Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]
Poll: When I find a difficult term to translate, I first...
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Alessandra Martelli (X)
Alessandra Martelli (X)  Identity Verified
Italia
Local time: 01:26
inglés al italiano
+ ...
Paper dictionaries Jun 17, 2009

I can understand this might look out of fashion (at least, I can try to undertand) , but I first look up at my paper dictionaries (both general and field dictionaries, monolingual or bilingual) AND at my personal paper glossaries.

Paper glossaries are basically address books filled with terms sorted by alphabetical order and related translation with notes on subject field, weird plural form and so.
My English teacher taught us to do this glossary thing when I was 12 and I sti
... See more
I can understand this might look out of fashion (at least, I can try to undertand) , but I first look up at my paper dictionaries (both general and field dictionaries, monolingual or bilingual) AND at my personal paper glossaries.

Paper glossaries are basically address books filled with terms sorted by alphabetical order and related translation with notes on subject field, weird plural form and so.
My English teacher taught us to do this glossary thing when I was 12 and I still do it that way, it works better than a TM or Multiterm to me.
Collapse

Phillippa May Bennett
Phillippa May Bennett
Portugal
Local time: 00:26
portugués al inglés
A combination of above... but... paper dicitonary comes first... Jun 17, 2009

My first port of call is normally one of my paper dictionaries...especially my Houaiss (monolingual Portuguese).. failing that I move to other possibilities, internet searches, article searches, proz searches, my own vocab lists etc, or even walking dictionaries (in the form of Brazilian friends!!!!).

Viktoria Gimbe
Viktoria Gimbe  Identity Verified
Canadá
Local time: 19:26
inglés al francés
+ ...
The author is out there somewhere... Jun 17, 2009

Laureana Pavon wrote:

However, most if not all of my clients (end clients, not agencies) have no knowledge whatsoever of the source language, so asking them for clarification is completely out of the question.

Except for some literary works, even direct clients are in touch with the author in most cases. The requests for clarification don't necessarily have to be answered by the person you address them to. In my case, I send it to my client, who often sends it to his/her client, who is then unable to answer all of the questions and so sends it to a colleague. Often, my questions are seen by five different people and travel a few thousand kilometers before I get answers to them.

As for agencies, if it is impossible for them to forward the questions because there are too many middlemen, well - I steer clear of them.

If I have to translate a sentence I do not fully understand, there is no way I will guarantee the accuracy of my translation. On the other hand, I refuse to sell inaccurate translations, whether I am liable for the accuracy or not. So, what is out of the question for me is to play a guessing game.

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2 3]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: When I find a difficult term to translate, I first...

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »