Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Are you active on the ProZ.com's forums?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Jack Doughty
Jack Doughty  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 18:29
ruso al inglés
+ ...
In Memoriam
Encourage non-native speakers in foreign language forums too. Oct 3, 2006

I think many people are reluctant to post in a language of which they are not a native speaker, knowing that what they write will not be perfect and may be criticized, but I think they should be encouraged to try, and that the native speakers in that forum should help them. I must say that on the rare occasions when I have done this, particularly in the Russian and Spanish forums, I have always found everyone very friendly and helpful.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Local time: 19:29
Miembro 2003
danés al inglés
+ ...
342 in 3 years Oct 3, 2006

When I first joined, it took me a while to pluck up the courage to contribute to the forums.

Now I've discovered how friendly everyone is... and they're my lifeline at coffee breaks, since I don't have office colleagues to chat to.

Reed is right, life is too short, and I should be out getting some fresh air, shopping, contacting local friends as opposed to virtual ones...

But hardly a day goes by without checking the list of forums, the lighter side or of
... See more
When I first joined, it took me a while to pluck up the courage to contribute to the forums.

Now I've discovered how friendly everyone is... and they're my lifeline at coffee breaks, since I don't have office colleagues to chat to.

Reed is right, life is too short, and I should be out getting some fresh air, shopping, contacting local friends as opposed to virtual ones...

But hardly a day goes by without checking the list of forums, the lighter side or off topic, and of course 'my' languages, though most members of those communities use the English forums. I don't spend many minutes on it at a time, but I visit the site many times each day. It breaks the isolation, so thanks to those who do contribute.

You're real friends too!

And the polls - no matter how lightweight or serious, I'm in the statistics!

Quite apart from the Trados Help forum. Ralf and Jerzy seem to have an answer to every problem I've run into. How they find the time beats me, but THANK YOU!

But now I do need a breath of fresh air...
Collapse

Kunik
Kunik  Identity Verified
inglés al letón
+ ...
I would like to post more... Oct 3, 2006

... but have had my share living in a totalitarian country, so I do not want to be subjected to the censorship more than it is strictly necessary. I better hold my tongue than have someone else to hold it for me.

Sophia Hundt (X)
Sophia Hundt (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 12:29
ruso al inglés
+ ...
I like it Oct 3, 2006

I enjoy both reading and posting if I feel like I have something valuable to offer. I especially enjoy the Russian forum, especially the off-topic discussions, since it's just so interesting to see what on the mind of Russian immigrants like myself, as well as people living in Russian-speaking countries.

Andrea Ali
Andrea Ali  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 14:29
Miembro 2003
inglés al español
+ ...
Thanks for the info! Oct 3, 2006

Henry wrote:

Andrea Ali wrote:
Most members (ie. paying members) have never posted in the forums at all. And only 20% of members have posted to the forums more than once in the last 6 months. The percentage of non-members posting to the forums is even lower.

Are you making direct reference to this poll or to other stats? If it is the former, 500 votes would not be that representative. I guess you must be talking about other stats. I am curious about it!

Database stats. Most members have never posted.

I imagined you were not talking about this poll.

Maybe some prozians are too shy?

HugZ,
Andrea

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
España
inglés al español
+ ...
A bit late, but... Oct 4, 2006

I chose that I participate "only on some issues", but I fully agree with Reed, because, for example, in this specific poll's case, I "missed/arrived late at" this thread precisely because I am usually busy with my own personal/work life.

Of course, I greatly appreciate the community-oriented value (as long as it is *positive*) of Proz.com's forums, like the help or mere interaction you can obtain/provide about various aspects/topics (from work-related to personal/off-topic), which i
... See more
I chose that I participate "only on some issues", but I fully agree with Reed, because, for example, in this specific poll's case, I "missed/arrived late at" this thread precisely because I am usually busy with my own personal/work life.

Of course, I greatly appreciate the community-oriented value (as long as it is *positive*) of Proz.com's forums, like the help or mere interaction you can obtain/provide about various aspects/topics (from work-related to personal/off-topic), which includes the potential to making friends or networking with kindred colleagues.

On the other hand, playing a bit psychoanalyst/psychologist, I would say (and it is more or less a proven fact, see http://www.rider.edu/~suler/psycyber/getneed.html and/or http://www.bewebaware.ca/english/internetaddiction.aspx ) that excessive participation in forums *could* (notice I said *could*) be the sign of an addiction, so this "side effect" is definitely something not to be overlooked.

Of course, anything can become an addiction (from MTV to gardening to Internet use in general), but I would not be the least surprised if, in the case of us, translators (or language professionals in general), it is probably a lot easier to become addicted to forum participation precisely because of our constant written language usage/reading...

Regards,

Ivette
Collapse

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 13:29
inglés al francés
+ ...
It's warm, it's fuzzy - hey! It's Pareto's rule! Nov 2, 2006

Isn't it funny that 5+% talk and 30+% silently listen?

I like looking at the forum views. Sometimes, there are threads with zero replies and 300 views...

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you active on the ProZ.com's forums?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »