything and take up their "projects". If any new "large project" looks likely to interfe
... See more
Large doesn't always mean good.

I do give spontaneous discounts when I think the situation merits it. "Large projects" may or may not be a case in point. If the deadline is long or open, then I have no problem taking on work. However, I have a few regular clients who I need to service, some of them on an almost daily basis, and they tend to bear in mind that I might not always be able to drop everything and take up their "projects". If any new "large project" looks likely to interfere with my dedication to my regulars, then I might reject it outright.
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 11:16
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Sometimes ... Jan 9, 2015

My rates are flexible within a range and I vary the fee I charge within that range, depending on the project, so also sometimes for large projects.
I consider each project seperately and don't necessarily charge less because a project is large.
I also wouldn't charge less than the fixed range I find acceptable, no matter how large the project.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:16
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Jan 9, 2015

My regulars know my rates and I have never been asked for discounts (but occasionally I have given discounts at my sole discretion). For new clients, each job is quoted individually, based on complexity, formatting, deadline of the project and other practical circumstances.

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:16
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Never Jan 9, 2015

I was recently faced with an offer of a large project for "slightly less" than my regular rate. If anything, I would prefer to charge *more*, not less, for a large project. Even though the material becomes familiar, controlling consistency--not just mechanical consistency, but the overall approach to the text--is very demanding and more than offsets the advantages. Furthermore, I want to stay available for my other clients; a large project takes me out of service and undermines the rest of my bu... See more
I was recently faced with an offer of a large project for "slightly less" than my regular rate. If anything, I would prefer to charge *more*, not less, for a large project. Even though the material becomes familiar, controlling consistency--not just mechanical consistency, but the overall approach to the text--is very demanding and more than offsets the advantages. Furthermore, I want to stay available for my other clients; a large project takes me out of service and undermines the rest of my business.

BTW, we had this question not too long ago.
Collapse

Markus Perndl
Markus Perndl
Austria
Italian to German
+ ...
No, never Jan 9, 2015

Why should I? Translating a larger document means that I have to refuse other, maybe better paid projects. So if I charged a different rate for larger projects, then this would be a higher rate!

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Je suis Charlie Jan 9, 2015

I have just taken on a large project with a long deadline, and turned down another.

The first is for a small private publisher, and I reckon it will 'glide' fairly easily, so the rate is at the lower end of my scale. The other one was just too much of a good thing, and I recommended a colleague who knows more about the subject matter.

Last year I struggled with a large project, although I really enjoyed it as well. Still, I ended up really 'burnt out' at the end of it.
... See more
I have just taken on a large project with a long deadline, and turned down another.

The first is for a small private publisher, and I reckon it will 'glide' fairly easily, so the rate is at the lower end of my scale. The other one was just too much of a good thing, and I recommended a colleague who knows more about the subject matter.

Last year I struggled with a large project, although I really enjoyed it as well. Still, I ended up really 'burnt out' at the end of it. No, I do not give discounts for large projects either, and often wonder whether I should charge extra instead!
Collapse

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Quotes hidden post
Exactitude
Exactitude  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Norwegian
+ ...
I enjoy large project so much Jan 9, 2015

that I'm willing to listen to reasonable offers provided the deadline is a good fit for my schedule.

[Edited at 2015-01-09 11:17 GMT]

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
No, never Jan 9, 2015

and I don't see the logic - unless you have very little work and are desperate, which is not the case with me.

[Edited at 2015-01-09 11:25 GMT]

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
I'm more likely to charge a premium Jan 9, 2015

For this very reason:

Rita Utt wrote:

Big projects prevent me from taking other work, so that I may get problems with other clients. So they do have disadvantages too.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you grant discounts for large projects?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »