What to do when some colleagues do not act justly?
Autor de la hebra: Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 03:17
Miembro 2006
inglés al bengalí
+ ...
Feb 5, 2007

Although there are very few Kudo questions asked in my pairs (EnglishBengali) compared to other major language pairs, I am very enthusiastic about it.

Some weeks ago, I answered to a question and later found that another translator of my pairs gave the same answer in Bengali script (mine was in English script) as a separate answer without acknowledging that his answer was simply the Bengali script of the my answer. Worst is that another 'wise' translator agreed with it! I felt anno
... See more
Although there are very few Kudo questions asked in my pairs (EnglishBengali) compared to other major language pairs, I am very enthusiastic about it.

Some weeks ago, I answered to a question and later found that another translator of my pairs gave the same answer in Bengali script (mine was in English script) as a separate answer without acknowledging that his answer was simply the Bengali script of the my answer. Worst is that another 'wise' translator agreed with it! I felt annoyed and wanted to disagree or call moderators, but did not only to avoid 'conflict' between translators.

The other day, I discovered a (first-ever) 'disagreement' to my answer by a translator saying that I do not know the meaning of 'afternoon' (That was a part of a long Kudo question) in Bengali! I replied to that person with a reference of Oxford Dictionary that the meaning intended there is not the meaning he studied in the 'nursery school', and politely asked to withdraw disagreement, and some of my fellow translators backed me. However, that person did not withdraw his opinion.

Finally some days ago, I replied to a Kudo question (5-word question) in TWO of minutes of asking while another fellow translator gave almost the same answer in FOUR minutes. The difference was just in one word that was synonym and both words are commonly and widely used. I saw in other pairs that in such case the first answerer disagreed with the second answer saying that he gave the answer first. However, I saw that another translator agreed with the second answer instantly and after some time another translator agreed with both of us, and finally the second answer got the Kudo points automatically as it was non-pro.

In these cases, I just watched the situation silently without any action. Is there anything that I could have done? Or everything goes right and I am overreacting? Do things like these happen in your pairs? What do you think?

[Subject edited by staff or moderator 2007-02-05 15:28]
Collapse

Marie-Hélène Hayles
Marie-Hélène Hayles  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:17
italiano al inglés
+ ...
It happens in all language pairs Feb 5, 2007

In the first case, I'd agree that the other answerer should have acknowledged that he was just giving the Bengali text version of your answer. I wouldn't say that the other user was wrong to agree with it, though.

In the second case, if you're right and others have backed you up, the translator in question is only displaying his/her own ignorance - so is doing more harm to him/herself than to you.

In the third case, you should bear in mind that
a) you should nev
... See more
In the first case, I'd agree that the other answerer should have acknowledged that he was just giving the Bengali text version of your answer. I wouldn't say that the other user was wrong to agree with it, though.

In the second case, if you're right and others have backed you up, the translator in question is only displaying his/her own ignorance - so is doing more harm to him/herself than to you.

In the third case, you should bear in mind that
a) you should never disagree with an answer just because you answered first (so other people you have seen doing so were in the wrong);
b) the person giving the second answer may have been preparing it while you were giving your answer - and so may not have seen your answer beforehand. This is very common in Kudoz. In this situation, it's considered polite for the second answerer to agree with the first (perhaps with a comment like "you were quicker than me!"), but it's not obligatory.

I think you were right not to call the moderators, these are pretty minor transgressions (if they can even be considered as transgressions). I don't think you're over-reacting in feeling "hard done by" but I think as you gain more experience in how the system works, you'll start to see these things in a more detached light. Have a look at some of the more common language pairs to see how often major disagreements arise among answerers!

And don't get discouraged - if you enjoy Kudoz, keep answering.

Marie-Helene

[Edited at 2007-02-05 15:26]

[Edited at 2007-02-05 15:29]
Collapse

Charlie Bavington
Charlie Bavington  Identity Verified
Local time: 08:17
francés al inglés
Two minutes difference = simultaneous Feb 5, 2007

Lubain Masum wrote:

Finally some days ago, I replied to a Kudo question (5-word question) in TWO of minutes of asking while another fellow translator gave almost the same answer in FOUR minutes.

Given that:
a) timing is not to the nearest second, so 2 minutes could mean just over 90 seconds
b) users' connection speeds are different
c) it can easily take a couple of minutes to compose a decent answer, but the time posted is that when the reply reaches Proz, not when the answerer hits "answer" button
...it seems highly probable to me that your answer was not visible to the answerer when he/she answered.

I saw in other pairs that in such case the first answerer disagreed with the second answer saying that he gave the answer first.

I've rarely seen that happen, especially for differences of 2 minutes. I *have* seen a neutral posted when the time difference is such that it seems highly likely that the second answerer *should* have seen the first answer (but may not have done).

Frankly, I think you are over-reacting

georgina singh
georgina singh  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 12:47
tamil al inglés
+ ...
You are quite right!!!! Feb 5, 2007

Hi Lubain,

I understand how you feel about this, but the thing is it happens in all language pairs.

I too love Kudos and have faced the same problem a couple of times. But the thing is to take it in your stride and not take it to heart.

It is frustrating though but my advise would be - just have fun!!!

Best regards,

Georgina - India

Lubain Masum
Lubain Masum  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 03:17
Miembro 2006
inglés al bengalí
+ ...
PERSONA QUE INICIÓ LA HEBRA
Right you are!! Feb 5, 2007

I am not losing heart but just expressed my feeling. I think you all know how it pounds hearts particularly when we lose points for these silly mishaps!

Thanks for comments and consolations!

Inga Jakobi
Inga Jakobi  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 09:17
Miembro 2006
chino al alemán
+ ...
Something similar probably happens to everybody Feb 5, 2007

Hi,

I think that especially the problem of two answerers answering more or less simutaneously occurs very often. When it happens to me, i.e. when I am the second one, having taken my time to give the answer, pressed the button and than see that someone else gave the same answer 1 minute beforehand, I usually give him an agree or I even hid my answers few times to let the points for him as he was quicker. One thing that really annoyed me once was the following situation:
A fell
... See more
Hi,

I think that especially the problem of two answerers answering more or less simutaneously occurs very often. When it happens to me, i.e. when I am the second one, having taken my time to give the answer, pressed the button and than see that someone else gave the same answer 1 minute beforehand, I usually give him an agree or I even hid my answers few times to let the points for him as he was quicker. One thing that really annoyed me once was the following situation:
A fellow translator was asking a question giving a link that didn't work. I reacted first saying that the link didn't work and told her. Finally, when this problem was solved, I was the first one to answer (I am not sure, but maybe even the only one), receiving at least one agree, and everything was fine - so far.
Few days later I met a collegue who told me that the asker had asked her friend if she wanted to answer (there was definitely only one possible answer, the one I gave), to earn the points instead of me, because the two of them knew each other. She refused and I finally earned the points, but I am still speechless about this.

Regards to everybody,
Inga
Collapse

Melanie Nassar
Melanie Nassar  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 10:17
alemán al inglés
+ ...
It usually evens out Feb 5, 2007

I have sometimes seen answers coming later than mine get agrees (sometimes it's a matter of a giving a better explanation or providing a reference) for essentially, if not exactly the same answer.
The asker is free to choose the answer that was "most helpful" and sometimes it is the explanation that does it.

Sometimes, of course, the system is unfair and the early bird does not get the worm for some reason. There's no point in getting upset – some time you will be the o
... See more
I have sometimes seen answers coming later than mine get agrees (sometimes it's a matter of a giving a better explanation or providing a reference) for essentially, if not exactly the same answer.
The asker is free to choose the answer that was "most helpful" and sometimes it is the explanation that does it.

Sometimes, of course, the system is unfair and the early bird does not get the worm for some reason. There's no point in getting upset – some time you will be the one to be rewarded unfairly, and you can't do anything about that either.
Some askers are new and don't understand the etiquette at ProZ or don't even bother to close questions.

If you view KudoZ as a means of giving help, a mental challenge, a place to get help when you need it, these other issues become less important.

And peers who are often unfair in their comments or behavior get the reputation they deserve.
Collapse

franksf
franksf
chino al inglés
Be happy and have fun Feb 5, 2007

Well, allow me to say that my mentor told me not to take everything too seriously, as a diamond may not be forever and a proton may even decay. Take it easy and be happy. Have fun and enjoy Proz.

Everack
Everack
Local time: 15:17
chino al inglés
take it easy Feb 6, 2007

georgina singh wrote:

Hi Lubain,

I understand how you feel about this, but the thing is it happens in all language pairs.

I too love Kudos and have faced the same problem a couple of times. But the thing is to take it in your stride and not take it to heart.

It is frustrating though but my advise would be - just have fun!!!

Best regards,

Georgina - India

that is right, so take it easy.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

What to do when some colleagues do not act justly?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »