Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Are you officially registered as a business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 21, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Are you officially registered as a business?".

View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 13:56
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes Feb 21, 2014

with all the benefits of saving tax

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:56
English to Polish
Unclear Feb 21, 2014

I'm not sure I understand the question. "As a business" meaning do I own a (one-person) company? No. Am I registered as a self-employed (running a business)? Yes; wouldn't it be illegal not to be registered in most (all?) countries?

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Nope Feb 21, 2014

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

I'm not sure I understand the question. "As a business" meaning do I own a (one-person) company? No. Am I registered as a self-employed (running a business)? Yes; wouldn't it be illegal not to be registered in most (all?) countries?

Not ifyou aredoing it as a "second job" part time, then it runs under your "normal" tax number and you are not a company - or at least here in Germany

Anne Bohy
Anne Bohy  Identity Verified
France
English to French
Ambiguous question Feb 21, 2014

This is a perfect example of a question which may sound clear in the context of a specific country, but becomes very ambiguous (and hard to translate) in a global context.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 08:56
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Definitely! Feb 21, 2014

bohy wrote:

This is a perfect example of a question which may sound clear in the context of a specific country, but becomes very ambiguous (and hard to translate) in a global context.

I am officially registered since 1973 as an independent (autonomous) personal services provider in Brazil. Would that be a "business"?

According to Brazilian law, it's not. My tax ID is personal, not corporate. However I am authorized to issue all documents legally required for my clients' accounting purposes, and we'll have to pay all taxes and social charges on them. It's not merely a 'receipt', nor cash passed under the table.

However I understand that each country allows people to work on their own in a different manner.

[Edited at 2014-02-21 09:56 GMT]

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Germany
German to English
Question unclear Feb 21, 2014

I answered "yes", because in Germany you do have to notify your tax office that you are working as a freelancer ("Anmeldung einer selbständigen Tätigkeit"), although it's incredibly easy and, as Michael Harris wrote, it doesn't even involve getting a new or separate tax number for your "business" (which, however, is not a "Gewerbe" - so maybe it's not a business at all).

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Portuguese to English
+ ...
My thoughts exactly Feb 21, 2014

M. Anna Kańduła wrote:

Unclear

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to Polish
Exactly Feb 21, 2014

bohy wrote:

Exactly, because

Michael Harris wrote:

Not ifyou aredoing it as a "second job" part time, then it runs under your "normal" tax number and you are not a company - or at least here in Germany

While in the UK you need to register still and pay due taxes and national insurance from both employment and freelancing.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Also unclear Feb 21, 2014

In Portugal, there is a legal (and taxable) category called "trabalhador independente", or "independent worker" into which fall all self-employed people. I am registered as such at the tax department and at the social security office. Above a very low threshold, one has to charge VAT which, in my mind at least, makes me a business.

One's individual tax identification number is the only number required for this process of working your butt off in order to funnel money with mind-numbi
... See more
In Portugal, there is a legal (and taxable) category called "trabalhador independente", or "independent worker" into which fall all self-employed people. I am registered as such at the tax department and at the social security office. Above a very low threshold, one has to charge VAT which, in my mind at least, makes me a business.

One's individual tax identification number is the only number required for this process of working your butt off in order to funnel money with mind-numbing regularity to the State.

I cannot say that the tax structure in Portugal favours the entrepreneur, whether translator or not.
Collapse

DianeGM
DianeGM  Identity Verified
Local time: 14:56
Member (2006)
Dutch to English
+ ...
Yes .... Feb 21, 2014

I am also confused by the question.
In Greece there is no other legal way to operate.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Yes but no but yes Feb 21, 2014

As a freelance translator in the UK you don't have to register your business.

You do have to register as self-employed for national insurance, but that's all. You also need to tell the taxman what profit you've made and pay tax on it - but you don't have to register, and how you earned the profit (whether through translation or cleaning or juggling) is immaterial. Your business is not a separate legal entity and cannot therefore be registered in any way.

That said, we a
... See more
As a freelance translator in the UK you don't have to register your business.

You do have to register as self-employed for national insurance, but that's all. You also need to tell the taxman what profit you've made and pay tax on it - but you don't have to register, and how you earned the profit (whether through translation or cleaning or juggling) is immaterial. Your business is not a separate legal entity and cannot therefore be registered in any way.

That said, we are registered as a business, as we operate through a limited company, which seemed a good idea at the time and isn't worth changing now.
Collapse

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 21, 2014

There is no such thing as an officially registered business here in Cyprus. You just need to register with the tax office and, as the VAT threshold is very low, you will almost certainly need to register with the VAT office, too. Once you have a tax number and a VAT number, you are up and running!

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Turkish to English
+ ...
Social insurance Feb 21, 2014

Tim Drayton wrote:

There is no such thing as an officially registered business here in Cyprus. You just need to register with the tax office and, as the VAT threshold is very low, you will almost certainly need to register with the VAT office, too. Once you have a tax number and a VAT number, you are up and running!

Oh, and you have to register with the social insurance office, too. I have done all that and have all three numbers.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 21, 2014

I am registered with the tax and social security authorities as a freelance self-employed ("autonomous") translator. Business is what I do sometimes, not what I am.

To misquote Nº Six in The Prisoner: "I am not a business, I am a free man!"

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Are you officially registered as a business?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »