Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you listen to music while translating?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz
Łukasz Gos-Furmankiewicz  Identity Verified
Polonia
Local time: 14:44
inglés al polaco
+ ...
Almost never Jul 28, 2013

Depends on the quality of the job and my ability to focus without complete silence.

M. Anna Kańduła
M. Anna Kańduła  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 13:44
inglés al polaco
Sometimes Jul 28, 2013

But like some of the others, without lyrics, which I find too distracting.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 06:44
español al inglés
+ ...
Always Jul 28, 2013

I have a "tranqui" playlist, full of instrumental and slow music, and my "Workin'" playlist, which has all of my punk rock and ska.

Certain jobs require certain attitudes.

tilak raj
tilak raj  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 18:14
Miembro 2012
inglés al panyabí
+ ...
sometimes Jul 28, 2013

Actually it also depends on the nature of work. If work needs more concentration then no one can listen music and other factor to get rid of boredom. sometimes mixing of music makes work more rhythmatic.

Elías Sauza
Elías Sauza  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 06:44
Miembro 2002
inglés al español
+ ...
Yes, always Jul 28, 2013

Michael Harris wrote:

as background music - Radio

Why this option was not included?

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Miembro 2003
danés al inglés
+ ...
Preferably not Jul 28, 2013

My husband has an infuriating habit of turning on the radio and then wandering out into the garden... Usually classical music, which I like at other times, but I turn it off fairly soon after I am aware he has gone. I put up with it as long as I think he is listening.

From boarding school until I started freelancing I lived with other people's more or less awful music, but I am not musical, and as a rule dislike singing. I do have some favourite composers and classics, but then I li
... See more
My husband has an infuriating habit of turning on the radio and then wandering out into the garden... Usually classical music, which I like at other times, but I turn it off fairly soon after I am aware he has gone. I put up with it as long as I think he is listening.

From boarding school until I started freelancing I lived with other people's more or less awful music, but I am not musical, and as a rule dislike singing. I do have some favourite composers and classics, but then I like to listen to them, not use them as background noise.

I'm with Muriel - I prefer quiet when I'm working and am lucky enough to live in a quiet side street with birds in the garden and not much other noise.
Collapse

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
alemán al inglés
Not unless.. Jul 28, 2013

.. it's the "Sound of Silence".

Steve K.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Never Jul 28, 2013

My partner has the TV on all day.
I used to block the sound out mentally, but now I revel in some excellent German-made wax earplugs.
What bliss!
What wonderfully focussed concentration!

Patricia Prevost
Patricia Prevost  Identity Verified
España
inglés al español
+ ...
Almost always Jul 28, 2013

I only turn the music off when I'm proofreading.

Arjan van den Berg
Arjan van den Berg  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:44
Miembro 2010
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
Yes Jul 29, 2013

During work YouTube is my best friend.
Bach keyboard music and cello suites, Beethoven sonatas en string quartets, even Mahler symphonies or a complete St. Matthew Passion. David Bowie, Leonard Cohen and Tom Waits add a more contemporary note.

Once in a while I take off my headphones to think about a complicated sentence.

Arjan

Ian Fafard
Ian Fafard
Local time: 05:44
inglés al francés
Only certain things though! Aug 8, 2013

Like someone else here said: during work, YouTube is my best friend! Music makes it easier to focus on longer projects that take all day. It gives me a white noise of a rythm in the background, and that livens up work a bit.

I'm picky about it, though. I only listen to booming orchestral tracks or movie soundtracks (at the moment, Two Steps From Hell is a favorite of mine); just things without lyrics in them. To hear someone sing while I'm trying to come up with phrases can be very
... See more
Like someone else here said: during work, YouTube is my best friend! Music makes it easier to focus on longer projects that take all day. It gives me a white noise of a rythm in the background, and that livens up work a bit.

I'm picky about it, though. I only listen to booming orchestral tracks or movie soundtracks (at the moment, Two Steps From Hell is a favorite of mine); just things without lyrics in them. To hear someone sing while I'm trying to come up with phrases can be very distracting.
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you listen to music while translating?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »