ATA exam and Dip Trans (IoL) : differences
Autor de la hebra: idecev326565
idecev326565
idecev326565  Identity Verified
alemán al español
+ ...
Jan 8, 2002

I am about to take the ATA exam. Has anyone taken both? What differences did you find?

Marijke Mayer
Marijke Mayer  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Local time: 08:13
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
It is very tough! a 20% passing rate the first time Jan 9, 2002

Hello, I heard it was very tough as it only as a 20% passing rate for people taking it the first time. But, of course, if you\'re good, you\'ll pass! I wish you good luck!

Best regards,

Marijke

Oleg Osipov
Oleg Osipov  Identity Verified
Federación Rusa
Local time: 09:13
inglés al ruso
+ ...
Who that exam is meant for? Jan 20, 2002

Dear all,

It is my understanding that to become a member of any professional association one should be a professional in the field.

Being a translator/interpreter with the diploma of Interpreting Department - what is the reason to take more exams? Don\'t they trust professionals at the ATA or do they offer a special course in linguistics?

Just wondering.

Thank you,

Oleg Osipov

MA in translation/interpretation

En&g
... See more
Dear all,

It is my understanding that to become a member of any professional association one should be a professional in the field.

Being a translator/interpreter with the diploma of Interpreting Department - what is the reason to take more exams? Don\'t they trust professionals at the ATA or do they offer a special course in linguistics?

Just wondering.

Thank you,

Oleg Osipov

MA in translation/interpretation

En>Ru, Port>Ru, Sp>Ru

Russia

Collapse

williamson (X)
williamson (X)
Local time: 08:13
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
Like GMAC, ATA is a business Jan 30, 2002

Gmac is a private instition (with semi-official characteristics, but it is a private owned business) which provides rather expensive tests such a GMAT and Toefl. They have a splendid HQ in Princeton, NY.

ATA is no charity institution either: To be able to participate in their accreditation test, you have to be a member (at $150/year I believe). Like Gmat and Toefl, the test is not free. If you have a few thousand participants in those tests times a few hundred $ = a lot of money.
... See more
Gmac is a private instition (with semi-official characteristics, but it is a private owned business) which provides rather expensive tests such a GMAT and Toefl. They have a splendid HQ in Princeton, NY.

ATA is no charity institution either: To be able to participate in their accreditation test, you have to be a member (at $150/year I believe). Like Gmat and Toefl, the test is not free. If you have a few thousand participants in those tests times a few hundred $ = a lot of money.

Collapse

Vladimir Dubisskiy
Vladimir Dubisskiy
Estados Unidos
Local time: 01:13
Miembro 2001
inglés al ruso
+ ...
there is 'on dossier' (or smth like that) acceptance option Mar 3, 2002

Yes, it exists in many assocc, (in order to collect $130-150 from professionally educated persons as well) -

I would advise to look closer asking --self \"What is the use of me being the member of such-and-such assoc?\" If it\'s only to be entered into a certain directory, receive a newsletter, be able to put \"a member of ..\" into your resume...

I would not advise to play the game if you have a professional degree. Better make it verified with a well-known credential assoc
... See more
Yes, it exists in many assocc, (in order to collect $130-150 from professionally educated persons as well) -

I would advise to look closer asking --self \"What is the use of me being the member of such-and-such assoc?\" If it\'s only to be entered into a certain directory, receive a newsletter, be able to put \"a member of ..\" into your resume...

I would not advise to play the game if you have a professional degree. Better make it verified with a well-known credential association agency (from the States, for instance, if you work mostly with English, and add a reference to you cv). You will pay $120 but only once.

However the above is my humble personal opinion based on personal experience.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

ATA exam and Dip Trans (IoL) : differences

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »