Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you generally check your business emails on weekends?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:34
German to English
+ ...
When is it 4 p.m. Friday? Dec 7, 2015

In consideration of the poster who works from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mon. to Fri. With one of my regular overseas clients, my Sunday evening is their Monday morning.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:34
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
If I'm home, yes, of course Dec 8, 2015

But only about 20 times.

Zhihua Liu
Zhihua Liu
China
Local time: 17:34
English to Chinese
+ ...
Yes Dec 8, 2015

Though I seldom get any business-related emails during weekends, I do check it a few times everyday on my mobile, android email client.
After all, it only takes a few seconds and just in case.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Local time: 10:34
Danish to English
+ ...
Regional clients only Dec 8, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:
When is it 4 p.m. Friday?
In consideration of the poster who works from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Mon. to Fri. With one of my regular overseas clients, my Sunday evening is their Monday morning.

I only very rarely work with clients outside my time zone, so the hours I refer to are CET. Simple, really...

Katrin Bosse (X)
Katrin Bosse (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 10:34
Dutch to German
+ ...
Office hours simply don't apply Dec 8, 2015

Of course I check my business emails on weekends - I WORK on weekends!

Rebecca Garber wrote:

I work when I like. I often take half days or whole days off during the week or on weekends to do something I want to do.
I work to accommodate a night-owl's schedule.
I take long lunches and long breaks for yoga clases and strength training.
I am always available early enough in my morning to email with Europe and Africa, which is where most of my work comes from.
My clients don't care when the work gets done, so long as it is done well and on time.

If I wanted to work office hours, I would have found an office job.

I whole-heartedly agree! I am a freelancer and a single mother. When I work, is determined by so many outside factors that criteria like "weekends" or "after office hours" are as random for me as the P/T meeting or my daughter's birthday party or her swimming course or a christmas school party or my yoga class etc.

I usually work very early in the morning/night on almost every day of the week, that's when I process my highest volumes and do my best work (no telephone calls from friends/mother/neighbours, no mail/package delivery, no emails to answer, (almost) no traffic/sirens outside, no child to attend to or shopping/cooking/washing/cleaning to do - a translator's heaven!).

That I (sometimes) demand a rush fee for working during weekends is mainly to help establish a standard in the industry: We SHOULD not need to work in weekends, but I choose to do so for personal reasons.

[Bearbeitet am 2015-12-08 05:54 GMT]

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 18:34
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Dec 8, 2015

But out of force of habit because I work weekends and I'm in front of a computer, anyway. Weekends is quality time for me since there are fewer distractions and I can get more stuff done. Besides, it's nice to take days off when everyone else is working - places I want to visit are less crowded and you can book tables at restaurants more easily.

Oh, BTW, the food here in Kyoto is absolutely delicious. ...
See more
But out of force of habit because I work weekends and I'm in front of a computer, anyway. Weekends is quality time for me since there are fewer distractions and I can get more stuff done. Besides, it's nice to take days off when everyone else is working - places I want to visit are less crowded and you can book tables at restaurants more easily.

Oh, BTW, the food here in Kyoto is absolutely delicious.

http://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3963.html

Enjoy!
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:34
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Of course Dec 8, 2015

Maxi Schwarz wrote:

And I didn't even think of the timezones. One more reason to check e-mails every day, at any time.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 12:34
Russian to English
IT business? Dec 8, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

In my previous profession 80-90 hour weeks were the norm. If you worked 70 hours people would wonder what you were doing in the organization...

Sounds like you were in the IT business, no?

I live in USA, and most newspapers keep telling us Americans are the ones working the longest hours around the planet. I guess they are wrong.

Investment banking actually. The good ol' days. Actually the US bankers did work longer hours than us..

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you generally check your business emails on weekends?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »