Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you provide your TMs to your clients?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 24, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you provide your TMs to your clients?".

This poll was originally submitted by Ivan Niu. View the poll results »

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 21:33
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No Jan 24, 2014

There is no reason to give my TMs to my clients. That is, aside from the fact that none of my clients have ever even considered asking for them.

[Edited at 2014-01-24 09:41 GMT]

Natalya Vinkler
Natalya Vinkler  Identity Verified
Italy
Italian to Russian
+ ...
No, but if required, Jan 24, 2014

maybe it would be a good idea to create a separate TM for the project assigned and provide just this one.

Mary Worby
Mary Worby  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:33
German to English
+ ...
No Jan 24, 2014

Not my TMs. I will provide a project-specific TM containing only the work I have done for them on that occasion, but it's not normally required as they can update their TMs from the bilingual files I send anyway.

Terry Richards
Terry Richards
France
French to English
+ ...
Other Jan 24, 2014

Once again, I am forced to vote "other".

I will happily provide the TM for the current project. I do not provide any TMs that I bought to the table.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 24, 2014

They're mine, you can't have 'em, get off.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
I assumed this meant project-specific TM Jan 24, 2014

Mary Worby wrote:

Not my TMs. I will provide a project-specific TM containing only the work I have done for them on that occasion

That is just what I do. Occasionally clients request a cleaned file plus TM, or bilingual file, or all of these (they either don't really know what they are doing, or they want to be on the safe side and avoid issues with different CAT-tools). I have no problem with that. I would not send my own TMs - I put time and effort into creating them, and in addition there would be issues of confidentiality. Nobody has ever asked me for those though.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
No Jan 24, 2014

This kind of request mainly comes from agencies and I don't work with many. If asked by a client, I might be prepared to give them a project-specific TM or glossary, but I'd be reluctant to give away what I regard as the fruit of my labours dating back over a decade to be exploited freely by all and sundry. My preciouses...

Noura Tawil
Noura Tawil  Identity Verified
Syria
Local time: 22:33
Member (2013)
English to Arabic
That's.. Jan 24, 2014

Natalya Vinkler wrote:

maybe it would be a good idea to create a separate TM for the project assigned and provide just this one.

..exactly and exclusively what I would agree to provide.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
No, but I send a .tmx of the job I have completed Jan 24, 2014

Instead of sending cleaned and uncleaned files, which the older versions of Trados used to produce, I now set up a project TM and send an extract from that.

Otherwise it is possible to filter the main TM to export only the segments used in the latest document(s) by date, and I occasionally extract that way.

But 'my' TMs - no way. They include a lot of sensitive material and exchanges with colleagues and clients that are not mine to give, as well as my own work.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 04:33
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Jan 24, 2014

Why should I hand over my property to someone else for free? Duh!

However, if a customer has provided me with a Trados package to work with on a project, then I will give them a return package when I deliver. How else would I deliver? Seems so obvious to me.

Now, if a customer wants to pay me for TMs I have made through dint of my own efforts, then all they need do is ask and throw crazy money at me.
... See more
Why should I hand over my property to someone else for free? Duh!

However, if a customer has provided me with a Trados package to work with on a project, then I will give them a return package when I deliver. How else would I deliver? Seems so obvious to me.

Now, if a customer wants to pay me for TMs I have made through dint of my own efforts, then all they need do is ask and throw crazy money at me.

Added following line:
On looking at the options again, doesn't this poll exclude all translators who don't use CAT tools?

[Edited at 2014-01-25 02:11 GMT]
Collapse

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Yes, Jan 24, 2014

but only if it came from them in the first place.

I do not hand out TM´s that I create by myself

Marina Soldati
Marina Soldati  Identity Verified
Argentina
Local time: 16:33
Member (2005)
English to Spanish
+ ...
Other Jan 24, 2014

As other colleages have said, I don´t provide my TMs.

I provide either a project specific TM if the client required me to create one or the updated TM the client sent with the files to translate.

Nice weekend to all!

Marina

Thomas Pfann
Thomas Pfann  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 20:33
Member (2006)
English to German
+ ...
Same here Jan 24, 2014

I have never come across a situation where a client would ask for one of "my" TMs and can't imagine anyone ever asking for their translators' TMs.

Often, though, clients request the TM for a specific job (or alternatively they request the unclean files so that they can update their TM) - which, of course, is perfectly fine.

From my own personal experience I can say that whenever fellow translators complained about clients requesting their TM, it always turned out to be
... See more
I have never come across a situation where a client would ask for one of "my" TMs and can't imagine anyone ever asking for their translators' TMs.

Often, though, clients request the TM for a specific job (or alternatively they request the unclean files so that they can update their TM) - which, of course, is perfectly fine.

From my own personal experience I can say that whenever fellow translators complained about clients requesting their TM, it always turned out to be a simple misunderstanding between translator and client: of course, the clients did not want the translators' TM (why would they?) but the TM for a particular job or project ("TM" being the actual TM, a TM export or even just the unclean files). I believe the whole issue of "my TMs are not for the client" (an issue which every now and again comes up in the translation community) stems from this misunderstanding.
Collapse

Angelique Blommaert
Angelique Blommaert  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Member (2012)
German to Dutch
+ ...
No Jan 24, 2014

It would be the same as asking for a part of my brain to me. I worked hard to find the best translation, it took a lot of time. I only give the one back they provided me...updated.

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you provide your TMs to your clients?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »