Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: How many new clients have you worked for so far in the first quarter of 2010?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Erik Matson
Erik Matson  Identity Verified
Tailandia
Local time: 05:26
inglés al noruego
+ ...
7 new clients. Mar 9, 2010

Henry D wrote:

Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:

I am wondering about the reasoning of the poll. What is the meaning behind the poll and what answer is "good" or "bad"?

I took the question at face value.

So did I. In fact, this is the best poll I have ever seen on Proz.com. By that I mean that I have never been more interested to submit my answer and see the results of the poll. I am not sure if it is just my language pair, but there is a huge demand for my services, all thanks to www.proz.com.

So far I have worked for 7 new clients this year. Of these 7, there are 3 I have already had several repeat assignments for who will certainly be long-term collaborations. Aside from the 7 I have worked with, There are at least 7 or 8 more whom I have turned down. At this point I can't take on any more clients without outsourcing some of my work, something I prefer to not do.

Signing up for ProZ is the BEST investment I have ever made, and one of the best things to ever happen to me. It changed my life and gave me the work freedom and career I always hoped for.

Thanks Henry D for an outstanding website!

[Edited at 2010-03-09 01:57 GMT]

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 15:26
Miembro 2003
español al inglés
+ ...
Two Mar 9, 2010

It's a good question. It's a reflection of the market.

Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT
Tomás Cano Binder, BA, CT  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 00:26
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
Not an agenda, but a reasoning Mar 9, 2010

Henry D wrote:
Tomás Cano Binder, CT wrote:
I am wondering about the reasoning of the poll. What is the meaning behind the poll and what answer is "good" or "bad"?

I took the question at face value.

I was not talking about an agenda, but a reasoning. For instance, if you ask in a poll "Has your translation volume increased or decreased in the last quarter?", the reasoning is that if the market is growing for a majority, THEN the my situation is normal/not normal. The normal/not normal idea has a high prevalence rate in quick poll questions. I would like to know whether there is such a reasoning in this question.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 18:26
Miembro 2009
francés al inglés
+ ...
At least 5 Mar 9, 2010

I was surprised when I counted the new clients. February especially was very quiet for me and from what I heard, for other translators as well. I was sick with flu and then had eye surgery so I had to turn away jobs, but even then, I wasn't getting much in the way of requests.

Then late in february I started hearing from people I had contacted; I got two very good new clients from a referral, a new agency I'd contacted on PROZ and two smaller jobs. One was from an ad I posted; the o
... See more
I was surprised when I counted the new clients. February especially was very quiet for me and from what I heard, for other translators as well. I was sick with flu and then had eye surgery so I had to turn away jobs, but even then, I wasn't getting much in the way of requests.

Then late in february I started hearing from people I had contacted; I got two very good new clients from a referral, a new agency I'd contacted on PROZ and two smaller jobs. One was from an ad I posted; the other a referral from another translator. In that case I might get more work from them.

Good question...I hadn't even added it up until now!
Collapse

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 23:26
alemán al inglés
+ ...
I answered 4 yesterday ... Mar 9, 2010

... but by today my answer would have to be five!

For each of those that I've worked with, I've probably been approached by two or three others where we couldn't agree on price, I simply didn't have the time or the agency had a poor or no payment record.

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many new clients have you worked for so far in the first quarter of 2010?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »