Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever "donated" your translation/interpreting services pro bono for a good cause?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japón
Local time: 20:23
Miembro 2011
japonés al inglés
Once again Nov 30, 2012

Robert hits the nail on the head. Thank you!

Robert Forstag wrote:

Rather than discuss how or whether we should donate our services, I'd prefer to see more time devoted to conversations as to what could be done to bolster the profession so that more of us might be able to realistically consider doing pro bono work.

Believe me, I would love to do beautiful things and work for higher, lofty ideals. But the really is quite different.
I would love to see our profession elevated in terms of both status and remuneration. You see this with equally capable lawyers and doctors who have worked hard for 20 to 30 years and earned a proportional amount of respect and an income commensurate to this. Why shouldn't we?

I'm trying to remain positive about this profession in spite of being asked today to postpone payment for an ongoing project I started over a month ago due to finish in January and accept payment mid March in spite of a contract already in place, issued PO and an historical payment record to prove regular scheduled payment mid project.

How can I think about the beautiful when a seasoned translator is being treated like a toilet? Where is the respect in this? And would you do the same to a doctor or lawyer?

No beauty in this. So why expect anything beautiful from me when I am not afforded any luxuries?

Yours,

One very cynical, jaded translator

Enrique Cavalitto
Enrique Cavalitto  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 08:23
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
Translators without Borders Nov 30, 2012

Translators without Borders' volunteers have delivered over 6.5 million words to humanitarian organizations in need since January 2011, an impressive indication of the generosity and professionalism of our amazing volunteers.

Regards,
Enrique

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Local time: 13:23
Miembro 2003
danés al inglés
+ ...
My own special niche Nov 30, 2012

I work especially for one particular local organisation that runs largely on volunteers and donations, although it is in fact known in many parts of the world. In the past I have spent time serving in their shop, but I find translating for them is more flexible - and there are not so many others who can do that for them.

Otherwise I firmly tell charities asking for donations that my firm doesn't give to any of them - it is too small. Then there is no hassle with accounts and tax au
... See more
I work especially for one particular local organisation that runs largely on volunteers and donations, although it is in fact known in many parts of the world. In the past I have spent time serving in their shop, but I find translating for them is more flexible - and there are not so many others who can do that for them.

Otherwise I firmly tell charities asking for donations that my firm doesn't give to any of them - it is too small. Then there is no hassle with accounts and tax authorities, and I can support the ones I really want to support from my private account.

I do on occasions work pro bono as time permits for other non-profit causes, and where there is a need but no money, but I agree that on the whole, translation is work and should be paid for at a realistic rate.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 04:23
Miembro 2003
español al inglés
+ ...
On a few occasions Dec 1, 2012

I have also volunteered preferential rates for clients whose work has a charitable purpose--but not when I'm asked to do it. I want it to be my decision.

Most of my work is for international organizations that provide technical cooperation, so much of the time I feel that I'm making a difference by doing a good job getting the messages across between the parties.

Also:

Robert Forstag wrote:
. . .
Rather than discuss how or whether we should donate our services, I'd prefer to see more time devoted to conversations as to what could be done to bolster the profession so that more of us might be able to realistically consider doing pro bono work.

[Edited at 2012-11-30 15:06 GMT]

This may be off-topic, but personally I don't see that income has anything to do with the decision to share what one has or can offer to others.

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever "donated" your translation/interpreting services pro bono for a good cause?

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »