Autor de la hebra: Frank Leon
Frank Leon
Frank Leon
Estados Unidos
Local time: 14:22
inglés al español
+ ...
Jan 8, 2016

I've been translating for over 3 years now however I am new to the professional translation service industry.

Here is my question: If I receive a translation project with 245 words and my translation ends up with 253 words, what will be my rate? Would I charge my client for 245 words or do I charge for the amount of words the translation required? In this case, 253.

Thank you all!

Michael Wetzel
Michael Wetzel  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 23:22
alemán al inglés
write "per source word" or "per target word" Jan 8, 2016

I had always assumed that words "per source word" was the absolute norm, but there was a poll here recently and a significant amount of people seem to charge per target word. You need to specify what you mean by "word" in your offer and check the definition in the purchase order.

I charge per source word, although my fee would look lower (that is, the number would be smaller) if I were to convert it into a fee per target word. I prefer to use the source text, because it makes estima
... See more
I had always assumed that words "per source word" was the absolute norm, but there was a poll here recently and a significant amount of people seem to charge per target word. You need to specify what you mean by "word" in your offer and check the definition in the purchase order.

I charge per source word, although my fee would look lower (that is, the number would be smaller) if I were to convert it into a fee per target word. I prefer to use the source text, because it makes estimates unnecessary and prevents the unpleasant surprises they can lead to.
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Word-for-word Rates: SL or TL charging policy

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
Pastey
Your smart companion app

Pastey is an innovative desktop application that bridges the gap between human expertise and artificial intelligence. With intuitive keyboard shortcuts, Pastey transforms your source text into AI-powered draft translations.

Find out more »