Trados: Making certain symbols "untouchable"
Autor de la hebra: IanW (X)
IanW (X)
IanW (X)
Local time: 23:39
alemán al inglés
+ ...
Nov 13, 2003

I have Trados 5.5 Freelance and am working on a huge project which contains certain Greek symbols used as a kind of legend - i.e. an Alpha means "refer to handbook" etc.

My problem is that Trados replaces these symbols with entirely different ones, meaning I have to change them back manually every time. As these symbols appear alone in a translation unit, I was wondering if it was possible to make them "untouchable", or to program Trados to ignore them completely in the same way as
... See more
I have Trados 5.5 Freelance and am working on a huge project which contains certain Greek symbols used as a kind of legend - i.e. an Alpha means "refer to handbook" etc.

My problem is that Trados replaces these symbols with entirely different ones, meaning I have to change them back manually every time. As these symbols appear alone in a translation unit, I was wondering if it was possible to make them "untouchable", or to program Trados to ignore them completely in the same way as it ignores numbers.

I've had a quick look through my Trados manuals but can't find anything. If anyone can tell me if this is possible and perhaps point me in the right direction, I would be very grateful.

Thanks

Ian
Collapse

Ralf Lemster
Ralf Lemster  Identity Verified
Alemania
Local time: 23:39
inglés al alemán
+ ...
Unicode issue Nov 13, 2003

Hi Ian,
I assume these are Unicode characters which are outside the normal font table. This is a known issue affecting Trados versions up to 5.5 - apparently, the codepage conversion doesn't work 100% here. The issue was fixed with T6 - if you want, you can send me one page, and I'll test it for you (using T6LSP).

Contact Trados Support and see if they have a workaround for you.
... See more
Hi Ian,
I assume these are Unicode characters which are outside the normal font table. This is a known issue affecting Trados versions up to 5.5 - apparently, the codepage conversion doesn't work 100% here. The issue was fixed with T6 - if you want, you can send me one page, and I'll test it for you (using T6LSP).

Contact Trados Support and see if they have a workaround for you.

This KB article addresses your problem, I think - note that the main issue is a Word problem. T6 has additional functionality that circumvents this.

Best regards, Ralf

[Edited at 2003-11-13 09:00]
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados: Making certain symbols "untouchable"

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »