Kaarel Kõivupuu
Kaarel Kõivupuu
Estonia
Local time: 22:40
inglés al estonio
+ ...
Jul 30, 2016

Hello,

first of all, apologies if the question has been already asked in the forum and I missed it.

When I purchased Trados Studio 2015 (freelancer version) I got two licenses, meaning I have Trados on my desktop computer and laptop. Now it is easy to use Dropbox to share my projects between these and just to switch at a random timepoint between the two computers. However, this isn't really working when I have to do revisions ("Open for review") where segments marked as
... See more
Hello,

first of all, apologies if the question has been already asked in the forum and I missed it.

When I purchased Trados Studio 2015 (freelancer version) I got two licenses, meaning I have Trados on my desktop computer and laptop. Now it is easy to use Dropbox to share my projects between these and just to switch at a random timepoint between the two computers. However, this isn't really working when I have to do revisions ("Open for review") where segments marked as "Translation approved" just won't appear. Is there something simple I am missing? I'd do appreciate even a very tedious solution.
Collapse

Walter Blaser
Walter Blaser  Identity Verified
Suiza
Local time: 21:40
francés al alemán
+ ...
Studio has not been designed for such scenarios Aug 1, 2016

Karel

If I understand you well, you stored your project folder on DropBox and work on this project once from PC A and once from PC B.

If this is correct, then such a setup is prone to cause problems because Studio does not lock the files for PC B while you work on PC A (there is no "Checkout" and "Checkin" mechanism as there is in GroupShare). This does not cause a problem as long as you don't work from both places at the same time. But there is another problem: the pro
... See more
Karel

If I understand you well, you stored your project folder on DropBox and work on this project once from PC A and once from PC B.

If this is correct, then such a setup is prone to cause problems because Studio does not lock the files for PC B while you work on PC A (there is no "Checkout" and "Checkin" mechanism as there is in GroupShare). This does not cause a problem as long as you don't work from both places at the same time. But there is another problem: the projects.xml file, which reflects the changes made to your project, is not synchronized in real-time with both copies of Studio. This means that when you switch from PC a to PC B, you may get problems because PC B has not been updated to know about the changes made on PC A.

You may try to get around this by reopening the project whenever you switch PCs. This will reload the projects.xml file and might give better results. Be aware however that his kind of setup is officially not supported by SDL.

Walter
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Working with a review project on two computers in parallel, Studio 2015

CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »
Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »