Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Have you ever had health problems due to job stress?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
All of the above Nov 25, 2008

I have back pain, stiff shoulders, dry eyes, and depression (from skimpy work load).
However, for the last one, currently I am dealing with a huge assignment that would last for next couple of months, so I do not worry about this lack-of-job-syndrome.

Then in its stead, first three problems crop up.
As for back pain and stiff shoulders, I go health club and soak in hot spa.
This does the magic for me. Anyone out there who have access to it, please try this (as time
... See more
I have back pain, stiff shoulders, dry eyes, and depression (from skimpy work load).
However, for the last one, currently I am dealing with a huge assignment that would last for next couple of months, so I do not worry about this lack-of-job-syndrome.

Then in its stead, first three problems crop up.
As for back pain and stiff shoulders, I go health club and soak in hot spa.
This does the magic for me. Anyone out there who have access to it, please try this (as time available basis).

For dry eyes, I just avoid TV and frequent eye drops seem to help.
Collapse

Lisa Roberts
Lisa Roberts  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 03:28
español al inglés
+ ...
Musn't grumble... Nov 25, 2008

I'm surprised more haven't posted to this thread given how we all love to have a good moan

I myself am plagued with backache almost daily (encouraging at the grand old age of 27, no?) and dry, bloodshot eyes from too much staring trance-like at the computer screen, although I would suppose that it's difficult for many to determine the extent to which backache, in particular, in caused by work as opposed to other factor
... See more
I'm surprised more haven't posted to this thread given how we all love to have a good moan

I myself am plagued with backache almost daily (encouraging at the grand old age of 27, no?) and dry, bloodshot eyes from too much staring trance-like at the computer screen, although I would suppose that it's difficult for many to determine the extent to which backache, in particular, in caused by work as opposed to other factors...

Lisa
Collapse

Joan Berglund
Joan Berglund  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 21:28
Miembro 2008
francés al inglés
Mostly in the shoulders Nov 26, 2008

I worked as a Pilates instructor for years, and up until recently I also practiced once a week with my sister, but since I moved away, I have not been as faithful. I definitely feel a lot more stress in the shoulders when I skip Pilates, it is probably the best work out for shoulder girdle stabilization. My hands are killing me, too - 11,000+ words today, I have no idea why I am still typing. Just 45 more minutes of work, and then I will do some kind of de-stressing workout.

Claudia Alvis
Claudia Alvis  Identity Verified
Perú
Local time: 20:28
Miembro
español
+ ...
You should try Dragon NaturallySpeaking Nov 26, 2008

I used to have pain in my hands, arms, shoulders, back and neck. Dragon NaturallySpeaking really made all the pain go away. It's really been a night-and-day difference not just in my hands, but also in my back--I can stand up and even lift dumbbells while I dictate (while working on a first draft). Those of you with the same problem should at least give it a try, there are many stores that have a return policy. In the end, DNS has been much cheaper than paying the chiropractor.

Juan Jacob
Juan Jacob  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 19:28
francés al español
+ ...
The "turista", do you know it? Nov 26, 2008

Yes, I've had it when a lot of dead lines are coming in.
And sleeping problems, too.
But, well, after that, everything is normal.

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 21:28
Miembro 2009
francés al inglés
+ ...
more from NOT working Nov 26, 2008

i've had more health problems from stress during times of NOT working, and I am not referring to those slack periods where we don't get much work. Those can be a bit glum when you start to worry or get antsy. BUt i mean job hunting, unemployment,..the stress about money, the whole depressing scene, horrible job interviews...all causing things like anxiety, and stress related things like itchy skin, back problems etc. And working at horrible jobs for sure...mostly trouble sleeping, depression, n... See more
i've had more health problems from stress during times of NOT working, and I am not referring to those slack periods where we don't get much work. Those can be a bit glum when you start to worry or get antsy. BUt i mean job hunting, unemployment,..the stress about money, the whole depressing scene, horrible job interviews...all causing things like anxiety, and stress related things like itchy skin, back problems etc. And working at horrible jobs for sure...mostly trouble sleeping, depression, no appetite.

Now that I work on my own, i have fewer health problems...except neck cricks etc from sitting at the computer. But generally working keeps me healthy! it's NOT working that's the problem...but since I started to work on my own things are FAR better...merrier in fact as someone else put it.
Collapse

Bayan Taleb
Bayan Taleb  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 19:28
inglés al árabe
+ ...
No, simply move :) Nov 26, 2008

No
I always make sure to move every now and then when working, move my body, walk around the house so that I don’t stay focused and tense all the time working; I also exercise regularly and this helps strengthening my shoulders and my whole body. I am of course a freelance so this gives me the privilege to stop and “charge” whenever I feel the need to

Heike Kurtz
Heike Kurtz  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2005
inglés al alemán
+ ...
furniture is important - so is your workout routine Nov 26, 2008

Dennis Seine wrote:

For about a year now I have been having some pretty bad back pain, and I was wondering if there's any translators out there having the same problem. The fact that I am 6'5'', or 1.98 m, doesn't help much either... I am considering changing my desk chair, and was wondering if anyone has a recommendation? I have started doing daily stretching, getting up out of my chair every hour or so, but my chair is old and not very comfortable, to be honest... Thanks, stay healthy!

Hi Dennis,

a) you might consider changing between a sitting and standing position while working (network/laptop computer sitting on a standing desk), I have even heard of people putting a laptop computer in front of them on a treadmill when they have only reading to do...

b) a custom-made, rather high desk might be useful and

c) colleagues have recommended this chair (at least for some hours a day): http://www.workchairs.com/products/special-edition-swopper-chair

I am rather small (1,58 m) and have no problems with usual desk or chair sizes, but I experienced carpal tunnel syndrome and other RSI (shoulders, elbows, neck). It got better after I purchased the new Microsoft ergonomic keyboard (which is inclined towards the monitor) and started moving (nordic walking with an emphasis on the arm and shoulder workout, special gymnastics and strengthening workout for the back and shoulders). And I strongly recommend dancing .

[Bearbeitet am 2008-11-26 08:59 GMT]

Ingeborg Aalders
Ingeborg Aalders
Países Bajos
francés al neerlandés
+ ...
Sport is the answer to all your problems ;-) Nov 26, 2008

I am feeling a lot better since I have seriously taken up sports. I am an addicted runner now, and it really helps me to get the stress out of my head and it made my RSI and headaches go away.

Furthermore, I have even more energy now to tackle that never ending workload!

Katarina Perna
Katarina Perna
Eslovaquia
Miembro 2009
inglés al eslovaco
+ ...
Stress and bad health Nov 26, 2008

When translating I often get a backache and my eyes hurt due to sitting in front of the pc for hours. In the past I used to work as a tourist guide and at that time I also studied at university, had a lot of interests and was very eager to try everything new...after a few months I nearly collapsed. I could not eat or sleep, I had nausea and I started to take pills to tranquilize myself...now I know I am not a robot and I cannot do a lot of things at the same time, so my life has now taken a comp... See more
When translating I often get a backache and my eyes hurt due to sitting in front of the pc for hours. In the past I used to work as a tourist guide and at that time I also studied at university, had a lot of interests and was very eager to try everything new...after a few months I nearly collapsed. I could not eat or sleep, I had nausea and I started to take pills to tranquilize myself...now I know I am not a robot and I cannot do a lot of things at the same time, so my life has now taken a completely different direction and I only do what is the most important for me...:-)
Now I relax more than ever and I go hiking and walking whenever it is possible and it really helps me. In fact, sports are really relaxing and I recommend everybody to take up one in order to feel better not only physically but also psychically.
Collapse

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 18:28
Miembro 2003
español al inglés
+ ...
Long nights take their toll Nov 26, 2008

For some reason, I usually end up working late to meet deadlines. I mean REALLY late. That cuts into my hours of sleep. When I was younger I got away with pulling all-nighters, but now my immune system kicks up when I don't get enough sleep and I end up with breathing problems. It's gotten so that the minute I push envelope too far, I start having respiratory symptoms.

It's not in my nature to take care of myself, so I don't think I'll ever change.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Miembro 2003
danés al inglés
+ ...
Migraine... Nov 26, 2008

There is an enormous psychological element in my migraine.

When I've kept it at bay by going for frequent walks and doing shoulder exercises, drinking water and fruit juice as well as coffee, planning my days to fit important things in and not waste time... And of course keeping away from the perfumes I can´t tolerate...

I get a rushed job proofed, corrected, checked again and off, and then just as I press the Send button on the e-mail, that familiar thump, thump, thum
... See more
There is an enormous psychological element in my migraine.

When I've kept it at bay by going for frequent walks and doing shoulder exercises, drinking water and fruit juice as well as coffee, planning my days to fit important things in and not waste time... And of course keeping away from the perfumes I can´t tolerate...

I get a rushed job proofed, corrected, checked again and off, and then just as I press the Send button on the e-mail, that familiar thump, thump, thump starts behind my left eye!

Modern medication is miraculous - I am perfectly happy and sometimes even get slightly ´high´ for an hour or two on the pills, but I am totally incapable of translating or anything mentally demanding. Bright lights still hurt, so any trips to the cinema have to be postponed, and I don´t watch TV those evenings.

But hey, it only lasts a few hours, and I certainly don't get migraine as I used to when I was younger.

Collapse

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italia
inglés al italiano
problems Nov 26, 2008

Well, my hands and my arms hurt, it's just because sometimes I have tight deadlines and I work even 14 hours, and obviously, I am not the nicest person to talk to, stressed and nervous.
Anyway, I love my job, things will get better

Fiona Stephenson
Fiona Stephenson
Reino Unido
Local time: 02:28
portugués al inglés
+ ...
no stress, but physical aches and pains Nov 28, 2008

I haven't suffered from mental stress, although things can get quite hectic sometimes (incidentally, have you noticed how we can be up to the eyeballs with work, but to anybody looking on, we're just sitting here at the computer typing away as normal - like ducks serenly gliding along - all the activity is going on below the water), but a few side-effects of spending long hours at the computer: back pain, "mouse" shoulder pain (I have a mouse mat with a little wrist-rest filled with a jelly-like... See more
I haven't suffered from mental stress, although things can get quite hectic sometimes (incidentally, have you noticed how we can be up to the eyeballs with work, but to anybody looking on, we're just sitting here at the computer typing away as normal - like ducks serenly gliding along - all the activity is going on below the water), but a few side-effects of spending long hours at the computer: back pain, "mouse" shoulder pain (I have a mouse mat with a little wrist-rest filled with a jelly-like substance which helps a lot, I guess a rolled up towel would do the same - the idea is that the arm is raised up so it is alligned with the mouse), and recently, lack of circulation in the lower legs. I used to get eye strain and headaches, but I fixed that by wearing dark sunglasses. I recommend it - took a while to get used to, but I've never had eye strain since. Sometimes I forget to take them off when people come in, and I get some funny looks wearing sunglasses indoors, but hey, better to look an idiot that not look at all!

Fiona
Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungría
Miembro 2006
ruso al húngaro
+ ...
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
suicide Dec 3, 2008

because of a nonpaid bill for a whole project. My company almost came to banktruptcy and my life crushed all around.

Never again. The owner of this company form like mine is responsible for the company deals and contracts with all his/her private means, including my own flat.

I am not shaming now. That moment I though if I lose the flat I lose my children. Thanks for all the translators who was on my side at this time.

Three years later I think anything is
... See more
because of a nonpaid bill for a whole project. My company almost came to banktruptcy and my life crushed all around.

Never again. The owner of this company form like mine is responsible for the company deals and contracts with all his/her private means, including my own flat.

I am not shaming now. That moment I though if I lose the flat I lose my children. Thanks for all the translators who was on my side at this time.

Three years later I think anything is dearest then one and half million forints. That time the company existed only 8th day...I paid a very expensive price for being not informed about the customer: I could not use my left arm for a long period and since then I am still typing very slow with my left hand.

..and now I look at the companies and non-paying agencies with clear conscience, and finally, before somebody asks me, all the translators were paid in 15 days in that project. I got my money only a long time after due.

[Módosítva: 2008-12-03 09:07 GMT]

[Módosítva: 2008-12-03 09:11 GMT]
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever had health problems due to job stress?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »