Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you use time tracking software?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Erzsébet Czopyk
Erzsébet Czopyk  Identity Verified
Hungary
Local time: 03:37
Member (2006)
Russian to Hungarian
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
aversion Sep 10, 2015

I just hate the numbers and knowing "how efficient" I'm being.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 21:37
English to Spanish
+ ...
Two different aspects Sep 10, 2015

I don't use time tracking software. I use a low-tech method: I keep track of the hours I work on a desktop publishing or similar project with time blocks I set on Microsoft Outlook, the same way I would block an hour or two for a 'meeting.'

I like the answer of some of you: keeping track of your time, even though you bill by the word count, to check how efficiently you use your time.

I don't get those of you who are so adamantly opposed to track your time or associate i
... See more
I don't use time tracking software. I use a low-tech method: I keep track of the hours I work on a desktop publishing or similar project with time blocks I set on Microsoft Outlook, the same way I would block an hour or two for a 'meeting.'

I like the answer of some of you: keeping track of your time, even though you bill by the word count, to check how efficiently you use your time.

I don't get those of you who are so adamantly opposed to track your time or associate it with some worst-case office scenario. Get over it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to track your hours.
Collapse

Riccardo Schiaffino
Riccardo Schiaffino  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 19:37
Member (2003)
English to Italian
+ ...
Yes Sep 10, 2015

If you don't track the time spent on various tasks and projects, how can you know how much time you should set aside for similar tasks or projects in the future?

If you do track time, you can discover quite a few interesting things, such as the fact that when you translate the typical projects you receive from customer A, at $0.12/word, you go 30% faster than when you translate the typical projects you receive from customer B, who, however pays you $0.14/word.

If you do
... See more
If you don't track the time spent on various tasks and projects, how can you know how much time you should set aside for similar tasks or projects in the future?

If you do track time, you can discover quite a few interesting things, such as the fact that when you translate the typical projects you receive from customer A, at $0.12/word, you go 30% faster than when you translate the typical projects you receive from customer B, who, however pays you $0.14/word.

If you don't track time, you may think that working for customer B is more profitable, since you charge him a higher rate... but when you do track time, you realize that actually you earn more per hour working for customer A, since you can complete his projects faster, or take on bigger projects from him.

Customer A: 3328 words (@ $0.12/word) = $ 399.36 in 8 hours at 416 words/hour = $ 49.92/hour
Customer B: 2560 words (@ $0.14/word) = $ 358.40 in 8 hours at 320 words/hour = $ 44.80/hour
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:37
Hebrew to English
I think everybody keeps an eye on the clock, but... Sep 10, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

I don't get those of you who are so adamantly opposed to track your time or associate it with some worst-case office scenario. Get over it. Nobody is putting a gun to your head to track your hours.

It's not that I don't have any regard for how efficiently I am using my time, I suppose, like everyone, I do glance at the clock at certain points and subconsciously keep track.

I just draw the line at using special software for it. One of the joys of doing this work (for me) was moving away from logging and accounting for every single second of my day.

I guess I just like having a career where I can be as "unproductive" as I want (obviously not at the expense of not being able to pay my bills, but you get the idea).

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 10:37
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Sep 10, 2015

It's me.

I can choose to pace myself as I wish. If I don't have too much on my plate, I take everything at a very leisurely pace. Or, if I've changed my schedule for business or private reasons, I can rev up the engine and try to pack in more or work longer hours. Of course, I keep a mental note of how much I've done in a day so that I have an empirical idea of how much I can handle in a particular day when similar kind of work comes along. Hey, I've been doing this 30+ years, so I
... See more
It's me.

I can choose to pace myself as I wish. If I don't have too much on my plate, I take everything at a very leisurely pace. Or, if I've changed my schedule for business or private reasons, I can rev up the engine and try to pack in more or work longer hours. Of course, I keep a mental note of how much I've done in a day so that I have an empirical idea of how much I can handle in a particular day when similar kind of work comes along. Hey, I've been doing this 30+ years, so I should have a decent idea by now!

As Ty quite rightly says, "I guess I just like having a career where I can be as "unproductive" as I want" this is one of the benefits or advantages of being self-employed. IMHO
Collapse

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 22:37
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Part of one's efficiency... Sep 10, 2015

Ty Kendall wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:

It's not that I don't have any regard for how efficiently I am using my time, I suppose, like everyone, I do glance at the clock at certain points and subconsciously keep track.

I just draw the line at using special software for it. One of the joys of doing this work (for me) was moving away from logging and accounting for every single second of my day.

I guess I just like having a career where I can be as "unproductive" as I want (obviously not at the expense of not being able to pay my bills, but you get the idea).

... is being able to calculate your efficiency without having to depend on a software, or device, or whatever. Maybe unconsciously, as Kendall says, maybe using practical methods, like Chavez suggests. Bur some people do need an assistant to track their efficiency, or they wouldn't be able to calculate it at all. Personally, I do not need tracking software, accountants, invoicing and billing systems, and time trackers to do all my calculations using 10 minutes per day and spending ZERO dollars. But if you wish to buy and install all these things, as well as to have Whatsapp and 100 apps in your mobile, etc., it's your choice. You should also buy a spreadsheet to calculate how much money and time you waste with all these things, and maybe find out you would do better without them.

[Edited at 2015-09-10 07:50 GMT]

Mark Sanderson
Mark Sanderson  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 02:37
Chinese to English
Please recommend some software? Oct 2, 2015

Hello,

I'd like to start tracking my productivity throughout the day. It'd be nice to know how much time I actually spend translating and running my business instead of doing other things around the house.

Can anyone recommend a Windows based app that I can use. Preferably a free one as this is just for experimental purposes.

Thanks

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you use time tracking software?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »