Poll: How well has your business done in 2014, in comparison to last year?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 16, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "How well has your business done in 2014, in comparison to last year?".

View the poll results »

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 23:01
Turkish to English
+ ...
About the same Dec 16, 2014

About the same as last year, although 2013 and 2014 have been years of recovery for me compared to the disastrous few years that preceded them. In fact, I found 2013 and 2014 to be unbalanced years, with very strong demand in the first half of 2013 and also in the second half of 2014, leaving a very quiet period of about a year in duration in between. I am hoping that the upturn continues in 2015 with a good, balanced workload throughout the year.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:01
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
About the same Dec 16, 2014

I just now checked: my income was 4% lower this year.

This year my main client suddenly stopped sending me work. I asked about it, and they explained that a new manager had decided to use "lower paid" translators. I lowered my rate slightly (which is still more than any of my other clients pay) and the flow resumed.

Maxi Schwarz
Maxi Schwarz  Identity Verified
Local time: 15:01
German to English
+ ...
On the upswing because..... Dec 16, 2014

The big change in the past 5 years or so is that end clients have become much more Internet savvy, and they are going straight to the source. The proportion of end client vs. agency business has increased remarkably, even if agency business still represents the larger part of work in any month.

Luiz Barucke
Luiz Barucke  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 17:01
Spanish to Portuguese
+ ...
Much better Dec 16, 2014

New and better clients, higher rates, more interesting jobs... Best year ever. Until 2015, of course.

Anthony Baldwin
Anthony Baldwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 16:01
Portuguese to English
+ ...
half & half Dec 16, 2014

The first part of the year wasn't so good, but the second half has been pretty good.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:01
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Much better Dec 16, 2014

Luiz Barucke wrote:

New and better clients, higher rates, more interesting jobs... Best year ever. Until 2015, of course.

And 2015 will be even better.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:01
Spanish to English
+ ...
Much better Dec 16, 2014

Better clients, better processes, and better marketing made this year much better than the last. I will be launching my app in the next few weeks, so 2015 should be simply awesome ^_^

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Business? Dec 16, 2014

I write translations, I don't run a business. Granted, I do all the administrative work, invoice preparation and followup, I prepare my own tax forms and do all the office tasks. But that is expected of us, whether we are translators, dentists, physical therapists, dog walkers or novel writers.

This is one more intrusive poll question that qualifies as gossip and serves no discernible public interest.

Eleonora Chyc
Eleonora Chyc  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 21:01
Russian to Ukrainian
+ ...
Much better Dec 16, 2014

I've got some more clients this year,not necessarily more money as I had some financial support from other resources.It is fair enough as you can't expect to make a fortune straight away after moving from teaching into interpreting in the second year of running your enterprise (if you prefer this word, Mario,instead of business).All depends on your goals,readiness to give more than take,constant mastering yourself in a field of your choice as well as supply and demand etc.If you apply a manlike ... See more
I've got some more clients this year,not necessarily more money as I had some financial support from other resources.It is fair enough as you can't expect to make a fortune straight away after moving from teaching into interpreting in the second year of running your enterprise (if you prefer this word, Mario,instead of business).All depends on your goals,readiness to give more than take,constant mastering yourself in a field of your choice as well as supply and demand etc.If you apply a manlike approach,it will be a completely different story.Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Interpreting requires moving, moving, moving all the time Dec 16, 2014

Eleonora Chyc wrote:

I've got some more clients this year,not necessarily more money as I had some financial support from other resources.It is fair enough as you can't expect to make a fortune straight away after moving from teaching into interpreting in the second year of running your enterprise (if you prefer this word, Mario,instead of business).All depends on your goals,readiness to give more than take,constant mastering yourself in a field of your choice as well as supply and demand etc.If you apply a manlike approach,it will be a completely different story.

By moving I mean, being active all the time. I have friends in the profession who are interpreters, they're on the go all the time. I couldn't do that. Not my forte.

Actually, I don't like to call enterprise what I do. Please don't get me wrong, you call it whatever you feel comfortable with. I write and design translations. I eschew all those Yankee merchant word associations that commercialize every single activity out there.

Eleonora Chyc
Eleonora Chyc  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Russian to Ukrainian
+ ...
Much better Dec 16, 2014

In fact,I earn more and have more time for myself and for learning all the time.Moving is always good,whether it is intellectual or physical.You move a lot,Mario,you do.I don't like defining an intellectual profession a business as well as you,but I realise we are businessmen/women.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Much better Dec 16, 2014

One of my direct clients saw its turnover rise by over 50% in the last two years and their translation needs have grown accordingly…

Balasubramaniam L.
Balasubramaniam L.  Identity Verified
India
Local time: 01:31
Member (2006)
English to Hindi
+ ...
SITE LOCALIZER
Much better Dec 17, 2014

The annual earning for 2014 has been more than one and a half times of the previous year's earning. I acquired a couple of new large volume clients and some regular ones also generated huge work volumes.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: How well has your business done in 2014, in comparison to last year?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »