Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Where do you usually sit while you are working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Sep 22, 2015

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Where do you usually sit while you are working?".

View the poll results »

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
ffs Sep 22, 2015

Right now I'm sitting on the toilet

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 12:53
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
The perfect chair Sep 22, 2015

It's not ergonomic, but it's perfect. I have tried and rejected seven chairs and finally found the one that's right for me. It's a simple office chair, one solid piece with a straight back and a bulge to support the lumbar region and two metal arms, just the right height. Love it!

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:53
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Wish I could find the perfect chair ... Sep 22, 2015

I go through an office chair every 2 years or so.
I've never found one that's perfect, there's always some compromise I have to make, whether features, aesthetics, material, etc.

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:53
Hebrew to English
Sofa Sep 22, 2015

I have a fully kitted out workstation upstairs, but I never sit there.
I prefer to sit on the sofa where I can spread out, be comfortable, and have plenty of space for essentials like snacks, cats, blankets (in the winter), and be within reach of my books (which are in the living room).

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 21:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
I wouldn't classify my office chair as regular or ergonomic... Sep 22, 2015

but that is where I spend all of my working time, and that's a long day. Sometimes, I use a 'regular' dining chair and work on my laptop downstairs in the dining room. Then, at least I am closer to my wife.

[Edited at 2015-09-22 09:17 GMT]

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Sitting correctly is very important Sep 22, 2015

I have a good ergonomic chair, and it is really worth the investment in terms of concentration on work.

It still means you have to get up and loosen up at suitable intervals, but then it means you can keep your back healthy, and you are in control more than your deteriorating back and sore muscles. The same goes for good lighting and adjusting your screen properly.

The same results can possibly be achieved by piling up firm cushions and so on, but one way or another, it
... See more
I have a good ergonomic chair, and it is really worth the investment in terms of concentration on work.

It still means you have to get up and loosen up at suitable intervals, but then it means you can keep your back healthy, and you are in control more than your deteriorating back and sore muscles. The same goes for good lighting and adjusting your screen properly.

The same results can possibly be achieved by piling up firm cushions and so on, but one way or another, it is something to take seriously! I was lucky - when my in-house employer had to let me go, he sold me the chair and a good desk cheaply as part of the agreement.

I fell in the snow some winters ago, and for a week the only place I could sit was in my office chair! We rolled it into the living room in the evenings, and I lay down whenever I could. I had a rushed job, which I was able to deliver on time, but I stood up for meals, or carried a plate of sandwiches to my office den...

I did see a therapist too, and normally I don't have problems with my back. I take very little exercise compared with some, but I do take care of my back and go walking. It means I have no serious health problems at all, and that really is worth a lot.
Collapse

Gudrun Wolfrath
Gudrun Wolfrath  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
I am sitting on Sep 22, 2015

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/n-nr1m3w/gfm2h9h/products/82/images/282/Base-Model-Swopper-6__95577.1399063582.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
An adapted regular office chair... Sep 22, 2015

I have been suffering from two disc hernias for a few years, so sitting correctly and having the right height is a must! I use a regular office chair with a very straight back adapted with an Orthia cushion for lumbar support.

Gudrun Maydorn (X)
Gudrun Maydorn (X)  Identity Verified
Germany
English to German
+ ...
Exercise ball Sep 22, 2015

I work while sitting on an exercise ball and have happily done so for years.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:53
German to English
+ ...
I switch Sep 22, 2015

I have a regular chair, a kneeling chair, and an exercise ball. Changing sitting modes seems to be helpful when doing long projects.

Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei
Kuochoe Nikoi-Kotei  Identity Verified
Ghana
Local time: 19:53
Japanese to English
Regular chair Sep 22, 2015

On a regular dining chair, which is wreaking havoc on my back these days. I'm looking to buy a back-friendly office chair in the next couple of weeks.

[Edited at 2015-09-22 10:26 GMT]

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 16:53
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
What is a 'regular' chair? Sep 22, 2015

Is it like this:

... or more like this:

???

I use the second type.

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finland
Local time: 22:53
Member (2008)
English to Finnish
+ ...
Excercise ball Sep 22, 2015

I've been using an excercise ball for years and am quite happy with it. My problem is the desk, or rather the lack of one. My husband's work means we move often and so can't have much furniture at the moment, so I have to make do with whatever tables or desks the landlord provides.
I'm dreaming of Ikea's sit/stand desk - for once it would be nice to have a desk at the exactly right height, and standing part of the work day wouldn't do any harm either...

Samantha Payn
Samantha Payn  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Member (2008)
Russian to English
+ ...
Ergonomic stool Sep 22, 2015

I used a kneeling stool for several years - made my way through two second-hand ones and was always subconsciously worried about it collapsing under me. Eventually I decided to buy a new one, but the first link that came up was for a Wave Stool which I bought and I've found thoroughly comfortable.
http://www.posture-chair.co.uk/our-seats/wave-stool/benefits/

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you usually sit while you are working?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »