Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3] >
Poll: Have you ever done voluntary work for a non-profit organization or charitable cause?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Cristina Heraud-van Tol
Cristina Heraud-van Tol  Identity Verified
Perú
Local time: 16:40
Miembro 2005
inglés al español
+ ...
Yes Mar 12, 2010

For the Spanish version of the website of the Lady of All Nations, and for the Catholic Encyclopaedia.

jacana54 (X)
jacana54 (X)  Identity Verified
Uruguay
inglés al español
+ ...
Different kinds of work Mar 12, 2010

While I worked as a lawyer, I organized a team for providing assistance in a very deprived neighbourhood: we helped people to get basic documents and sort out their family-related problems.

After I turned to translation on a full-time basis I have, at different moments, done pro bono work for Partners in Health, Stop the Traffik (as part of a great team, with an excellent leader) and, recently, Cáritas Uruguaya. I got very involved with those projects because the topics are very c
... See more
While I worked as a lawyer, I organized a team for providing assistance in a very deprived neighbourhood: we helped people to get basic documents and sort out their family-related problems.

After I turned to translation on a full-time basis I have, at different moments, done pro bono work for Partners in Health, Stop the Traffik (as part of a great team, with an excellent leader) and, recently, Cáritas Uruguaya. I got very involved with those projects because the topics are very close to my interests... and I'm sure they were as good for me —in a different way— as all the other (paying) jobs which often get jumbled up in my (personal!) memory.

I look forward to Attila's webinar because I'm sure we can learn a lot from that team's experience. TIA.

Collapse

Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães
Filippe Vasconcellos de Freitas Guimarães  Identity Verified
Brasil
Local time: 18:40
portugués al inglés
+ ...
Yes Mar 12, 2010

If Wikipedia counts... I've been an editor and administrator there for four years, and I love it.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Dinamarca
Local time: 23:40
Miembro 2003
danés al inglés
+ ...
Glass Museum Mar 12, 2010

Most of the translation work I have done for free has been for the international glass museum in Ebeltoft and a friend and glass artist who ran a magazine on a shoestring.

The museum is a non-profit organisation and although it has a small paid staff, it depends a great deal on volunteers and private sponsors.
In recent years I have not had time to help out in the shop or in other practical ways, but I was able to help with translation.

It does not buy work for i
... See more
Most of the translation work I have done for free has been for the international glass museum in Ebeltoft and a friend and glass artist who ran a magazine on a shoestring.

The museum is a non-profit organisation and although it has a small paid staff, it depends a great deal on volunteers and private sponsors.
In recent years I have not had time to help out in the shop or in other practical ways, but I was able to help with translation.

It does not buy work for its collection, but it provides a platform for artists to exhibit, and through its exhibitions and activities they can meet and work with each other. Selected artists are invited to donate or deposit work, and there is a large collection of beautiful items from early studio glass to the latest modern art glass from all over the world.

Catalogues I have collected include some beautiful pictures of East German and Russian glass that was shown in exhibitions before the Iron Curtain fell. This was ´before my time´, but it helped open links to the West. A few lovely pieces were donated to the museum's permanent collection, and can still be seen when space permits.

The museum does a lot for international understanding and cultural exchanges, and although it may not be quite as vital as some of the humanitarian organisations, it does address the issue of ´Man does not live by bread alone´.

With my language combination it is easier to earn the money I can and give that to many charitable organisations than to work for them directly.
Collapse

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 22:40
Miembro 2007
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Yes! Mar 12, 2010

French-Portuguese for Médecins du Monde!

Teresa Borges

Yaotl Altan
Yaotl Altan  Identity Verified
México
Local time: 15:40
Miembro 2006
inglés al español
+ ...
Right Mar 12, 2010

Anne-Sophie Cardinal wrote:

I always say that if one can't donate its MONEY, they can at least spare a bit of their TIME for a good cause, no matter the cause they choose.

Right, this makes a difference everytime a professional, in this case translators, share their time to give voice to the voiceless.

As for me, I translate for Tlaxcala.

[Edited at 2010-03-12 14:42 GMT]

Jennifer Taylor
Jennifer Taylor  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
checo al inglés
+ ...
Animal rights and bands Mar 12, 2010

I translate for Czech friends involved with animal rights groups and vegetarian/vegan causes.

I also volunteered to translate some music reviews that friends wrote for magazines and websites for a while. It didn't last long as I can't stand reading things like that in English, never mind badly written Czech!

Still, it was good practice for me before I started working as a professional translator.

Coralia Polanco
Coralia Polanco  Identity Verified
Puerto Rico
Local time: 17:40
español al inglés
+ ...
voluntary work Mar 12, 2010

I did voluntary work in Boston Saturday's, Sunday 's lunch. I worked on Sundays serving lunch for the homeless. It made me appreciate more all the bounty I had been given. It was also during the hight of the child abuse scandal that broke out in Boston. I felt I didn't know who I coud trust in the clergy , so I substituted going to church with serving a hot meal to the homeless. I was an eye opening experience on the great difficulties they face, specially when it snows.

Hristina Dojčinova
Hristina Dojčinova  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 17:40
inglés al macedonio
+ ...
Yes - Red Cross and youth organizations Mar 12, 2010

I have provided voluntary translations for the Red Cross.

Also, being interested in European Affairs, I voluntarily translated an entire book on European Federalism for the Young European Federalists (JEF-Europe) youth organization - posted here http://www.federaleurope.org/fileadmin/files_uef/neculai_study/BookMacedonian.pdf

Alessandra Martelli (X)
Alessandra Martelli (X)  Identity Verified
Italia
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Yes - Sermig Mar 12, 2010

I provide voluntary translations for Sermig (http://www.sermig.org), an Italian NGO (with branches in Brazil and Jordan) dealing with poverty and development issues in over fifty countries.

Mafalda d'Orey de Faria
Mafalda d'Orey de Faria  Identity Verified
Portugal
inglés al portugués
+ ...
Yes Mar 12, 2010

Translators without borders,
a catechism for a local parish,
internal texts for Equipes de Notre Dame
a Women Defense Organization

Miho Ohashi
Miho Ohashi  Identity Verified
Japón
Miembro 2008
inglés al japonés
+ ...
Yes Mar 12, 2010

I have done pro bono translations for FOSTER PLAN and MEDECINES SANS FRONTIERES.

I currently teach English with my husband to a family of Iraqi refugees through an organization called INTERNATIONAL RESCUE COMMITTEE.

Ekaterina Filatova
Ekaterina Filatova  Identity Verified
Países Bajos
Miembro 2007
inglés al ruso
+ ...
yes Mar 12, 2010

Russian to English, www.advita.ru - charity fund for children with cancer

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 15:40
inglés al español
+ ...
In Memoriam
Holocaust Museum Mar 12, 2010

One that comes to mind is having translated the entire presentation used by docents in Spanish at the local Holocaust Museum. Largely it is used with visitors from Mexico, many of whom arrive with little awareness of this sad chapter in history.

Daniel Gebauer
Daniel Gebauer  Identity Verified
España
Miembro
español al alemán
+ ...
Yes Mar 12, 2010

I've volunteered 12 years for the German Red Cross.

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Have you ever done voluntary work for a non-profit organization or charitable cause?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »