Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you negotiate your deadlines with your clients?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Manuel Rossetti (X)
Manuel Rossetti (X)
Local time: 08:54
negotiating deadlines Sep 23, 2006

Astrid Elke Johnson wrote:

It begins by the client writing and asking how soon I can do a translation. If I have plenty of others to do, that are waiting in the queue, I dislike this kind of pressure - and especially as I never know what they mean. I feel that what they want to hear is, "I will start on it right now, Sir/Madam, it is just about 10 a.m. Would 12 noon be fine, Sir/Madam, or would that be too late?" In other words, I think they are trying to jump the queue.

Then I have to scratch my head and think what to say that will not thoroughly offend them, knowing that I am going to be working flat out for the next three days, and I do not want another deadline to follow on immediately after that.

I find, therefore, that usually the best way to deal with the situation is to write back and say, "I have quite a backlog at the moment - but when is the very latest that you need it by?" Usually they then withdraw from their hope of having it within the next hour and suggest a semi-reasonable deadline.

Astrid

If the deadline is not reasonable I try to negotiate. However, most of the time the agency is firm on their deadline. The longest extension that I have received on a deadline was half an hour. For me, agencies are only willing to increase the rate of my pay by .01 or .02cents more per word. To me, this is no big deal. Furthermore, I'm not greedy or desperate for money that I will put myself through the hassle and stress of an unreasonable deadline and risk not getting paid at all. I can't help but to see low ratings on agencies because the translator took on an urgent project and did not get paid at all.

Sophie Dzhygir
Sophie Dzhygir  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 09:54
alemán al francés
+ ...
Too short deadline... Sep 26, 2006

... for the client!!!

I just wanted to share this with you, especially with Astrid (to give hope): one agency just told me the deadline I offered (tomorrow) was TOO TIGHT because the file was not even ready for translation and they would need a translation by Friday.

Would you ever dream of having a client complaining about a too short deadline?

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you negotiate your deadlines with your clients?

Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »