Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: When speaking, do you mix your working languages?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
inglés al español
+ ...
Absolutely, it depends on whom I'm with Apr 7, 2009

With my school friends, we sometimes use "Spanglish" as a joke.

With my husband, the occasional word in another language usually carries with it a lot of associations (shorthand, hypertext?) and we use it for that purpose.

I have one good friend who in fact is the mother of one of my school friends. She was born in England and came to this country when she married, over 50 years ago, but she still feels more comfortable speaking in English. So when I'm with her I try
... See more
With my school friends, we sometimes use "Spanglish" as a joke.

With my husband, the occasional word in another language usually carries with it a lot of associations (shorthand, hypertext?) and we use it for that purpose.

I have one good friend who in fact is the mother of one of my school friends. She was born in England and came to this country when she married, over 50 years ago, but she still feels more comfortable speaking in English. So when I'm with her I try to stick to English, but sometimes I don't really remember what part of the conversation was in which language because she tries to accommodate me too.

The rest of the time I try to speak Spanish without mixing words: it's such a lovely language, with so many possibilities! Also, I remember that when we were children, my mother's cousins tended to stick phrases in French in the middle of their sentences and we all laughed behind their backs, so I don't want to end up in the same situation as them.

Slightly off topic: when I watch a film in another language I know, I try not to read the subtitles, but sometimes I'm not sure if I did or if I didn't. Does anyone else have that experience?

Lucía
Collapse

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 02:26
Miembro 2003
italiano al español
+ ...
You mean intentionally or accidentally? Apr 7, 2009

Phillippa Bennett wrote:

Do you mean I mix up my languages - that I confuse English with Portuguese and vice versa? Or that I deliberately borrow words from Portuguese that sound better or have no equivalent in English?
Or maybe both of these..

Thanks

[Edited at 2009-04-07 12:40 GMT]

Same doubt here!
I very seldom do it accidentally, and I certainly don't like it when it happens.
I sometimes do it intentionally, with my family.

Gina W
Gina W
Estados Unidos
Local time: 20:26
Miembro 2003
francés al inglés
Not sure if I "mix", but I use them both Apr 7, 2009

I don't "mix" them as far as confusing my working languages, but I do use them both and do/can easily switch back and forth from one to the other.

Fabio Descalzi
Fabio Descalzi  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:26
Miembro 2004
alemán al español
+ ...
Not anymore as a grown-up (although I used to, years ago) Apr 7, 2009

My mother tongue is Spanish, and I fluently speak English and German as professional-level languages. No way to mix them so far, I just "switch" to the corresponding language.

But, during the last century, before I had my unique opportunity of working abroad, I supposedly was able to speak in 6 different languages... you can guess how much I actually mixed them up. For instance, take Italian (a self-taught language): I was half-thinking in Spanish, half-thinking in French and trying
... See more
My mother tongue is Spanish, and I fluently speak English and German as professional-level languages. No way to mix them so far, I just "switch" to the corresponding language.

But, during the last century, before I had my unique opportunity of working abroad, I supposedly was able to speak in 6 different languages... you can guess how much I actually mixed them up. For instance, take Italian (a self-taught language): I was half-thinking in Spanish, half-thinking in French and trying to express myself in Italian
Collapse

Amy Duncan (X)
Amy Duncan (X)  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 21:26
portugués al inglés
+ ...
Nope Apr 7, 2009

I live in Brazil and 90% of the people I know or deal with don't speak English, so why would I mix it in? On the other hand, if I try to speak Spanish, it comes out totally Portuñol...lol.

Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez
Maria Isabel Pazos Gómez  Identity Verified
Alemania
alemán al español
+ ...
We have a very particular family language Apr 8, 2009

And use Spanish, German, Turkish and sometimes English for some terms. For example the snot is always "mocos",

Mabel

Noni Gilbert Riley
Noni Gilbert Riley
España
español al inglés
+ ...
Thanks for the giggle Mabel! Apr 8, 2009

I hadn't realised that we also do that! My two small boys have limited English, but are fluent in certain areas, which have a lot to do with the toilet!

At home I hop from one language to another, try to remember to speak English to the children, and Spanish to their monolingual father. But when I'm angry it comes out in Spanish for all of them - more efficient in communcation I suppose, and avoids adding frustration from incomprehension to my ire.

With "native" English
... See more
I hadn't realised that we also do that! My two small boys have limited English, but are fluent in certain areas, which have a lot to do with the toilet!

At home I hop from one language to another, try to remember to speak English to the children, and Spanish to their monolingual father. But when I'm angry it comes out in Spanish for all of them - more efficient in communcation I suppose, and avoids adding frustration from incomprehension to my ire.

With "native" English-speaking colleagues, the tendency is to speak in English with a liberal scattering of Spanish terms which are likely to be those which are difficult to translate quickly into English - baja, pueblo, pincho etc.

When I'm driving I notice that my muttered stream of invective comes out in English (perhaps this is a safety mechanism). But I find that the cats normally get their conversation in Spanish.

Perhaps the only time when the "mix" is a problem is when I'm trying to do cryptic crosswords in English: I have a word on the tip of my tongue and then discover that it is a Spanish word.

Edited to remove repetition.

[Edited at 2009-04-08 10:10 GMT]
Collapse

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 05:56
inglés al hindi
+ ...
Yes, I mix it. Apr 8, 2009

It usually happens when I am standing in front of my educated friends in metropolitan cities. We mix many english words while speaking Hindi and it is a popular trend. When I was working as a full-timer in Nepal, I used English and Sanskrit while speaking Nepali language, to create impact in my speech and writings. People are attracted by easy words, which can be English or Hindi words originally. And, they are easily accepted in Nepali as well.
Language is never dull and is never constant
... See more
It usually happens when I am standing in front of my educated friends in metropolitan cities. We mix many english words while speaking Hindi and it is a popular trend. When I was working as a full-timer in Nepal, I used English and Sanskrit while speaking Nepali language, to create impact in my speech and writings. People are attracted by easy words, which can be English or Hindi words originally. And, they are easily accepted in Nepali as well.
Language is never dull and is never constant. It keep on changing all the times. In English as well, there are many words taken from Indian languages.

Thanks & Regards,
PRAKAASH
Collapse

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
España
inglés al español
+ ...
And thanks for your sense of humor, too, Noni Apr 8, 2009

aceavila - Noni wrote:

My two small boys have limited English, but are fluent in certain areas, which have a lot to do with the toilet!

With "native" English-speaking colleagues, the tendency is to speak in English with a liberal scattering of Spanish terms which are likely to be those which are difficult to translate quickly into English - baja, pueblo, pincho etc.

When I'm driving I notice that my muttered stream of invective comes out in English (perhaps this is a safety mechanism). But I find that the cats normally get their conversation in Spanish.

Perhaps the only time when the "mix" is a problem is when I'm trying to do cryptic crosswords in English: I have a word on the tip of my tongue and then discover that it is a Spanish word.

At home (in Germany) we communicate in English (which explains my rather non-advanced German), but we definitely mix Spanish (with a German accent), English (with a Spanish and German accent) and German (with a Spanish accent) in our conversations, including those with our 2 cats...

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When speaking, do you mix your working languages?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »