Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: Do you sing or play any musical instruments?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Reed James
Reed James
Chile
Local time: 00:50
Miembro 2005
español al inglés
The ivory crate May 11, 2007

I have been playing the piano since age 5. I took lessons for several years. Now I do it for some rest and relaxation as a break away from the computer.

I play in the style of the great "ticklers" of Harlem Stride Piano. I like Bach too.

Rebekka Groß (X)
Rebekka Groß (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:50
inglés al alemán
I sing all the time... May 11, 2007

...and totally out of tune. Just as well my very musical partner is incredibly understanding

Denise DeVries
Denise DeVries  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 00:50
español al inglés
+ ...
musical talent skipped a generation May 11, 2007

My four children are involved in music, and I'm told that my father and aunt used to perform together as children. My father hated it so much he didn't try to teach me.

Ivette Camargo López
Ivette Camargo López  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 06:50
inglés al español
+ ...
Impressed by all in groups or choirs, but liked Amy Duncan's in particular... May 11, 2007

Hi Amy,

Amy Duncan wrote:

Howzabout that for shameless self-promotion!

No need to be ashamed of that! Thanx for sharing!

May I suggest that you include your music links in your Proz.com profile (maybe in the Personal section area)? I know our profiles are supposed to be related with translation, but obviously a lot of Prozians like you are multi-talented, as this poll has proven, so I vote for including these talents as well in our profiles.

I like jazz in general and wind instruments being in general a crucial sound of jazz, I like many wind-instrument virtuosos from Branford Marsalis to Herb Alpert/Chuck Mangione/John Klemmer to classic jazz idols such as Miles Davis, Dexter Gordon or Thelonius Monk, etc. etc.

From what I just listened to in your website, I particularly liked Bossa for Borodin and It's Just Impossible.

Keep it up!

Best,

Ivette

P.S.: BTW, I used to play the guitar...

Marion Lurf
Marion Lurf  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 05:50
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Confessions of a non-musical person May 11, 2007

During most of my childhood and teenage years, I used to play the flute, as well as the recorder, the clarinet and the piano for shorter periods of time.
As a flutist I was part of an Austrian marching band (where the average age seemed to be around 60) and several orchestras, however, at the age of 16 or 17 I realised that:
- my talent and passion for sports exceeded my musical talent by far
- 9 a.m. rehearsals on Sunday mornings are not compatible with going out on Saturday n
... See more
During most of my childhood and teenage years, I used to play the flute, as well as the recorder, the clarinet and the piano for shorter periods of time.
As a flutist I was part of an Austrian marching band (where the average age seemed to be around 60) and several orchestras, however, at the age of 16 or 17 I realised that:
- my talent and passion for sports exceeded my musical talent by far
- 9 a.m. rehearsals on Sunday mornings are not compatible with going out on Saturday nights
- neither with my weekend job as a waitress
- nor my growing interest in the opposite sex
...so I quit. However, kudos to anyone who manages to play a musical instrument or sing without destroying other people's eardrums or sanity!
Collapse

anna-b
anna-b  Identity Verified
Italia
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Yes, piano and recorder May 11, 2007

Hi
this is an amazing question!! Thanks for it...

Music really warms my heart, and I tend to think it is a part of my karma because it has always been a very important issue all my life.

I used to play the piano when I was a child, I studied for 5 years then in my adolescence I gave up, more or less for the same reasons as Marion's...
After graduating, I worked for several years in a training centre which delivered music courses, too... And my first job was
... See more
Hi
this is an amazing question!! Thanks for it...

Music really warms my heart, and I tend to think it is a part of my karma because it has always been a very important issue all my life.

I used to play the piano when I was a child, I studied for 5 years then in my adolescence I gave up, more or less for the same reasons as Marion's...
After graduating, I worked for several years in a training centre which delivered music courses, too... And my first job was to teach English to a group of professional musicians! So I started again with the piano.... I love Bach and Debussy.
Now I am studying the baroque recorder too, it is so different from the piano and not easy at all (in spite of what we are told at school). When the sound comes out pure and open, it is great satisfaction.

But my partner is a professional musician, sometimes we play together... And together we have created an indie label to publish his jazz works... If you want to listen to a few tracks, just go to: http://www.myspace.com/tizianozanotti...

So you see, this is my experience, in a very few words...
Collapse

Tony M
Tony M
Francia
Miembro
francés al inglés
+ ...
LOCALIZADOR DEL SITIO
I've got an answer to that one! Jun 3, 2007

Once at a symphony concert, the frightfully plummy fur-coated lady next to me, in the course of our polite small talk, said to me "Do you play anything?", to which, in a moment of rare wit, I replied "Only the fool... and the gramophone!"

I was so pleased with my riposte, I have been using it ever since!

And no, sadly, I have absolutely zero talent, much as I would love to be able to play or sing something — and especially as when I was little, because my Mum w
... See more
Once at a symphony concert, the frightfully plummy fur-coated lady next to me, in the course of our polite small talk, said to me "Do you play anything?", to which, in a moment of rare wit, I replied "Only the fool... and the gramophone!"

I was so pleased with my riposte, I have been using it ever since!

And no, sadly, I have absolutely zero talent, much as I would love to be able to play or sing something — and especially as when I was little, because my Mum was always recounting her nostalgic memories of visits to Covent Garden in her younger days and singing me Schubert Lieder, I had fond dreams of becoming an opera singer — though I think I fancied the rôle of Amelita Gallicurci more than the rather ridiculous, portly figure of Richard Tauber (to whom her mother-in-law had taught English)!

So when we had auditions at primary school for the school choir, I was utterly mortified to be summarily rejected at about the same time the second 'note' left my lips... ,,Ach, Du liebe Augustin..", I can remember it still!

Things that happen when you're that young can mark one for life, and bashing away on the chime-bars was never the same!
Collapse

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you sing or play any musical instruments?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »