Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you generally check your business emails on weekends?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 7, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you generally check your business emails on weekends?".

This poll was originally submitted by tilak raj. View the poll results »

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:29
German to English
+ ...
Other Dec 7, 2015

All my emails arrive in Outlook, so I'll look at whatever comes in. Having said that, I don't receive offers of work at the weekend or those that I do what to pay a pittance for a fast turnaround.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 7, 2015

I tend to check my main e-mail account, which is the one I use for business, every day. I see no reason why I shouldn't. Weekends tend to be the only time that some of my academic clients find time to get their stuff together and contact me. I also work with an internationally published bi-monthly magazine and they tend to send e-mails at outlandish times too. It's no biggie.
In fact, I get rather irritated by people's assumption that weekends should somehow be held sacred. In my view, thi
... See more
I tend to check my main e-mail account, which is the one I use for business, every day. I see no reason why I shouldn't. Weekends tend to be the only time that some of my academic clients find time to get their stuff together and contact me. I also work with an internationally published bi-monthly magazine and they tend to send e-mails at outlandish times too. It's no biggie.
In fact, I get rather irritated by people's assumption that weekends should somehow be held sacred. In my view, this is something for 9-to-5, Monday to Friday workers and a bit 20th-century. As a freelancer, I value the possibility of being able to choose when to work or check my mails (etc) or not.

[Edited at 2015-12-07 08:59 GMT]

For example, tomorrow, Tuesday, is a holiday in Spain, so many people take the Monday off too (this is known as a "puente" (bridge) in Spain). However, this morning there was an e-mail from my bi-monthly magazine client, apparently sent at 4.50 am on Sunday, as they are trying to get material ready for the January edition ahead of time. As it happens, I was doing other things yesterday and, as the deadline isn't until next week, I didn't feel any untoward pressure.

[Edited at 2015-12-07 09:05 GMT]
Collapse

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Dec 7, 2015

As a professional working with professionals I don't get sent any at the weekend anyway.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 09:29
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes Dec 7, 2015

I do check my email during the weekend. Most of my clients don't send emails on weekends anyway but a few exceptions over the years.

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 11:29
German to English
+ ...
When is the weekend? Dec 7, 2015

Even in countries where the weekend falls on Saturday and Sunday, the difference in time zones makes it hard to tell.

When it's Friday EOB in Auckland NZ, people in Oakland, CA still have a whole work day ahead of them and when the Kiwis go back to work on Monday morning, the Californians are just having Sunday brunch.

Where I live in Bethlehem, the weekend can be Friday and Saturday, Friday and Sunday, Thursday and Friday, just Friday, or just Sunday.

I re
... See more
Even in countries where the weekend falls on Saturday and Sunday, the difference in time zones makes it hard to tell.

When it's Friday EOB in Auckland NZ, people in Oakland, CA still have a whole work day ahead of them and when the Kiwis go back to work on Monday morning, the Californians are just having Sunday brunch.

Where I live in Bethlehem, the weekend can be Friday and Saturday, Friday and Sunday, Thursday and Friday, just Friday, or just Sunday.

I really don't care one way or the other because I can usually decide when I want to work.
Collapse

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Same Dec 7, 2015

Ian Jones wrote:

All my emails arrive in Outlook, so I'll look at whatever comes in. Having said that, I don't receive offers of work at the weekend or those that I do what to pay a pittance for a fast turnaround.

Similar here. They arrive in Thunderbird, I take a look, but I don't do much about them until Monday.

Georgia Morg (X)
Georgia Morg (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
Agree with neilmac Dec 7, 2015

I don't have a firm demarcation line between workday and weekend and I think fewer and fewer people do. I agree, very "last century" to hold weekends sacred! I do a lot of work for academics and the weekend is often the time they send me something to have a look at and decide if I would be interested. I prefer working on Saturdays and Sundays if there's nothing special on; it frees up the week.

Ilan Rubin (X)
Ilan Rubin (X)  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 11:29
Russian to English
Why not? Dec 7, 2015

In my previous profession 80-90 hour weeks were the norm. If you worked 70 hours people would wonder what you were doing in the organization...

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
Seconded Dec 7, 2015

neilmac wrote:
As a freelancer, I value the possibility of being able to choose when to work or check my mails (etc) or not.

I almost always check my emails several times a day, seven days a week. I also sometimes work at the weekend - if I choose to. But I do that less and less as I have so many other things to do then. Anyway, my musician husband works very late quite often and I'm his roadie/sound engineer, so down-time encroaches into the days somewhat. I wouldn't like to be forced to be at my desk at 9 a.m. when I didn't get to bed until about 2 a.m.
For example, tomorrow, Tuesday, is a holiday in Spain, so many people take the Monday off too (this is known as a "puente" (bridge) in Spain).

What with every town, municipality, island (in my case), province and autonomous region of Spain having their own public holidays, as well as the Spain-wide ones, and puentes occurring all over the place too, I don't think we'd get any work done at all if we refused to work on both our own and our clients' holidays. Sometimes there seems to be just the odd working day between long weekends.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Yes Dec 7, 2015

My computer is usually on from early morning till I go to bed, and as it sits on my desk at one end of my living room, I tend to spot emails coming in pretty fast. I don't leave the computer on specifically for business purposes, more for private use, but if a business email comes in, I will read it. If it needs a quick reply, I will reply. If it doesn't, I will leave it till Monday.

As others, I work when I want to. It just so happens that I prefer to work 10-4 Mon-Fri. ...
See more
My computer is usually on from early morning till I go to bed, and as it sits on my desk at one end of my living room, I tend to spot emails coming in pretty fast. I don't leave the computer on specifically for business purposes, more for private use, but if a business email comes in, I will read it. If it needs a quick reply, I will reply. If it doesn't, I will leave it till Monday.

As others, I work when I want to. It just so happens that I prefer to work 10-4 Mon-Fri.

[Edited at 2015-12-08 05:38 GMT]
Collapse

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
No Dec 7, 2015

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:

As others, I work when I want to. It just so happens that I prefer to work 10-4 Mon-Fri.

Same here - although for me, the consequence is that I do not read my emails in the weekend, or after I have left my desk. Not so much because 'weekends are sacred' but because I enjoy doing things with my friends and most of them are only available in the weekend and after working hours.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:29
Member (2005)
German to English
+ ...
Weekends are defined so differently around the world Dec 7, 2015

I work when I like. I often take half days or whole days off during the week or on weekends to do something I want to do.
I work to accommodate a night-owl's schedule.
I take long lunches and long breaks for yoga clases and strength training.
I am always available early enough in my morning to email with Europe and Africa, which is where most of my work comes from.
My clients don't care when the work gets done, so long as it is done well and on time.

If I wa
... See more
I work when I like. I often take half days or whole days off during the week or on weekends to do something I want to do.
I work to accommodate a night-owl's schedule.
I take long lunches and long breaks for yoga clases and strength training.
I am always available early enough in my morning to email with Europe and Africa, which is where most of my work comes from.
My clients don't care when the work gets done, so long as it is done well and on time.

If I wanted to work office hours, I would have found an office job.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Another Outlook user! Dec 7, 2015

Ian Jones wrote:

Greetings, Ian, from Ohio. I've been running Outlook for email and calendaring since 2003.

Same here, I don't get job offers on Saturdays or Sundays (I know, Fridays are part of the weekend).

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Overworked Dec 7, 2015

ILAN RUBIN wrote:

In my previous profession 80-90 hour weeks were the norm. If you worked 70 hours people would wonder what you were doing in the organization...

Sounds like you were in the IT business, no?

I live in USA, and most newspapers keep telling us Americans are the ones working the longest hours around the planet. I guess they are wrong.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you generally check your business emails on weekends?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »