Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Have you ever worked on a translation outdoors?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 01:14
inglés al italiano
lovely Apr 22, 2009

when I visit my parents for long periods, i work outside, they hsve a big veranda, maybe I produce lee, but I feel so good!

Sarah Silva
Sarah Silva  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 00:14
Miembro 2008
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Tied to my phone Apr 22, 2009

Do you all have cordless telephones? I seem to be tied to my phone at the moment, one customer in particular prefers telephoning to discuss job assignments and then follows up by email. It sounds like I need to invest in a cordless phone and enjoy the great weather like the rest of you

Laura Morwood
Laura Morwood  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
The most depressing subject ever...? Apr 22, 2009

Wow, reading all your comments has really put me down. Swimming pools, grapevines, views over the Mediterranean... I live in Northern Ireland and crave sunshine most of the year... even in summer! To be comfortable outside, it would have to be at least 22C and that doesn't happen too often. Don't get me wrong, it's a beautiful country and I love living here. I just wish it would warm up a little.

Louisa Berry
Louisa Berry
Reino Unido
Miembro 2009
alemán al inglés
Sitting in the garden atm :) Apr 22, 2009

Its rather warm and sunny for the time of year in the UK atm, so I'm sitting in the communal gardens of our block of flats, as we live on the ground floor my laptop power cable is plugged in and running out the living room window

I look forward to more of this and i think i need to invest in one of those laptop screens... its not too bad atm, im putting
... See more
Its rather warm and sunny for the time of year in the UK atm, so I'm sitting in the communal gardens of our block of flats, as we live on the ground floor my laptop power cable is plugged in and running out the living room window

I look forward to more of this and i think i need to invest in one of those laptop screens... its not too bad atm, im putting up with it for the advantage of working outside, the garden is mostly shaded by large trees which helps

Wishes sunshine for everyone who wants it
Collapse

JLLTranslation
JLLTranslation
Reino Unido
francés al inglés
+ ...
we should have bumper stickers.... Apr 22, 2009

"translators do it outdoors"

Sorry, just the wording of the poll question made me chuckle thinking that!!!!!!

Carla Catolino
Carla Catolino
Italia
Miembro 2008
italiano al inglés
+ ...
I am thinking of.... Apr 22, 2009

working from my house in Mexico for the summer. I have a "palapa" near my pool and am thinking of working from there, while the kids enjoy the pool. I hope that I will be productive!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 16:14
Miembro 2003
español al inglés
+ ...
Yes, under a vine-covered pergola Apr 22, 2009

neilmac wrote:

... on a well-shaded (for screen visibility) terrace with grape vines hangiing overhead...

I'm blessed with a patio covered with a very old Mexican Red Trumpet Vine (Distictis buccinatoria). I try to spend as much time there as possible - and in San Diego, the weather cooperates.

Trees are good places to work under, too. I have learned in my landscape design classes that any properly designed outdoor space should include a shaded area that provides a manmade or natural "ceiling" with a place to sit underneath.

In my indoor office I've installed two 2 x 4 ft skylights, one of them openable, over my working area, so that I have sky overhead. It has turned out to be a perfect arrangement. With the window open, I feel as if I am outdoors. Previously, I had to use artificial light all day long.

Mats Wiman
Mats Wiman  Identity Verified
Suecia
Miembro 2000
alemán al sueco
+ ...
In Memoriam
Oh YES with a cardboard box Apr 23, 2009

I think the LapDome and Compushade are too expensive if you are at home.

I have used cardboard boxes (e.g. removal boxes @ $ 2,50) and it works beautifully.

If it's too hot your productivity tends to go down though

Eilzabeth Taryn Toro
Eilzabeth Taryn Toro
Alemania
Miembro 2006
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Sure Apr 23, 2009

I've worked in parks and in Scotland ... using wireless technology and a really long extension cord because my laptop needs a new battery.

Umbrellas are really useful for being able to keep the laptop screen in the shade while getting some sun yourself

It's great ...

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever worked on a translation outdoors?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »