Stressed out... vacation suggestions needed
Thread poster: Doreen Stacey
Doreen Stacey
Doreen Stacey
United States
Dec 29, 2014

I have been working without breaks for the last 5 years. I have been enjoying my work that I have forgotten to take some time off. Recently, I suddenly felt so tired and wanting to have a vacation which my superiors approved of. The thing is, I have no idea where to go. I just want to relax, to read and enjoy a view. Any suggestions?

Diana Coada (X)
Diana Coada (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:35
Portuguese to English
+ ...
You've got Dec 29, 2014

Hawaii and the Caribbean islands right next to you...

Tom in London
Tom in London
United Kingdom
Local time: 12:35
Member (2008)
Italian to English
Rent Dec 29, 2014

Doreen Stacey wrote:

I have been working without breaks for the last 5 years. I have been enjoying my work that I have forgotten to take some time off. Recently, I suddenly felt so tired and wanting to have a vacation which my superiors approved of. The thing is, I have no idea where to go. I just want to relax, to read and enjoy a view. Any suggestions?

Rent an apt as high up as possible, in midtown Manhattan. It's quiet up there, and the view is pleasing by day and night. Lots of good bookshops close by.

[Edited at 2014-12-29 17:57 GMT]

Fiona Grace Peterson
Fiona Grace Peterson  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 13:35
Italian to English
Enviable position! Dec 29, 2014

I envy you... I wish my only problem was deciding where to go!

You don't give us much to go on! What does relaxation mean to you? Is it a city or a remote island community? You say you want a view... tropical beach or snow-capped mountains?

What's your budget? Five-star hotel or something kinder to your wallet?

Paul Lambert
Paul Lambert  Identity Verified
Sweden
Member (2006)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Pitcairn Dec 29, 2014

Then you absolutely must take some time off. Not too easy to get called back to work or rush back to the office from Pitcairn.

Jennifer Levey
Jennifer Levey  Identity Verified
Chile
Local time: 07:35
Spanish to English
+ ...
How about... Dec 29, 2014

... here?

Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)
Jitka Komarkova (Mgr.)  Identity Verified
Czech Republic
English to Czech
+ ...
Go to an isolated place in the mountains Dec 30, 2014

What I can recommend, based on my own experience, is going to the mountains...

somewhere a bit isolated (no internet connection!), being provided with a room and food, having great views... not really any of the posh ski resorts...
and also, although you may prefer to read - what will be rewarding at the end, go to a place where you will have to exert your physical strengths... maybe three hours' walk off the nearest road and some 600 m higher...
I do not mean taking a
... See more
What I can recommend, based on my own experience, is going to the mountains...

somewhere a bit isolated (no internet connection!), being provided with a room and food, having great views... not really any of the posh ski resorts...
and also, although you may prefer to read - what will be rewarding at the end, go to a place where you will have to exert your physical strengths... maybe three hours' walk off the nearest road and some 600 m higher...
I do not mean taking a risk climbing mountains or icefalls... just leaving for a quite place where you can hear a snowflake falling...
and bet it works!

Good luck and enjoy your free time!
Jitka
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Really? Dec 30, 2014

Doreen Stacey wrote:
...The thing is, I have no idea where to go.

Asking where to spend your holiday is a bit weird in my opinion. We don't know you.
The best holiday time I had was in the Australian outback with a small group of strangers and a big truck. Seeing Ayer's rock was one my dreams, and it came true. But it's totally personal and nobody recommended me that. And that was before watching Wolf's Creek.

Don't you have a dream? the Machu Pichu? Grand Canyon? Snorkeling? Uluru? Pompei? Stonehenge? Gobi desert? Halong Bay? Venice? Carribeans? Whales? Pyramids? Angkor temples? Teotihuacan? Skiing? Petra? Island's volcanos? Ibiza? Sailing?

If you really have no idea:
1) define your budget and duration
2) determine how fit you are
3) choose between backpack/shoestring setup, luxurious/all amenities environment or a shade between the two
4) draw a circle whose diameter is related to the questions above and with your starting point as the centre. 5) Pick whatever is near the circle's perimeter.

Enjoy whatever destination you choose.

Philippe

Tina Vonhof (X)
Tina Vonhof (X)
Canada
Local time: 05:35
Dutch to English
+ ...
The US and beyond Dec 31, 2014

There are lots of nice places in the US where you can go with a short flight or even driving (which I find very relaxing in itself). If you can afford it, come to Banff in Canada. The mountains are beautiful in the winter and you can ski or explore any of the numerous walking trails. If you want sun and beaches, you could go to Los Cabos in Baja California. Look online for vacation packages, the choices are endless really.

PRAKASH SHARMA
PRAKASH SHARMA  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 17:05
English to Hindi
+ ...
Visit Nepal! Dec 31, 2014

Hi

Nepal is a beautiful destination. Tracking in the mountains and hills are awesome tasks. Pokhara, Kathmandu and other beautiful destinations of Nepal will surely win your heart.

If needed, I will guide you to get an appropriate tour package too. You will just need to land in Kathmandu airport.

Is there anything else you need?

Enjoy in the best possible manner because pleasure
... See more
Hi

Nepal is a beautiful destination. Tracking in the mountains and hills are awesome tasks. Pokhara, Kathmandu and other beautiful destinations of Nepal will surely win your heart.

If needed, I will guide you to get an appropriate tour package too. You will just need to land in Kathmandu airport.

Is there anything else you need?

Enjoy in the best possible manner because pleasure and peace are two important 'p's of life, which one should never miss. Profession can surely be continued afterwards.

Your Friend,
Prakash Sharma
Collapse

Annie Estéphan
Annie Estéphan  Identity Verified
Canada
Local time: 07:35
Member (2010)
English to French
+ ...
Punta Cana, Dominican Republic Jan 3, 2015

I just came back from Punta Cana....the second time this year:) It's so beautiful and relaxing, in an all-inclusive resort, all you think about is having fun and relaxing. Our children LOVED it too, so everyone was happy:)

We took the Grand Bahia Principe resort...great resort:)

Here's the link: http://www.bahia-principe.com/en/

Good luck:)

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Please check ProZ.com site rules: http://www.proz.com/siterules/general/7#7.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Stressed out... vacation suggestions needed

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »