Pages in topic:   < [1 2]
Poll: Do you think that being a translator changes your perception of life and society?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 06:33
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's a privilege in terms of knowledge, but as to perception of life and society... Dec 12, 2015

I'm very thankful for working as a translator for 28 years. I regret not giving up my other professions a lot earlier than I did (2013), and dedicating myself only to translations when I was a lot younger. All other professions added so much less knowledge and so much more trouble and stress to my life!

Not only it's one of the most pleasant professions in the world (you can see most translators love their profession), but I doubt any other profession in this world allows such level
... See more
I'm very thankful for working as a translator for 28 years. I regret not giving up my other professions a lot earlier than I did (2013), and dedicating myself only to translations when I was a lot younger. All other professions added so much less knowledge and so much more trouble and stress to my life!

Not only it's one of the most pleasant professions in the world (you can see most translators love their profession), but I doubt any other profession in this world allows such level of knowledge in so many areas, acquired from decent documents (not social networks, where the kids get their 'knowledge' today).

It is doubtlessly a privilege to be able to participate in practically any conversation, in almost any area, and at least be able to understand what is being said, and to say things you know won't embarass you. In addition, the translators usually has an amazing hability to communicate and express themselves with fluence, something also rare among most other professions.

Now regarding perception of life and society, it's probably very positive for the reasons I mentioned above. But perhaps not so superior as compared to other professions, because other daily-life factors are very significant in this aspect, much more than one's profession. When you live in Brazil, like I do, these other factors change that perception so sharply, the experience translation brings to you is overlapped and choked by the reality of your environment.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 05:33
English to Spanish
+ ...
What is knowledge base? Dec 12, 2015

Sheila Wilson wrote:

We're exposed to all sorts of information in our texts, and our research expands our general knowledge constantly. I'm often made aware of that in general conversation with friends. Of course, we don't necessarily make much use of it, but it can't be a bad thing. Difficult to be s translator and still have your head stuck firmly in the sand, I'd think.

If the information we're exposed to is well organized, then we might glean some knowledge and, ultimately, wisdom.

But, knowledge base? That sounds very alien to me.

Andy Watkinson
Andy Watkinson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 11:33
Catalan to English
+ ...
Try as I may... Dec 13, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:

Sheila Wilson wrote:

We're exposed to all sorts of information in our texts, and our research expands our general knowledge constantly. I'm often made aware of that in general conversation with friends. Of course, we don't necessarily make much use of it, but it can't be a bad thing. Difficult to be s translator and still have your head stuck firmly in the sand, I'd think.

If the information we're exposed to is well organized, then we might glean some knowledge and, ultimately, wisdom.

But, knowledge base? That sounds very alien to me.

... I'm unable to find the expression "knowledge base"in your quote of Sheila. Why are you so surprised at an expression that hasn't even been used?

Sheila Wilson
Sheila Wilson  Identity Verified
Spain
Local time: 10:33
Member (2007)
English
+ ...
"Knowledge base" definition Dec 13, 2015

Mario Chavez wrote:
knowledge base? That sounds very alien to me.

Type the following into Google search:
Define:knowledge base

HTH

Pages in topic:   < [1 2]

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you think that being a translator changes your perception of life and society?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »