Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Where do you usually sit while you are working?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 01:53
French to English
So... Sep 22, 2015

Chris S wrote:
Right now I'm sitting on the toilet

and if you were working (as per the question) at the time, does that mean you passed an
Samantha Payne wrote:
Ergonomic stool
?

Just wonderin'...
Especially since I'm as mystified by what the hell a "regular chair" might be as many others.

Nikki Graham
Nikki Graham  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
I don't sit very often when working Sep 22, 2015

Right now I'm standing on a Steppie

http://steppie.dk/welcome-2

at a standing desk. I also have a treadmill and often walk while I dictate my translations using Dragon Naturally Speaking.

If you're interested in learning mo
... See more

at a standing desk. I also have a treadmill and often walk while I dictate my translations using Dragon Naturally Speaking.

If you're interested in learning more, here's a link to some posts on my blog: http://nikkigrahamtranix.com/work-life-balance/

And if you'd like to write a guest post for my blog on your alternative work set-up, I'd be happy to hear from you!
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:53
English to Spanish
+ ...
Proz mobile app? Sep 22, 2015

Chris S wrote:

Right now I'm sitting on the toilet

Hahahahah! You win…a roll of toilet paper.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
You're on! Sep 22, 2015

Nikki Graham wrote:

If you're interested in learning more, here's a link to some posts on my blog: http://nikkigrahamtranix.com/work-life-balance/

And if you'd like to write a guest post for my blog on your alternative work set-up, I'd be happy to hear from you!

Interesting setup, Nikki. I am more conventional, but I'll visit your blog nonetheless.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Uncanny parallels Sep 22, 2015

DianeGM wrote:

I go through an office chair every 2 years or so.
I've never found one that's perfect, there's always some compromise I have to make, whether features, aesthetics, material, etc.

I used to do that. How uncanny that chairs, like partners, may change every 2 years or so for some (tongue firmly planted in cheek)

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Cats are essential? Sep 22, 2015

Ty Kendall wrote:

I have a fully kitted out workstation upstairs, but I never sit there.
I prefer to sit on the sofa where I can spread out, be comfortable, and have plenty of space for essentials like snacks, cats, blankets (in the winter), and be within reach of my books (which are in the living room).

Ty, I dare you share a picture of yourself on the sofa in winter, surrounded by cats, blankets, the obligatory cup of teddy (or coffee) and your laptop and books.

Mario Chavez (X)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Musical chairs Sep 22, 2015

I always sit while writing my translations, revising someone else's translation, typesetting in other languages, answering Proz polls and checking on my eBay sales and bids.

I paid a former roommate $90 (US dollars) for a gently used tall ergonomic chair that he claimed cost $150. He wanted to charge me $100.

I added a firm lumbar support. The chair also has screwed-on arms. I keep a straight posture most of the time, but I don't slouch.

But “working” i
... See more
I always sit while writing my translations, revising someone else's translation, typesetting in other languages, answering Proz polls and checking on my eBay sales and bids.

I paid a former roommate $90 (US dollars) for a gently used tall ergonomic chair that he claimed cost $150. He wanted to charge me $100.

I added a firm lumbar support. The chair also has screwed-on arms. I keep a straight posture most of the time, but I don't slouch.

But “working” implies many other stages for me: thinking about a translation, leafing through the newspaper in the kitchen, doing my think-aloud sessions when a word or phrase idea strikes me, etc. I could be driving, walking or cooking something at the time.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:53
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
On my harris Sep 22, 2015

That's on top on where I have sat since day 1 and it has nothing to do with work

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
@charlie Sep 22, 2015

Hahaha very good!

I wasn't really. I just thought it a daft question, but it seems some people do indeed lounge around on beanbags and so on while working, presumably with a g&t in one hand. It's also interesting to hear about all these ergonomic chairs, they've never worked for me. My preferred approach to back pain management is to slouch on a cheap office chair salvaged from the dump all day and then straighten things out in the evening with a bit of yoga or sumo wrestling or jus
... See more
Hahaha very good!

I wasn't really. I just thought it a daft question, but it seems some people do indeed lounge around on beanbags and so on while working, presumably with a g&t in one hand. It's also interesting to hear about all these ergonomic chairs, they've never worked for me. My preferred approach to back pain management is to slouch on a cheap office chair salvaged from the dump all day and then straighten things out in the evening with a bit of yoga or sumo wrestling or just beating the children.

[Edited at 2015-09-22 19:47 GMT]
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:53
Spanish to English
+ ...
Normal office chair Sep 22, 2015

I just changed chairs after my last one broke. I picked this one up for $7 at my local thrift store. It does the job, and it's just uncomfortable enough to encourage me to get up and walk around every couple of hours.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Question for laptop/mobile users only? Sep 23, 2015

It sounds like the asker considered the use of laptops or mobile devices, which allow you to sit anywhere.

However, considering the most appropriate device for a translator is a desktop, for several reasons already discussed exhaustively in this forum, the chair will obviously have 80% of the votes.

Now, if you are doing translations on a notebook/laptop or a mobile, the place where you sit is the least of your ergonomic problems.

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Laptops give you the flexibility to work anywhere Sep 23, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

Now, if you are doing translations on a notebook/laptop or a mobile, the place where you sit is the least of your ergonomic problems.

I think that depends on whether you use your laptop with a keyboard and mouse and an extra screen (or two).

And sit/stand desks work quite happily with desktops.

I use a laptop and thought it would just be a temporary solution while I decided which desktop to buy, but, for various reasons, the pick-up-and-go nature of a laptop suits me perfectly so I can continue to work wherever I happen to be (and go and sit somewhere comfortable outside in the garden/summer house). A change of scene and some fresh air can work wonders for my brain cells.

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:53
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
That's no longer a laptop, Nikki Sep 24, 2015

Nikki Graham wrote:

Mario Freitas wrote:

I think that depends on whether you use your laptop with a keyboard and mouse and an extra screen (or two).

If you attach a keyboard, a mouse and an extra screen, you no longer have a laptop. It became a desktop. You are using the laptop as a CPU only. And of course you're goona sit on a chair in front of a desk.

I was talkin about those who thake their laptops to the sopha or to a bus/train/airplane and work on its own keyboard & screen, which are absoultely inappropriate for regular working.

Nikki Graham
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
Laptops are not absolutely inappropriate Sep 25, 2015

Mario Freitas wrote:

I was talkin about those who thake their laptops to the sopha or to a bus/train/airplane and work on its own keyboard & screen, which are absoultely inappropriate for regular working.

I wouldn't say it was absolutely inappropriate. It might not suit you or others, but there are many ways of working and as long as the client is happy with the end result, how it has been arrived at is the translator's business.

I agree that working with the laptop's keyboard is not comfortable for long periods, but sometimes needs must, and I do this quite often. However, I also use Dragon Naturally Speaking when possible, which involves hardly any use of the keyboard at all.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Where do you usually sit while you are working?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »