Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: How much time do you spend outdoors on a normal working day?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Daniela Koleva
Daniela Koleva  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Local time: 02:22
inglés al búlgaro
+ ...
I wish it was more... Nov 17, 2008

I replied "Other", as it's quite different every day and it depends on where I am. When I'm back home in Bulgaria I usually take an hour or so to do my groceries and walk around the town. I love those walks on the main street...
But now... in US... there are days that I don't go outside and I feel really miserable then. Well, not that I don't want to, but the place where I live is just in the middle of nowhere... I still compensate it in the weekends when I go visiting various places - par
... See more
I replied "Other", as it's quite different every day and it depends on where I am. When I'm back home in Bulgaria I usually take an hour or so to do my groceries and walk around the town. I love those walks on the main street...
But now... in US... there are days that I don't go outside and I feel really miserable then. Well, not that I don't want to, but the place where I live is just in the middle of nowhere... I still compensate it in the weekends when I go visiting various places - parks, cities...
But nothing compares to an hour walk in my home city... I miss it...
Collapse

Alexandra Goldburt
Alexandra Goldburt
Local time: 17:22
inglés al ruso
+ ...
I am green with envy! Nov 17, 2008

Amy Duncan wrote:

BUT.....tomorrow I am moving back to Rio de Janeiro...yayayayayayayayay! I'll be living three blocks from Copacabana beach, so I'll be sure to get out a LOT more.

One day, I'll follow your footsteps... But for now, I'm stuck... (Kids, cats, whatever...)

Sigh...

[Edited at 2008-11-17 20:31 GMT]

Katarina Dusikova
Katarina Dusikova  Identity Verified
Italia
Miembro 2008
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Does balcony count as "outdoors"? Nov 17, 2008

Because sometimes I am lucky if I make it from my desk to the balcony!
I voted

Katarina Dusikova
Katarina Dusikova  Identity Verified
Italia
Miembro 2008
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Am I doing something wrong? Nov 17, 2008

Is it just me or the text of my previous post has been cropped after the words "I voted"?

lillkakan
lillkakan
inglés al sueco
Preferably none Nov 17, 2008

I really must say I dislike these polls, inquiring about "real life activities", be it spending time outdoors or meeting clients in person. There seems to be this "hunt" for and desire to expose what is "normal" and not?

I chose to be a freelance translator working from home specifically so that I wouldn't have to go outside every day, meet with other people and the like. Yes, I have issues. And it became too much of a struggle to try and overcome them. Instead I have arranged my li
... See more
I really must say I dislike these polls, inquiring about "real life activities", be it spending time outdoors or meeting clients in person. There seems to be this "hunt" for and desire to expose what is "normal" and not?

I chose to be a freelance translator working from home specifically so that I wouldn't have to go outside every day, meet with other people and the like. Yes, I have issues. And it became too much of a struggle to try and overcome them. Instead I have arranged my life around said issues. Works like a charm actually, and I'm happy. If it weren't for the judging eye of those "normal" people.

As long as I'm left alone, I'm doing fine. And I do go outside, a couple of times a week, when I run out of milk for my coffee ...
Collapse

Niina Lahokoski
Niina Lahokoski  Identity Verified
Finlandia
Local time: 03:22
Miembro 2008
inglés al finlandés
+ ...
1-2 hours almost every day Nov 17, 2008

I own a horse, so I go horseback riding or otherwise play with my horse outdoors almost every day. Without him I would probably sit in front of my laptop all day, day after day...

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 21:22
Miembro 2007
inglés al español
+ ...

MODERADOR
Some of you guys are soooooooooooo lucky!! Nov 17, 2008

Amy moving to Rio, Niina riding her very own horse ...

I do try to go out every day and keep as much of my weekend as I can work-free.. but just the thought of Copacabana or my own horse makes me sigh with envy

Bye for now, I'll be heading off to do my shopping.

Cheers!

Theo Bernards (X)
Theo Bernards (X)  Identity Verified
Francia
inglés al neerlandés
+ ...
Why work from home if you can't enjoy the surroundings Nov 17, 2008

I work from home and the reason for that is that I was fed up with being stuck in an noffice building doing things for someone else who makes a lot of money from your brain power and does actially little more than providing employment. I now have my own office at home and spend a lot of mowing the lawn, working around the house (sawing wood for the fireplace is a very time consuming activity) or generally lazing about and reading ... See more
I work from home and the reason for that is that I was fed up with being stuck in an noffice building doing things for someone else who makes a lot of money from your brain power and does actially little more than providing employment. I now have my own office at home and spend a lot of mowing the lawn, working around the house (sawing wood for the fireplace is a very time consuming activity) or generally lazing about and reading clouds (fascinating stuff, by the way). It is not very exciting to some, but it is just about as much excitement I need in my life. I occasionally remind myself why I came to the south of France, at which point I can only come to the conclusion that my wife and I are truly content with the life style we have...Collapse

Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungría
Miembro 2006
ruso al húngaro
+ ...
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
close to Nov 18, 2008

Richard Jenkins wrote:
Yes, I'm a total weird geekoid who hasn't seen the sun in a decade, lol.

Close to.

But today is an exception.

I was totally mad and upset and I spent the full day out of the office and visited all my clients who did not pay the invoice.

Came back with some cash and bank transfer confirmations, and collected a nice fan. Fun? Tomorrow I can continue my work and my only one desire NOT seeing any clients and NOT listening any explanations, why late.

I want just shut the door, being alone, and no more "outdoor activities". ;-(

(sorry, if I was a bit offtopic)

[Módosítva: 2008-11-18 00:02 GMT]

Nigel Greenwood (X)
Nigel Greenwood (X)  Identity Verified
España
español al inglés
+ ...
Outdoors = Not working and relaxing outside. I do Nov 18, 2008

Hi to all,
When the weather is good, I also work outside on my laptop, sitting out in the garden. But, I guess that doesn't count.

Nevertheless, I have to exercise so I spend at least 45 minutes each evening walking (semi-jogging) round the estate with my wife.

Let’s face it, our work requires sitting in front of a computer screen. But, we ALL need a break.

Have a great week.
... See more
Hi to all,
When the weather is good, I also work outside on my laptop, sitting out in the garden. But, I guess that doesn't count.

Nevertheless, I have to exercise so I spend at least 45 minutes each evening walking (semi-jogging) round the estate with my wife.

Let’s face it, our work requires sitting in front of a computer screen. But, we ALL need a break.

Have a great week.

nigel.
Collapse

David Brown
David Brown  Identity Verified
España
español al inglés
Normal Working Day! Nov 18, 2008

Sorry, but "normal working day" caught my eye more than spending time outdoors.
I earn a reasonable living from freelance translating, but my working hours are far from normal in the context of "office hours".
Would you believe that I spend up to 3 hours every day in daylight out of doors. I have a 1 hour walk in the morning and another in the late afternoon, and regularly have lunch on the pavement terrace of some café. I read quite a lot but hardly watch any television, but liste
... See more
Sorry, but "normal working day" caught my eye more than spending time outdoors.
I earn a reasonable living from freelance translating, but my working hours are far from normal in the context of "office hours".
Would you believe that I spend up to 3 hours every day in daylight out of doors. I have a 1 hour walk in the morning and another in the late afternoon, and regularly have lunch on the pavement terrace of some café. I read quite a lot but hardly watch any television, but listen to the radio (¿what's that?). I have a bit more free-time at weekends for walks on the beach etc.
I worked for around 40 years in a hospital and my hours were also far from normal but I always appreciated leaving work behind to get away from the working environment.
Joking apart, I believe it is essential to get out in the air and walk or do some sort of exercise every day to clear one's head and stimulate the mind and body.
Collapse

Marijke Singer
Marijke Singer  Identity Verified
España
Miembro
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
1 to 2 hours outside Nov 18, 2008

I got a dog 2 years ago and now walk every morning for an hour or so and 40 minutes in the evening. I share the dog with my daughter and she does the afternoon hour walk. Our dog is a big chocolate labrador who loves meeting his mates in the park or down at the river. I have met a whole bunch of new people (other dog owners but also teenagers since our dog is very sociable and will talk to anybody). Best thing I ever did. I am no longer a cave dweller and my health is a lot better. The funny thi... See more
I got a dog 2 years ago and now walk every morning for an hour or so and 40 minutes in the evening. I share the dog with my daughter and she does the afternoon hour walk. Our dog is a big chocolate labrador who loves meeting his mates in the park or down at the river. I have met a whole bunch of new people (other dog owners but also teenagers since our dog is very sociable and will talk to anybody). Best thing I ever did. I am no longer a cave dweller and my health is a lot better. The funny thing is that my income has also gone up. Go figure!Collapse

Maria Malamova-Pancheva
Maria Malamova-Pancheva  Identity Verified
Luxemburgo
inglés al búlgaro
+ ...
I don't know the meaning of a normal working day Nov 18, 2008

My days are so varied and with an almost two year old daughter I often skip the agenda and go out for a walk of 30, 60, or 90 minutes.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 17:22
Miembro 2003
español al inglés
+ ...
I live in San Diego Nov 18, 2008

The weather is nearly perfect here (300 sunny days in the last year), and I live in the perfect place, with 38 acres of parks and over 1000 trees. I take my dogs for at least 3 walks a day in this lovely setting. Doors to the outside are usually open, and I eat meals on my vine-covered patio deck. Even when I'm in my office, I don't feel as if I'm "indoors," because the window is usually open and I recently put in two skylights.

This is the semi-retirement life I have chosen, but I
... See more
The weather is nearly perfect here (300 sunny days in the last year), and I live in the perfect place, with 38 acres of parks and over 1000 trees. I take my dogs for at least 3 walks a day in this lovely setting. Doors to the outside are usually open, and I eat meals on my vine-covered patio deck. Even when I'm in my office, I don't feel as if I'm "indoors," because the window is usually open and I recently put in two skylights.

This is the semi-retirement life I have chosen, but I earned my reward - over 30 years inside hermetically sealed buildings.
Collapse

Sonia Hill
Sonia Hill
Reino Unido
Local time: 01:22
italiano al inglés
1-2 hours Nov 18, 2008

I have two dogs, so need to walk them for at least an hour every day whatever the weather. Yesterday there was a very cold wind and drizzle, but I still went out and actually enjoyed it. I love my walks and feel much better having spent some time outside, even if the weather is horrible. It's very refreshing
I also have a 14-month-old and find it essential to get out of the house when he is not at the childminder's house (3
... See more
I have two dogs, so need to walk them for at least an hour every day whatever the weather. Yesterday there was a very cold wind and drizzle, but I still went out and actually enjoyed it. I love my walks and feel much better having spent some time outside, even if the weather is horrible. It's very refreshing
I also have a 14-month-old and find it essential to get out of the house when he is not at the childminder's house (3 mornings a week plus weekends), otherwise we would both go mad!

Edited to add that I live in a rural part of England, with lots of lovely open countryside and plenty of public footpaths - this definitely makes getting out easier and more enjoyable!

[Edited at 2008-11-18 11:56 GMT]
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How much time do you spend outdoors on a normal working day?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »