Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you grant discounts for large projects?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Local time: 13:31
danés al inglés
+ ...
Yes Jan 9, 2015

With one major client, I have a standing agreement for a 10 % discount on projects of more than 20,000 words.

In my view, such projects become a case of 'economies of scale'. Focusing on one particular subject for a set period of time does increase my working speed, so I can afford to give the discount.

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
España
español al inglés
+ ...
Mmm... Jan 9, 2015

Accept less money because there's more work?

Isn't that the economic theory behind how migrant workers, field laborers or large fast-food chain employees are paid?

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Jared Tabor
Jared Tabor
Local time: 08:31
PERSONAL DEL SITIO
Reminder about ProZ.com's limited scope Jan 9, 2015

Hi all,

Just a reminder about ProZ.com's scope, which is limited: http://www.proz.com/scope

Thanks for your understanding.

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Federación Rusa
Local time: 14:31
inglés al ruso
+ ...
Why length? Jan 9, 2015

I can offer a discount for an easy text in a convenient format with an easy deadline or I can offer a discount to a promising or long-standing client. Length of the project is per se not a reason for discount. It can be a long, difficult and tedious project in PDF format, with drawings, charts, etc. and a tight deadline.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 07:31
inglés al español
+ ...
Discounts are an exception in my business model Jan 9, 2015

I recently submitted 3 quotes for a 55,000-word technical manual. The customer is a good one and we have a good rapport.

Why 3 quotes for the same job? Well, the original I was given is a PDF file with tons of graphics that may need callouts or localization...which I can do for an extra fee. I didn't discount my translation fees but I did offer a slightly lower number of hours to perform the layout.

I stand to make good money with any of the quotes.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2009
inglés al alemán
+ ...
No Jan 12, 2015

Gianluca Marras wrote:

Large project means a large amount of time in order to have it done, also it means a longer time in order to do all the necessary quality control.
Discount for large project = higher rate for short projects?

Rate is something that gives a value to my work and therefore to my time, so large projects = more time = more money at the end of the job.

A discount for larger projects only makes sense when applying higher rates for small(er) projects.

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you grant discounts for large projects?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »