Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2] >
Poll: How many holiday/vacation weeks do you usually take in a year?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
PERSONAL DEL SITIO
Aug 21, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How many holiday/vacation weeks do you usually take in a year?".

This poll was originally submitted by Mary Worby. View the poll results »

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 10:18
Miembro 2007
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Other (Honestly, I don't know!) Aug 21, 2016

I take quite often a few days off here and there between jobs, but I haven’t had a week-long break for some time... It all adds up probably to more than 4/5 weeks a year, but I’m not counting!

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 11:18
alemán al francés
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2016

It varies very much each year. Until now, I always took from 1 to 4 weeks a year. Not necessarily in a row.

Alexander Kondorsky
Alexander Kondorsky  Identity Verified
Federación Rusa
Local time: 12:18
inglés al ruso
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2016

IMHO, this question is absolutely irrelevant to a freelancer. Vacation is time when you have no work.

EvaVer (X)
EvaVer (X)  Identity Verified
checo al francés
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2016

I leave home for a total of about 4 weeks, but I take my comp with me. Is this really a holiday?

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
Francia
alemán al francés
+ ...
Disagree Aug 21, 2016

Alexander Kondorsky wrote:

IMHO, this question is absolutely irrelevant to a freelancer. Vacation is time when you have no work.
I disagree. If I should wait until there is no work to go on holiday, I'd never do. First because there's always work. Second because you can't plan. If I want to go away somewhere on holiday, I have to organize transport, accommodation and so on, and this can't be done just as soon as you have no work (all the more since you can't how long "no work" is going to last). There are places you can't go to for just 2 days. When we went to Russia on holiday, I had to organize a visa, which had to be done a long time in advance, I had to get an invitation for that, and to prove precisely where I'm going to be accommodated on which date. Same for Belarus, which we visited at the same time as all Baltic states. This trip took us 3 weeks, two different car rentals, a bus trip, a boat trip, many different accomodations, and so on. Definitely not something you can organize just as soon as "no work" occurs. Now I do not travel that far anymore, but I still need to coordinate my holiday with my husband's and my son's activities. Put in other words: I go on holiday when the nursery is closed for holidays itself, because I need them to look after my child all the rest of the time so I can work.

cloudhunter (X)
cloudhunter (X)  Identity Verified
Alemania
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2016

We have two kinds of vacation - the one is when we go somewhere and have a time off. I don't take my laptop, nor do I answer unswer unknown calls.

But we also have a house at the sea and it means we can go there anytime our oldest daughter has vacation, which is often and a lot. So it's like a bit of working where people pay a lot of money to be able to spend holiday

If I count both kinds it does add up
... See more
We have two kinds of vacation - the one is when we go somewhere and have a time off. I don't take my laptop, nor do I answer unswer unknown calls.

But we also have a house at the sea and it means we can go there anytime our oldest daughter has vacation, which is often and a lot. So it's like a bit of working where people pay a lot of money to be able to spend holiday

If I count both kinds it does add up to 12 weeks a year, but this won't last for much longer, though since I will be studying again.
Collapse

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
francés al inglés
I answered one to two weeks Aug 21, 2016

We usually go away somewhere for a week. This year turned out to be a rainy week in Cornwall, visiting family. Was so boring, we came back a day early. Sometimes, working is more interesting!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 06:18
Miembro 2014
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2016

There is no rule for it. And it's the fifth time I answer this qestion here.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 06:18
Miembro 2013
español al portugués
+ ...
5-8 Aug 21, 2016

I usually work 7 days a week, so I need vacation twice a year to travel to some place in the planet, at least for 20 days each. And I always get nervous about losing jobs after coming back, while this never happened actually so far. So I'll keep going.

[Editada em 2016-08-21 16:14 GMT]

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:18
inglés al español
+ ...
Brilliant Aug 21, 2016

Alexander Kondorsky wrote:

I found Alexander's comment funny and sarcastic, with a dab of reality.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
inglés al español
+ ...
Vacation weeks? Aug 21, 2016

What's that? We Americans don't take vacation weeks, but vacation hours or days. If you don't believe me, try reading one of the employee handbooks that most American companies write (and publish on their websites).

Even when you're sick (flu, surgery, etc.), you don't necessarily take an enjoyable vacation or holiday, especially when you're an independent contractor.

Jeff Whittaker
Jeff Whittaker  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
español al inglés
+ ...
I had a four-month vacation this year Aug 21, 2016

But only because I had absolutely no work for four months...

neilmac
neilmac
España
español al inglés
+ ...
Other Aug 21, 2016

What is this "holiday/vacation" of which you speak?

I usually go back to Scotland for 2 weeks at the end of the year to see family and friends, but I take a laptop with me and work if need be, or if I feel like it. I don't often feel the need for total downtime. I might take a couple of days off this week; I was thinking of visiting some friends who have rented a place in the hills with no wifi or similar distractions, but another friend wants me to do something else instead... so I
... See more
What is this "holiday/vacation" of which you speak?

I usually go back to Scotland for 2 weeks at the end of the year to see family and friends, but I take a laptop with me and work if need be, or if I feel like it. I don't often feel the need for total downtime. I might take a couple of days off this week; I was thinking of visiting some friends who have rented a place in the hills with no wifi or similar distractions, but another friend wants me to do something else instead... so I might just end up not going with either of them, and just disappear on my own for a while, go snorkelling... whatever. It's not a big deal.
Collapse

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
francés al inglés
+ ...
3-5 weeks Aug 21, 2016

I went to Hong Kong for 10 days in May, and I'm going to Belgium for a week next week. I have no other holidays planned - but I'll take a day here and there to visit my family if work is quiet. I don't like taking my laptop on holiday with me, because a) I feel I'm not as productive when I'm in an unfamiliar place, b) I'm always scared something horrible will happen to it and c) Holidays are for relaxing away from work, of course!

Páginas sobre el tema:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How many holiday/vacation weeks do you usually take in a year?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »