Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: How often do you back up your work?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
weilliam618
weilliam618
Local time: 08:24
chino al inglés
+ ...
once a day May 8, 2009

I find it better to back up my work via internet hardware and mailbox.

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 20:24
alemán al inglés
Daily and sometimes twice daily May 8, 2009

I have an automated system that backs up my system files and work files daily to an external HD. On very busy days I back up all my work files at midday. When going on a trip I back up to an additional hard drive that I store away from my office in event of fire/theft in my absence. I also save a "ghost" image of my working hard drives weekly in the event of a total failure.

I should also mention that I used to have an emergency backup dog.

Carmen Cuervo-Arango
Carmen Cuervo-Arango  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 02:24
inglés al español
+ ...
PC + laptop + external hard disc with daily backups for extra security May 8, 2009

Celine Gras wrote:

I work from home and from my office on an external hard drive, and everytime I close a project folder, I copy/paste it on the hard drive of either my laptop or my desktop computer.

I do the same as Celine. An external hard drive is less likely to crash than a PC, which is more complex. Moreover, if you have a laptop, you just have to plug the external hard drive and all the information is ready with no extra work.

By day's end, I make a copy of the project(s) I have been working in in my PC. In case it is a tough job, I even make a couple of copies a day.

We depend a lot on our tools. I think we really need a PC + a laptop + an external hard disc. That's the only way not to lose any valuable information or job and to be able to go on working if one of these elements breaks down.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
inglés al francés
+ ...
External hard drive May 8, 2009

I thought that would save my life and all archives, but it is quite the contrary... At the end of the year, I prepare a professional archive (for insurance purposes) on my external disk, before burning it all on a CD. That and some other files (pictures, music, reference documents) were all (safely, I thought) stored on my external disk for a short while before storing on various supports when... the external disk (13 months old) quit on me. It seems it is a matter of controller and my computer ... See more
I thought that would save my life and all archives, but it is quite the contrary... At the end of the year, I prepare a professional archive (for insurance purposes) on my external disk, before burning it all on a CD. That and some other files (pictures, music, reference documents) were all (safely, I thought) stored on my external disk for a short while before storing on various supports when... the external disk (13 months old) quit on me. It seems it is a matter of controller and my computer geek still hopes to find a way to get those data back.Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
inglés al francés
+ ...
Found a way... May 9, 2009

... to recover lost data after a crash. Not very cheap, but when data are unvaluable:

http://www.stellarinfo.com/partition-recovery.htm?gclid=CIrGw5KdrJoCFQqF3godeUu1dA

Ellis Jongsma
Ellis Jongsma  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Miembro 2006
inglés al neerlandés
I chose "monthly", but... Jun 4, 2009

...it really depends. I always do a back up of all files (assignments, invoices, plannings, etc.) in the first week each month. But when I'm working on a big translation, of course I back up a few times a day.

The monthly back up is on my external disk. The other back ups I do via e-mail. Just sending the translations to myself.

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How often do you back up your work?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »