Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: In what language(s) do you talk to your pet(s)?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Romina Pérez Escorihuela
Romina Pérez Escorihuela  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:21
Miembro 2010
inglés al español
+ ...
Portuguese and Spanish Jun 30, 2011

Oh, how I liked this poll!!

I LOVE my pets!!! I have two poodles: Lola (she's almost 6) and Naruto (just 1 year old)...

Spanish is my mother tongue, but I am so passionate for Portuguese that my babies are spoken to in this sweet language... all the time... specially while hugging, kissing, playing with them and when it comes to walking them. I just say "Vamos dar um passeio?" and they go right away to take the leash! Instead, if I say "¿vamos a pasear?" they look at m
... See more
Oh, how I liked this poll!!

I LOVE my pets!!! I have two poodles: Lola (she's almost 6) and Naruto (just 1 year old)...

Spanish is my mother tongue, but I am so passionate for Portuguese that my babies are spoken to in this sweet language... all the time... specially while hugging, kissing, playing with them and when it comes to walking them. I just say "Vamos dar um passeio?" and they go right away to take the leash! Instead, if I say "¿vamos a pasear?" they look at me like trying to understand what I am saying... words are very similar, but the intonation sounds really different...

But, when it comes to educating or scolding them, I use Spanish and they do understand me...

I guess I will do the same with my children, the day I become a mother...

GREAT TOPIC!!!!
=)

[Edited at 2011-06-30 19:43 GMT]
Collapse

Mark Hamlen
Mark Hamlen  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 21:21
francés al inglés
+ ...
The dog's native language Jun 30, 2011

Wasn't it a Georgian nobleman who said "I speak Georgian to my lover and Russian to my dog."

When I lived in Russia I adopted a homeless dog who'd obviously lost a good home. He understood everything in Russian and not a word of English. So I just continued that way with him.

He came to France with me and passersby often looked twice as I was talking to my dog in Russian. When he died I adopted a homeless French dog who also only really understood her native languag
... See more
Wasn't it a Georgian nobleman who said "I speak Georgian to my lover and Russian to my dog."

When I lived in Russia I adopted a homeless dog who'd obviously lost a good home. He understood everything in Russian and not a word of English. So I just continued that way with him.

He came to France with me and passersby often looked twice as I was talking to my dog in Russian. When he died I adopted a homeless French dog who also only really understood her native language. So I got used to speaking French to the dog.

Then, sadly, she died and I finally took a puppy and this poor soul is learning a mixture of my native English when I'm cross, Russian terms of endearment and French commands.
Collapse

Laura Nagle (X)
Laura Nagle (X)  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 15:21
francés al inglés
+ ...
None now, but... Jun 30, 2011

When I was in college, I took Russian for a couple of years. I discovered that my grandmother's antisocial cat, Sasha, was willing to come out from under the bed if offered compliments in Russian!

In both -- English and Japanese Jun 30, 2011

My dog is bordercollie, the smartest of the all breed (I know, I know, you want to object, but go Google. You'll find this cold reality).

According to recent study, this breed of dog can understand thousands of words. But in what language, the study didn't say. I guess any language their ownder speaks, monolingual or otherwise.

Parrot
Parrot  Identity Verified
España
español al inglés
+ ...
The translator? Jun 30, 2011

I can talk to her in any language

ikeda45
ikeda45  Identity Verified
Local time: 04:21
Miembro 2007
inglés al japonés
my native language Jul 1, 2011

My 9 year-old parrot speaks Japanese and sometimes invent new Japanese words.

Nicole Schnell
Nicole Schnell  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 12:21
inglés al alemán
+ ...
In Memoriam
What a nice poll! Jul 1, 2011

My cat insists on English which is my second language.

Here is a video of a cat that is truly bilingual. She speaks "Dog"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUxvaM4RX3g

Anne-Carine Zimmer
Anne-Carine Zimmer  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2004
alemán al inglés
+ ...
English, of course.... Jul 1, 2011

After all, he (my cat) is a native Californian

Of course, he will understand me in 5 languages --- if he pleases to

Karin

[Edited at 2011-07-01 06:02 GMT]

[Edited at 2011-07-01 06:05 GMT]

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Alemania
Miembro 2009
inglés al alemán
+ ...
"Speaking Dog" Jul 1, 2011

Nicole Schnell wrote:

My cat insists on English which is my second language.

Here is a video of a cat that is truly bilingual. She speaks "Dog"!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUxvaM4RX3g

Thank you, Nicole, for the link to this cute video of the bilingual cat. A nice way to start the day with a

Patricia Charnet
Patricia Charnet
Reino Unido
Local time: 20:21
Miembro 2009
inglés al francés
both Native and Usual Jul 1, 2011

Filou is bilingual although French may be her true native language - just by a thread

That's lovely because she understands my mother when she visits and get all the French commands, and when she visits the vet or stays at the cattery's, she gets the message across with the local vet (in English) or the cattery ladies...
See more
Filou is bilingual although French may be her true native language - just by a thread

That's lovely because she understands my mother when she visits and get all the French commands, and when she visits the vet or stays at the cattery's, she gets the message across with the local vet (in English) or the cattery ladies (in English)

A truly bilingual pussycat, and she's cute too

[Edited at 2011-07-01 07:42 GMT]
Collapse

Setvan2734
Setvan2734
Local time: 14:21
Spanish Jul 2, 2011

We speak Spanish to our dogs!

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: In what language(s) do you talk to your pet(s)?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »