Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you have to send payment reminders to most of your clients?
Autor de la hebra: ProZ.com Staff
Rocio Barrientos
Rocio Barrientos  Identity Verified
Bolivia
Local time: 19:18
Miembro
inglés al español
+ ...
I agree... Mar 3, 2009

andres-larsen wrote:

I custom tailor my receivables to my customers in line with their cash flow

Nevertheless, cash flows are not as predictable as before...

I find that the payment "chains" are moving slower than before:

Customer is late because his customers are late, and the customer's clients, in turn, are late because their clients are late, and those are late because their sales dropped, and the sales dropped because there is no cash on the economy and there is no cash on the economy due to... (Fill in the blanks) ... etc etc...

I do agree that we have to talk things over with our clients; we have to come to win-win agreements, if it is possible. We are all on the same boat...

I strongly believe that we need to ride the downturn wave; I had an economics professor that told our class once, if the economy is going up "sell cakes" if the economy is going down "sell bread".

In our case, I believe we need to find niches; I joked with some Spanish finance translators that since our area is finance, we should all become "quiebratólogos" ("Bankruptologists"); but jokes aside, I do believe that within our skills we have to adapt, adaptation is the name of the game nowadays; as Charles Darwin said, “species that adapt survive.” And last, but not least, we have to always look to the future with a positive mind, every situation or problem it is an opportunity for change, for improvement, etc.

Warm greetings,

Rocío

Laureana Pavon
Laureana Pavon  Identity Verified
Uruguay
Local time: 20:18
Miembro 2007
inglés al español
+ ...

MODERADOR
I don't understand this either Mar 3, 2009

neilmac wrote:

andres-larsen wrote:

I custom tailor my receivables to my customers in line with their cash flow

Can you explain what do you mean, in plain English please? I'm not being ironic, I really don't understand.

Perhaps I'm missing something, but I don't understand this either.

Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
Valeria Lagos Gordon Downie
España
Local time: 01:18
español al inglés
+ ...
I think Mar 4, 2009

Andrés means that he delivers his work bit by bit, as he gets paid.

Personally, I have not had any problems so far, never. But then I deal mostly (95%) with large agencies. Maybe smaller companies are having more trouble. I keep my fingers crossed though, this crisis won't be temporary.

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
inglés al francés
+ ...
Same here Mar 4, 2009

Steven Capsuto wrote:

If late payment becomes a habit, I drop the client.

[Edited at 2009-03-03 15:47 GMT]

In 20 years, most of my customers received ONE reminder. Overlooking an invoice can happen to any one.
The ones who received more than one are no longer customers, after a lawsuit for 2 of them!

Cecilia Civetta
Cecilia Civetta  Identity Verified
Italia
Miembro 2003
italiano al español
+ ...
Ditto Mar 4, 2009

Almost all of my clients pay promptly.

If late payment becomes a habit, I drop the client.

Late payments drive me mad, because I hate to waste my time and get stressed "chasing" late payers.
I can be patient if it happens once in a while, but when payments are systematically late and I have to remind them all the time, I just drop them!

[Edited at 2009-03-04 10:51 GMT]

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Local time: 00:18
flamenco al inglés
+ ...
Standard practise Mar 4, 2009

Isn't late payment standard practise in the translation industry? The translation on time, but payment always late!

John Rawlins
John Rawlins  Identity Verified
España
español al inglés
+ ...
URGENT WORK = LATE PAYMENT Mar 4, 2009

Williamson has hit on something here.

Among my clients, the slowest payers (invariably agencies) tend to insist on the tightest deadlines.

I had never thought clearly about this before, but I now realise that:

URGENT WORK = LATE PAYMENT

Is this true for other translators as well?

Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
Miembro
inglés al francés
+ ...
balance between delivery and payment Mar 4, 2009

Usually I get no major deception, I allow a tolerance margin, as long as I get paid within one week of the agreed deadline. I can understand companies'pressure but I m dealing with my side of the fence which is > I deliver the translation within deadlines = You pay me within deadlines (in my case within a month of invoicing.)
There is also a funny way that some agencies take it in charge to tell YOU when they want to pay. I always have to more or less subtly remind them that I am the perso
... See more
Usually I get no major deception, I allow a tolerance margin, as long as I get paid within one week of the agreed deadline. I can understand companies'pressure but I m dealing with my side of the fence which is > I deliver the translation within deadlines = You pay me within deadlines (in my case within a month of invoicing.)
There is also a funny way that some agencies take it in charge to tell YOU when they want to pay. I always have to more or less subtly remind them that I am the person in charge of invoicing. If they really want to take charge nevertheless and the business is good and serious, I let them have their way..!

[Edited at 2009-03-04 11:17 GMT]
Collapse

Interlangue (X)
Interlangue (X)
Angola
inglés al francés
+ ...
Not in my world... Mar 4, 2009

Williamson wrote:

Isn't late payment standard practise in the translation industry? The translation on time, but payment always late!

Except for an odd case, now and then, I may rely on it that payments are on my account 60 days after the date of the montly invoice.

Gina W
Gina W
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2003
francés al inglés
Some (small) businesses do this to hang onto their money longer Mar 4, 2009

Viktoria Gimbe wrote:

As for why people function this way, I can only wonder...

Certain businesses, especially small businesses, intentionally pay slightly late so that they can hang onto their money longer - the longer the funds are theirs, the more interest they can make on the money. Since many small businesses do fail and many others struggle to make a profit, apparently they consider this doing what they can to keep a profit. (Note: not saying that I agree with this, btw.)

Gina W
Gina W
Estados Unidos
Miembro 2003
francés al inglés
No, most of my clients pay with no reminders Mar 4, 2009

Most clients/agencies are on the up-and-up, and do care about paying on time as they want to keep their translators happy and willing to work for them again.

Sometimes there can be an oversight or a mix-up, whatever, and a good client may need a reminder.

Those who need more than one reminder and/or the actual bad payers are, thankfully, in the minority.

Williamson
Williamson  Identity Verified
Reino Unido
flamenco al inglés
+ ...
A Brussels streetcar called Adverbium Mar 7, 2009

Interlangue wrote:

Williamson wrote:

Except for an odd case, now and then, I may rely on it that payments are on my account 60 days after the date of the montly invoice.

Try to do the same with Electrabel and Belgacom and see what happens
How much is the price of a reminder nowadays : 7 euros ? At this rate, I'll be happy to write reminders.

I know that, despite EU235/2000/EG being coverted into Belgian law, Belgian agencies usually pay after 45-60 days.
That is why in 2007 they could afford to have an entire Brussels streetcar repainted with their name on it, but if you look at their BB-record : (:.

[Edited at 2009-03-07 14:15 GMT]

Páginas sobre el tema:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderador(es) de este foro
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you have to send payment reminders to most of your clients?

Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »