T6.5 Dongle : using a USB/Parallel adapter?
Autor de la hebra: Mathilde DOMENGET
Mathilde DOMENGET
Mathilde DOMENGET  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 10:41
inglés al francés
Aug 23, 2006

Hi
I'm using Trados 6.5 with a Parallel dongle. I will now switch to a brand new laptop, with no parallel port and wonder if using a USB/Parallel adapter would be feasible.
SDL say some customers tried it but it didn't work properly - only option being updating to SDL/Trados 2006.
Has anyone had the problem?
Many thanks

Kevin Fulton
Kevin Fulton  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 04:41
alemán al inglés
USB dongle works on my laptop Aug 23, 2006

I have Trados 6.5.x.441 on a 4-year old Dell laptop and it works fine. It even works on an external USB hub plugged into the laptop.

Mathilde DOMENGET
Mathilde DOMENGET  Identity Verified
Francia
Local time: 10:41
inglés al francés
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Workaround Sep 12, 2006

I found a workaround (thanks to Skatrine, which had a similar issue with SDLX).
A Parallel/USB printer adapter won't work but using a PCMCIA or CardBus card will do the trick.
Such a card will create a SPP/ECP/EPP parallel port on the laptop.
The dongle was not recognised right away though, I had to update the dongle driver from S
... See more
I found a workaround (thanks to Skatrine, which had a similar issue with SDLX).
A Parallel/USB printer adapter won't work but using a PCMCIA or CardBus card will do the trick.
Such a card will create a SPP/ECP/EPP parallel port on the laptop.
The dongle was not recognised right away though, I had to update the dongle driver from SafeNet (http://www.safenet-inc.com/support/tech/sentinel.asp). The dongle type is Sentinel Superpro.
Before installing this download, make sure to uninstall the existing driver. To do so, browse to C:\Program Files\Rainbow Technologies\Sentinel System Driver and double-click on SetupSysDriver.exe. Then select Add/Repair/Remove Installation and remove the driver.
Once the latest driver is installed, the dongle should be recognised.

[Edited at 2006-09-12 10:46]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

T6.5 Dongle : using a USB/Parallel adapter?

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »