Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you adjust your schedule to accommodate clients in different time zones?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 09:17
Miembro 2009
francés al inglés
Later, but not earlier Oct 22, 2013

I don't mind working into the night for the occasional client in the Pacific Time Zone or to meet an early morning deadline in Europe, but there is no real point in waking up before my brain has come online. I will check my emails around 3 to 5 am if I wake during the night, but that is a quick couple of clicks on my phone. Most of the time this just gives me a better idea of my schedule for the next day or reassures me that a payment has arrived.

My 2 cents as a night owl working
... See more
I don't mind working into the night for the occasional client in the Pacific Time Zone or to meet an early morning deadline in Europe, but there is no real point in waking up before my brain has come online. I will check my emails around 3 to 5 am if I wake during the night, but that is a quick couple of clicks on my phone. Most of the time this just gives me a better idea of my schedule for the next day or reassures me that a payment has arrived.

My 2 cents as a night owl working in the Eastern Time Zone with a mix of U.S. and European clients.
Collapse

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canadá
Local time: 07:17
neerlandés al inglés
+ ...
Up to the client Oct 22, 2013

If a client approaches me via proz.com, which is often the case, they should check my time zone before contacting me and accept that communication is going to be slow and that they may have to change their deadline.

Sara Maria Hasbun
Sara Maria Hasbun  Identity Verified
Hong Kong
Local time: 21:17
español al inglés
+ ...
Asia timezone blues Oct 22, 2013

Yes, since I am currently based in South Korea but most of my work comes from Europe and the US, these days I get up very early to respond to EST e-mails before New York calls it a night, then catch a few hours of downtime (or ideally a nap, but that rarely happens!) before Europe wakes up and needs attention. I then stay up late to catch the beginning of the EST workday. So far I'm enjoying the challenge of juggling the timezones but will eventually be happy to have a more standard schedule!... See more
Yes, since I am currently based in South Korea but most of my work comes from Europe and the US, these days I get up very early to respond to EST e-mails before New York calls it a night, then catch a few hours of downtime (or ideally a nap, but that rarely happens!) before Europe wakes up and needs attention. I then stay up late to catch the beginning of the EST workday. So far I'm enjoying the challenge of juggling the timezones but will eventually be happy to have a more standard schedule!

[Edited at 2013-10-22 15:39 GMT]
Collapse

Ty Kendall
Ty Kendall  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 14:17
hebreo al inglés
No Oct 22, 2013

The few American clients I have know that they can probably catch me in the hour or two before I go to bed but that I will be incommunicado for the next 7-8 hours after that.

Doesn't seem to affect me, or them, adversely. We get along just fine.

The rest of my clients are all within a reasonable time zone to mine.

[Edited at 2013-10-22 17:08 GMT]

Marlene Blanshay
Marlene Blanshay  Identity Verified
Canadá
Miembro 2009
francés al inglés
+ ...
occasionally Oct 22, 2013

but generally, i only accept contracts from clients in Euro or UK if the deadline is reasonable. I don't get up at 6 so I can do a same-day job for noon (my time).

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
alemán al inglés
No, not at all Oct 22, 2013

I'm sure my German clients have sufficient intelligence to realise that I start work an hour later than they do!

Steve K.

Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Sharon Toh, MITI MCIL
Singapur
Local time: 21:17
Miembro 2009
chino al inglés
+ ...
Yup Oct 22, 2013

smhasbun wrote:

Yes, since I am currently based in South Korea but most of my work comes from Europe and the US, these days I get up very early to respond to EST e-mails before New York calls it a night, then catch a few hours of downtime (or ideally a nap, but that rarely happens!) before Europe wakes up and needs attention. I then stay up late to catch the beginning of the EST workday. So far I'm enjoying the challenge of juggling the timezones but will eventually be happy to have a more standard schedule!

I am just one hour behind you, and my situation is more or less similar to yours.

Rebecca Garber
Rebecca Garber  Identity Verified
Miembro 2005
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Occassionally Oct 22, 2013

I ensure that I am up early enough for direct email contact with my clients in earlier time zones.
Usually, we actually make the timelag work for us, in that together we can deliver short projects in less than 24 hours.
Otherwise, I assume that my clients are intelligent enough to read my location (Detroit), and work out that the city is not on European time.
I did spend several weeks working out of Los Angeles a few years ago, which was when I adapted to be up early enough fo
... See more
I ensure that I am up early enough for direct email contact with my clients in earlier time zones.
Usually, we actually make the timelag work for us, in that together we can deliver short projects in less than 24 hours.
Otherwise, I assume that my clients are intelligent enough to read my location (Detroit), and work out that the city is not on European time.
I did spend several weeks working out of Los Angeles a few years ago, which was when I adapted to be up early enough for Europe. Otherwise, I would rather work at night than early in the morning.
Collapse

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japón
Local time: 22:17
Miembro 2011
japonés al inglés
Not at all Oct 23, 2013

Since all of my customers are based in Japan

Steve Kerry wrote:

I'm sure my German clients have sufficient intelligence to realise that I start work an hour later than they do!

Steve K.

I would love to say the same about my Japanese customers -- however, intelligence really doesn't come into play on Friday afternoons. The Japanese are notorious for the bane of all translators -- "late Friday afternoon order to be delivered by first thing Monday morning" projects. AND, with no extra weekend or rush rates.

I even got an "inquiry" (read "agressive order") at 9:30 pm one Friday night asking me to do some small tasks for delivery by 9 am Monday morning. Of course, the PM has made a hasty exit from the office immediately after sending me the e-mail and no-one is in their office over the weekend.
That's one order destined for the rubbish bin.

Judging from their complete lack of perception of "time," maybe they are all secretly based in Hawaii sipping Mai Tais?

Julian H.

Ventnai
Ventnai  Identity Verified
España
Local time: 15:17
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Only when ... Oct 23, 2013

Only when I myself am outside my usual time zone, CET, and even then only slightly.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
español al inglés
+ ...
different time difference blues Oct 23, 2013

Years ago, before email was a thing, the internet was still a twinkle in someone's eye, and jobs were faxed or sent directly modem to modem, I was woken by a phone call from the UN at 7 am and couldn't get my French brain into gear to speak coherently. He rang again later to apologise for not realising there was (at the time) a two-hour difference between Geneva and the UK. Now, emails, smartphones etc. may intrude on our out-of-work hours, but they are a lot easier to deal with (or ignore) than... See more
Years ago, before email was a thing, the internet was still a twinkle in someone's eye, and jobs were faxed or sent directly modem to modem, I was woken by a phone call from the UN at 7 am and couldn't get my French brain into gear to speak coherently. He rang again later to apologise for not realising there was (at the time) a two-hour difference between Geneva and the UK. Now, emails, smartphones etc. may intrude on our out-of-work hours, but they are a lot easier to deal with (or ignore) than phone calls.Collapse

Robert Dunn
Robert Dunn  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2013
alemán al inglés
+ ...
For the most part, no Nov 14, 2013

I generally let my clients know that I am in the US Eastern Time Zone and if I do not respond to them quickly then I am either sleeping or busy doing something else, although I have gotten a few calls from translation agencies in Europe at 7 a.m. Eastern Time when I was still on cloud 9.

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you adjust your schedule to accommodate clients in different time zones?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »