Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which CAT tool do you prefer to use?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Michele Santiago
Michele Santiago  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 14:27
inglés al portugués
+ ...
To Ian Jul 1, 2012

Ian Jones wrote:

I answered 'Other' because the market (and marketing) dictates that I need to use Trados. I'm not happy with it but my clients require it. It's not a preference, but a necessity.

Hi Ian,

As I replied to Julian, my interest in suggesting this polls is to know what is the most preferred CAT tool. I know the market requires mostly Trados, although I have a few clients that request for other tools, but we all have our preferences - even for not using any CAT tool at all.

Thanks for replying and hope you have a great Sunday!

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:27
inglés al español
+ ...
I prefer Deja Vu... but it's not a perfect solution Jul 1, 2012

I've been using Trados Workbench since 1998 and Deja Vu 3.0 since 1999. I upgraded these two programs as time went by, but I am stopping at Trados 2009/SDL Studio. Why? SDL's ridiculous policy of tacking minor improvements in exchange for hundreds of dollars in each new iteration.

My other beef with Trados/SDL is MultiTerm, a piece of bloatware that hasn't changed much since the late 90s. Compared to MultiTerm, the termbase feature of Deja Vu requires F11 on a selected segment to ad
... See more
I've been using Trados Workbench since 1998 and Deja Vu 3.0 since 1999. I upgraded these two programs as time went by, but I am stopping at Trados 2009/SDL Studio. Why? SDL's ridiculous policy of tacking minor improvements in exchange for hundreds of dollars in each new iteration.

My other beef with Trados/SDL is MultiTerm, a piece of bloatware that hasn't changed much since the late 90s. Compared to MultiTerm, the termbase feature of Deja Vu requires F11 on a selected segment to add it to the termbase instead of the 7 clicks you have to run on MultiTerm to achieve the same result.

I currently use Deja Vu X 7.5 and X2 8.0.555, heavily so, especially with Office docs and InDesign documents (INX and IDML). Overall good results. Deja Vu and Trados/SDL are head to head in handling IDML files, though, and it is faster for me to run it on TagEditor sometimes.

Right now, I am working on four Word files and Trados Workbench 2007. Opening and closing each 100% match is. A. PAIN. It takes 4 seconds to open, then close and open the next 100% match segment (and I'm using the keyboard combination CTRL+ALT+Add key).

I disagree that the market "requires" Trados. We are part of the market too. If we invite an otherwise recalcitrant client bent on using only Trados, we can persuade him to accept the deliverables from any CAT tool, as long as they are in a standard format.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japón
Local time: 02:27
Miembro 2011
japonés al inglés
To Michelle Jul 1, 2012

Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the message. I had a great Sunday, thank you!

The point about my post is the procedure -- or lack of -- used for selecting polls. I haven't seen your name pop up a lot in polls, so I'm assuming you're relatively new to this neighborhood.

When you -- like I have done so many times -- suggest a poll, one of the guidelines laid down by this site is, quote:

"Ensure that a similar question has not been asked recently by s
... See more
Hi Michelle,

Thanks for the message. I had a great Sunday, thank you!

The point about my post is the procedure -- or lack of -- used for selecting polls. I haven't seen your name pop up a lot in polls, so I'm assuming you're relatively new to this neighborhood.

When you -- like I have done so many times -- suggest a poll, one of the guidelines laid down by this site is, quote:

"Ensure that a similar question has not been asked recently by searching for key terms"

This is a Proz guideline and it's up to Proz poll selectors, moderators, etc. to monitor and enforce their own rules to

- prevent repetition and rehashing of poll topics, and
- ensure healthy, robust and lively discussion about diverse and varying subjects that are of concern and importance to translators on this site.

In isolation, your poll question itself is fine and warrants discussion. No doubt about that.
However, it is very similar in content to the April 18 poll, which as I stated naturally led to positive discussion about various preferred CAT tools. Similarity was inevitable from the natural outcome of the question -- people discussed pros and cons and their personal preferences.

In the past several months, it has become clearly apparent that Proz personnel could be much more diligent in screening and vetting poll topics in accordance with their own rules. They have allowed repetitious and rehashed polls, and sometimes polls that have nothing to do with translation -- in some cases quite intrusive - to be posted. This not only conflicts with Proz's own guideliness but is also a cause of frustration to quite a few of us who are tired of seeing the same or similar topics frequently cropping up.

In this respect, if you have some spare time, I recommend doing a search of archived polls using "CAT tool" as the keyword. you'll be surprised at how many hits you'll find for 2011 alone.

Everyone would have been spared my comment if Proz personnel had done their work and allowed a fresh crop of polls to sprout.

"Time for bed," said Zebedee.

Good night and happy translating!
Collapse

Nina Khmielnitzky
Nina Khmielnitzky  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 13:27
inglés al francés
Jive Fusion Jul 1, 2012

Locally produced software (in Quebec) which looks a lot like Trados, but with better customer service.

Nahit Karataşlı
Nahit Karataşlı  Identity Verified
Turquía
Local time: 20:27
inglés al turco
+ ...
Swordfish Jul 1, 2012

www.maxprograms.com

Luca Tutino
Luca Tutino  Identity Verified
Italia
Miembro 2002
inglés al italiano
+ ...
And Transit? Jul 1, 2012

I surprised that it was not included in the list, and not even mentioned in a 2 pages long discussion.

Clarisa Moraña
Clarisa Moraña  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 12:27
Miembro 2002
inglés al español
+ ...
What about Transit and Swordfish? Jul 1, 2012

Is it really that the answerers really prefer a certain tool or it is the only one that they have? I don't have Swordfish, but certainly it is a CAT tool loved by its users. Without doubt, Deja Vu users, really love DV.
Which is the one I prefer? Transit NXT! (BTW, I do have Studio, Wordfast, OmegaT, Across, and memoQ).

Regards

Clarisa

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 11:27
inglés al español
+ ...
In Memoriam
Other - NONE Jul 2, 2012

NONE... Now why, may I ask, is that not an option?

Time for bed, all right.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Local time: 19:27
danés al inglés
+ ...
Trados 2007 Jul 2, 2012

I'm still using the 'old' version of Trados, having used Trados since 2000 and gradually working my way through a number of versions, and I wouldn't dream of NOT using it for practically any translation job. It serves me perfectly and it has become second nature to use its quite simple functions. To me, it is an excellent tool (and no, I don't get paid by SDL to say this), but I admit that I work almost exclusively with Word files, so that may have something to do with it seeming a very practica... See more
I'm still using the 'old' version of Trados, having used Trados since 2000 and gradually working my way through a number of versions, and I wouldn't dream of NOT using it for practically any translation job. It serves me perfectly and it has become second nature to use its quite simple functions. To me, it is an excellent tool (and no, I don't get paid by SDL to say this), but I admit that I work almost exclusively with Word files, so that may have something to do with it seeming a very practical and useful tool.

I am baffled at the gripes from so many translators about Trados, also in relation to MultiTerm, which, again, serves my purposes just fine.

Mind you, I haven't switched to Studio 2011 yet - I have it installed, just can't be bothered to switch to it, especially becaused I don't like the 'SDLX-like' look of it and the fact that you can't alter source text segments as you go along. Also, the amount of trouble people seem to have with Studio 2011 (judging from the SDL Trados support forum) puts me off a bit. In all my years of working with Trados, I don't recall having as many problems as I have seen listed here over the last six months!
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
España
Local time: 19:27
español al inglés
+ ...
Same here Jul 2, 2012

Marjolein Snippe wrote:

Makes my life a lot easier - although in all honesty I haven't tried many others as this one just works for me.

I found WF Classic quick to learn the basics and get up and running. It's comparatively economical and I'm happy with the proactive help I've had with any issues. No need for me to look any further, although I might try another tool out sometime just out of curiosity.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japón
Local time: 02:27
Miembro 2011
japonés al inglés
Nice analogy Jul 2, 2012

Lucia Colombino wrote:
it's like taking off my high heels when I get back from a party...

Lucia, nicely put -- I think I'll try using this one myself.

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which CAT tool do you prefer to use?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »