Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Which is the best way to improve your vocabulary?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Robert Forstag
Robert Forstag  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 11:50
español al inglés
+ ...
All of the above and,..... May 28, 2012

in line (I think) with the point about meaningful/important/necessary information more readily passing into long-term memory, what I found helpful in my initial stages of Spanish-language acquisition (defined broadly as my first 10 years or so of learning the language) was reading Spanish translations of works I had already read and enjoyed in English.

jhdarsee
jhdarsee  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 09:50
Miembro 2010
inglés al sueco
Radio on the Internet May 28, 2012

I find listening to the radio in the languages I work with very useful for this. Now since you can listen from anywhere via the internet you can listen to programs in other parts of the world on your own time. I find listening to different types of programs: News, science programs, kultural programs very useful, especially to keep up with new expressions used in different topics.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
inglés al español
+ ...
An obvious answer was omitted May 28, 2012

Emma Goldsmith wrote:

I selected "look up words" because I'm very taken with the dictionary feature on my new(ish) Kindle.
When I read books in the past I'd rarely look up words I didn't know because I didn't have a dictionary to hand or I was too engrossed in the book itself.

Now, with the Kindle, you just put the cursor in front of the word and the definition comes up from the pre-installed dictionaries. It has good quality dictionaries in lots of different languages.

It's improved my source and target language vocabulary, without a doubt.

Agreed. How come dictionaries are not even given an option in this poll?

I grew up looking up unknown or difficult words. Decades later, I still look up words. I don't consciously set out to improve my vocabulary. I prefer a more 'holistic' approach that involves dozens of sources: TV, movies, closed captioning in them, magazines, books, online articles, verbal conversations, radio programs, emails, etc. There is not a single best way to improve one's vocabulary. If we are curious and dilligent and good researchers, we'll learn new words and nuances along the way. And we don't have to be translators to do it. It's part of the human experience.

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 08:50
Miembro 2006
noruego al inglés
+ ...
Needing a word May 28, 2012

Ty Kendall wrote:

One thing I'm sure of is (from my own experience and from teacher training) - if you really want to learn vocabulary and for it to stick - then you have to create a need for it. A language learner (we are all still language learners!) has to NEED the word for some reason - to complete a thought, to express themselves, to communicate a specific idea etc.

Or the need to understand a word encountered in speech or writing. Comprehensible input has always worked for me.

tradu-grace
tradu-grace  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 17:50
inglés al italiano
+ ...
agree with Ty and Karin plus May 28, 2012

crossword puzzles.

Nikki Scott-Despaigne
Nikki Scott-Despaigne  Identity Verified
Local time: 17:50
francés al inglés
Got carried away May 28, 2012

Original qualifications and experience are in law and languages. I became interested in how the brain works with language, read a lot about autism in particular, got interested in neuroscience in general and ended up doing a research masters in biology and cognitive neuroscience in the country of adoption. Loads of reading in both languages enabling comparison of approaches and just the pure knowledge, which I have every intention of using. Vocabulary, well yes; loads of it! And for a break, I'v... See more
Original qualifications and experience are in law and languages. I became interested in how the brain works with language, read a lot about autism in particular, got interested in neuroscience in general and ended up doing a research masters in biology and cognitive neuroscience in the country of adoption. Loads of reading in both languages enabling comparison of approaches and just the pure knowledge, which I have every intention of using. Vocabulary, well yes; loads of it! And for a break, I've got back into reading. All the time. Technical stuff, novels, plays, poetry... my fluency has taken a big step forward. And then there's the fact that when you read in one anguage, you tend to enhance the vocabulary of your other language(s).

[Edited at 2012-05-28 22:29 GMT]
Collapse

Stephanie Mitchel
Stephanie Mitchel  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
francés al inglés
All of the above May 28, 2012

... would have been a nice alternative to "Other."

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 08:50
Miembro 2003
español al inglés
+ ...
Classes in school, looking up words May 30, 2012

I think I have learned the most words in my mother tongue through life-long classes. In my second language, Portuguese, I learned the most words talking with my husband. Remember "Never On Sunday" with Melina Mercouri? She was asked where she learned so many languages, and she said "In bed!"

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Which is the best way to improve your vocabulary?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »