Payments Italy-Ireland
Autor de la hebra: Lisibu78
Lisibu78
Lisibu78
Italia
Nov 13, 2014

Hi everybody,

I've just got a freelance translator agreement from a company based in Ireland. They ask me to send them monthly "proper invoices on completion of work", but I don't have a value added tax (VAT) registration number and I live in Italy. How can I handle payments?

Thank you in advance.

Tom in London
Tom in London
Reino Unido
Local time: 12:37
Miembro 2008
italiano al inglés
easy Nov 13, 2014

Lisibu78 wrote:

Hi everybody,

I've just got a freelance translator agreement from a company based in Ireland. They ask me to send them monthly "proper invoices on completion of work", but I don't have a value added tax (VAT) registration number and I live in Italy. How can I handle payments?

Thank you in advance.

"Proper invoices" is just a manner of speaking. All they mean is that they don't want just a piece of paper, but a proper invoice with your name at the top, etc etc.

All you need to do is send in one of your usual invoices, in Italian of course, in the usual way. If you are VAT exempt, you might want to add a note at the bottom of the invoice, (in Italian) saying something along the lines of "this invoice is VAT exempt in compliance with Italian tax law".

Your invoices have to be in Italian, because you are registered in Italy as a taxpayer, and it's the Italian authorities who need to be able to understand your invoices. If your Irish client can't understand Italian, you could always attach a translation, on a separate piece of paper of course.

I just hope this isn't the Irish translation agency I worked with a few years ago, that wouldn't pay me, is actually based in Russia, and has now been banned from Proz! If you want to know who that is, just email me in private.

[Edited at 2014-11-13 12:05 GMT]

Lisibu78
Lisibu78
Italia
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Reply to Tom Nov 13, 2014

Hi Tom,
thank you for your prompt reply.
The company isn't the same because I have a contract with a website and not a translation agency and they are based in Ireland, not in Russia. Thank you anyway.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 13:37
Miembro 2009
inglés al alemán
+ ...
VAT excempt Nov 13, 2014

Regardless of where your client is located, you could add the note that in accordance with Italian Tax Laws para XXX you are VAT excempt. This suffices.

Lisibu78
Lisibu78
Italia
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Thanks Thayenga Nov 14, 2014

Thanks Thayenga for your reply

Have a nice day

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 13:37
Miembro 2009
inglés al alemán
+ ...
;) Nov 14, 2014

Lisibu78 wrote:

Thanks Thayenga for your reply

Have a nice day

My pleasure, Lisibu. You have a nice day as well.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Payments Italy-Ireland

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »