Prices in fiction
Autor de la hebra: Morten Alme
Morten Alme
Morten Alme

inglés al noruego
Dec 6, 2011

Anyone have an idea on what the norm is for translating fiction?

I've done technical translations. And this is normally priced higher. But fiction, specially when there is competition, I do not want to overprice, and I do not want to underprice. Anyhow, this is a dream job, as I will do my speciality, and I can travel at the same time.

All advice is appreciated.

Evans (X)
Evans (X)
Local time: 17:50
español al inglés
+ ...
Depends on the country Dec 6, 2011

The rates vary hugely according to the country in which the fiction is or would be published. The best thing is to contact the translation association of the country concerned. If it were England, you could get the relevant information from the Translators Association of the Society of Authors. I imagine there is something equivalent in Norway. They should be able to give you an idea.

Susan Welsh
Susan Welsh  Identity Verified
Estados Unidos
Local time: 12:50
ruso al inglés
+ ...
Check this forum thread, and this item in particular Dec 6, 2011

http://www.proz.com/forum/literature_poetry/143723-can_you_earn_a_living_as_a_literary_translator.html#1202636

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Prices in fiction

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »