Dr. Derk von Moock
Dr. Derk von Moock
Grecia
Local time: 07:54
griego al alemán
+ ...
Voive reader Jul 16, 2007

@ICL Hi,

On the other hand, although I like the idea behind this program, I just listened to some voice samples in its corresponding website and, if I can be honest, I find it a bit "slow" to listen to.

You can adjust the speed and other parameters. I do this with different purposes. The robot -sound doesn't bother me anymore, because when I want to hear a superb voice I put a CD into my Cd-player or talk to the beloved ones (or viceversa). But I think after months of testing, Voice reader is the only program you can get used to. You even can teach it to speak, but I don't do that anymore because it takes some time as they don't tell you the rules of Voice reading phonetics.

Greetings Derk

Lia Fail (X)
Lia Fail (X)  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 06:54
español al inglés
+ ...
DNS Jul 16, 2007

Patricia Rosas wrote:

Then I bought Dragon 9, and now I have it read the text aloud in one "Reading Layout" pane with the original in another pane. I read the original while listening to the translation.

How do you do that?

Claire Cox
Claire Cox
Reino Unido
Local time: 05:54
francés al inglés
+ ...
Paper every time Jul 16, 2007

Lia Fail wrote:

mab-trad wrote:

Just one thing!
Think about all those trees! It's nice to feel your own work but...is it really necessary?

I'd think twice before printing. Everybody should.

Anyway, I prefer to read from the screen.

You think twice before printing BECAUSE you prefer to read from the screen:-)

Maybe it works for you, but I consider print-reading to be a crucial aspect of my own quality control (I use recycled paper, recycled cartridges etc....I'm very "waste" conscious, in fact ... but consider printing an absolutely necessary part of my work)

I agree with Lia and John - I have to print my translations off and I always find things I've missed on screen. It must be better for your eyes to have a change from staring at the computer screen too! Like Lia, I'm really waste-aware and print on both sides of the paper and on the back of junk letters, then shred potentially sensitive stuff for my compost heap or recycle the rest, so I really think I'm doing my best for trees.... I've planted a fair few in my time as well! I used to print off pdf files as reference documents, but having two screens has done away with the need for that, thank goodness.

Steven Capsuto
Steven Capsuto  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 00:54
español al inglés
+ ...
Depends... Jul 17, 2007

At the moment, I'm taking an approach not listed on the survey: while editing, I'm muttering indecent comments about the person who did the so-called translation, and am speculating wildly about what his or her native language might be... since it clearly isn't English.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 01:54
Miembro 2004
alemán al español
+ ...
Hm... Jul 17, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:
At the moment, I'm taking an approach not listed on the survey: while editing, I'm muttering indecent comments about the person who did the so-called translation, and am speculating wildly about what his or her native language might be... since it clearly isn't English.

As long as you keep those comments for the intimate part of your person...

Perfectly understandable. 'Cos sometimes you must re-do the whole translation once again!

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 22:54
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
Silence :) Jul 17, 2007

I read it silently from the original printed text.

Martina Höppner (X)
Martina Höppner (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:54
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Depends on the translation Jul 17, 2007

I think it depends a lot on the type of translation. I proofread on the screen where it is possible. And yes, wasting paper is one argument for me. I still produce way to much paper waste.
But if I know something is printed and nobody is going to read it after me, I will print it out and proofread on paper.

Deborah do Carmo
Deborah do Carmo  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 05:54
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
Free Version vs. Purchased Version Jul 17, 2007

ICL wrote:

Hi,

Dr. Derk von Moock wrote:

To avoid my eyes gliding over the text (they do it more easily when it is my own translation) I let the nice girl of "Voice Reader" read it to me loud.

Thanks also for this tip.

On the other hand, although I like the idea behind this program, I just listened to some voice samples in its corresponding website and, if I can be honest, I find it a bit "slow" to listen to. It reminded me of some of those airport recordings announcing the departure of a flight, where you can perfectly hear those "unnatural" seconds of pause between words.

I think if I had to listen to the more or less 2000 words per day I produce, I would probably end up falling asleep, because it still sounds a bit like a robot to me.

I think this program can actually be extremely useful in other cases. For example, for people who have moderate to serious eyesight problems.

But hey, if some people, like yourself, find it not so slow to listen to, great...

About the poll question, I prefer to read (a couple times) on screen, mainly to avoid consuming paper.

Good night,

Ivette

Hi Ivette,

Just to let you know, you can adjust the speed and there are a wide range of voices available if you purchase the software (including US and UK variations).

Keep well
Debs

John Cutler
John Cutler  Identity Verified
España
español al inglés
+ ...
Recycling Jul 17, 2007

Just to add a note to yesterday’s comment… I also use both sides of the paper when printing documents and, once used up, everything goes into the paper recycling bin across the street. I’m an avid recycler!
Another great way to save on ink (printing) costs is to adjust the printer settings to “draft”. It reduces the amount of ink used.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
España
inglés al español
+ ...
A bit off-topic (@ Dr. Derk and Lawyer-Linguist, about Voice Reader) Jul 17, 2007

Good day,

Thanks to both of you for the tip about the possibility of adjusting the voice speed or the type of voice.

However, I still dislike the kind of abrupt pauses and odd accents on some syllables (I listened to the Castillian and Mexican Spanish voices) and the fact that I feel that I'm listening to a bit more refined version of C3PO or R2D2 (and btw, I love those 2 robots!).

Call me a bit old-fashioned about human voices.... But yes, Dr. Derk, wouldn
... See more
Good day,

Thanks to both of you for the tip about the possibility of adjusting the voice speed or the type of voice.

However, I still dislike the kind of abrupt pauses and odd accents on some syllables (I listened to the Castillian and Mexican Spanish voices) and the fact that I feel that I'm listening to a bit more refined version of C3PO or R2D2 (and btw, I love those 2 robots!).

Call me a bit old-fashioned about human voices.... But yes, Dr. Derk, wouldn't it be great to have, let's say, some soprano or tenor voices that sounded more natural? Imagine a Pavarotti voice reading your technical manual about cranes....

Best,

Ivette
Collapse

megane_wang
megane_wang  Identity Verified
España
Miembro 2007
inglés al español
+ ...
Yes, this TOO! Jul 17, 2007

Steven Capsuto wrote:

I sometimes proofread other's jobs, and even though most experiences are good, sometimes I use this approach too. The worst point is that I know that the translator was a Spanish native...

When I do it "for me", I usually print 4 pages per sheet at draft quality and I read them silently. But I usually do half of the job "with X", where X is some colleague involved in the document subject field.

Ruth @ MW

[Edited at 2007-07-17 09:47]

Francesca Pesce
Francesca Pesce  Identity Verified
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Human (friendly) voice Jul 17, 2007

I always proofread with a friend. She reads out loud (from the screen) and I listen while checking the original on another pc. No printing.

It saves time. And it is quite efficient. We have been doing this for years so by now we are quite well tested. We can change the speed according to the text. She knows when to slow down and when to speed up. She knows where I usually do spelling mistakes, etc.

We have determined the economic "value" of her help, and it has been w
... See more
I always proofread with a friend. She reads out loud (from the screen) and I listen while checking the original on another pc. No printing.

It saves time. And it is quite efficient. We have been doing this for years so by now we are quite well tested. We can change the speed according to the text. She knows when to slow down and when to speed up. She knows where I usually do spelling mistakes, etc.

We have determined the economic "value" of her help, and it has been working very well.
Collapse

Fernando D. Walker
Fernando D. Walker  Identity Verified

Local time: 01:54
inglés al español
+ ...
Good, John! Jul 17, 2007

[quote]I also use both sides of the paper when printing documents and, once used up, everything goes into the paper recycling bin across the street. I’m an avid recycler![quote]

Good for you, John!!! It is an excellent attitude It is also important to care about our Mother Nature. We need to remember that nowadays the world is in danger, so we have to be conscious about that.

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When you proofread your work you:

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »