Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: What kind of movies do you most usually watch?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 09:01
Miembro 2006
inglés al hindi
+ ...
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
Original language Jan 10, 2016

I watch movies in several languages, all of which I understand well enough to not need any subtitles. These include Hindi, English, Tamil and Malayalam. Movies in other languages, particularly Telugu, are getting dubbed into Hindi, but I rarely enjoy them, the dubbing somehow does not sound genuine, and I abandon watching the movie after the first few minutes. One notable exception was the recent block-buster Bahubali. But this does not strictly fall into the category of a dubbed movie. The dire... See more
I watch movies in several languages, all of which I understand well enough to not need any subtitles. These include Hindi, English, Tamil and Malayalam. Movies in other languages, particularly Telugu, are getting dubbed into Hindi, but I rarely enjoy them, the dubbing somehow does not sound genuine, and I abandon watching the movie after the first few minutes. One notable exception was the recent block-buster Bahubali. But this does not strictly fall into the category of a dubbed movie. The director was very clear that he was making a movie that will have several language versions (Telugu, Hindi, Tamil and Malayalam), and he had the opportunity at the time of shooting itself to avoid specific linguistic situations that cannot be replicated in other languages. With the result, even though the movie is originally a Telugu movie, its other language versions are equally enjoyable, to the extend that you don't realize that you are watching a dubbed movie.

On HBO and other English movie channels, a lot of Chinese movies dubbed into English are shown. The English is quaint and an attempt is made to mimic the way the Chinese speak English, but these don't sound genuine either, but some of these movies are watchable. Then there are the Chinese Hollywood movies where the Chinese characters speak a Chinese-version of English (as in Enter the Dragon or Jackie Chan movies), these sound genuine, as scripts are actually in creatively written American English. These movies are mostly action-oriented and dialogue is secondary, which could be one reason why they are enjoyable even with their quaint English.

This technique was very effectively used in the recent Bollywood blockbuster Bajirao Mastani, in which the protagonist Bajirao (presented by Ranvir Singh) speaks Hindi with a heavy Marathi accent. The Hindi dialogue is very carefully scripted and rendered excellently by the actor in this accent, which is one of the hallmark of this periodic movie.

Indian movies in general, in all Indian languages, are quite wordy, and sound authentic only in the original language. Their wordiness makes subtitles tiresome as there are lot of them and you end up reading only the subtitles, and miss much of the screen action, leaving you with a diminished enjoyment of the movies.

[Edited at 2016-01-10 04:23 GMT]
Collapse

Charlotte Cadorel
Charlotte Cadorel  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 05:31
inglés al francés
+ ...
Subtitled movies, if possible Jan 15, 2016

I love watching subtitled movies, and if possible subtitled in the original language if I know it, for example I won't watch a Japonese movie subtitled in Japonese, but I love watching English movies subtitled in English, but I can watch a Japonese movie with English subtitles. Unfortunately in France, some of the theatres don't release the movies with subtitles, they are usually dubbed in French.
On the other hands, I love watching movies and TV shows in English version, without subtitle
... See more
I love watching subtitled movies, and if possible subtitled in the original language if I know it, for example I won't watch a Japonese movie subtitled in Japonese, but I love watching English movies subtitled in English, but I can watch a Japonese movie with English subtitles. Unfortunately in France, some of the theatres don't release the movies with subtitles, they are usually dubbed in French.
On the other hands, I love watching movies and TV shows in English version, without subtitles, but I do it when I'm alone only (not a lot of people can follow).
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What kind of movies do you most usually watch?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »