Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Do you bring your laptop with you while on vacation?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 12, 2016

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Do you bring your laptop with you while on vacation?".

View the poll results »

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Local time: 15:39
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes, always Feb 12, 2016

Pray tell, kind sirs, what is this "vacation" of which ye speak?

But seriously, if nothing else, I can use it as an entertainment centre, and I'm not averse to doing a bit of work to pass the time either.

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Feb 12, 2016

But if I did, I would take it with me and bring it home

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:39
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Yes! Feb 12, 2016

Since my children left home (20 years ago), I don’t take family vacations any more, but very long “weekends” throughout the year and an odd day here and there whenever I feel like it and I never leave my laptop behind as one never knows when an emergency might arise… I also like watching movies online.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:39
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Feb 12, 2016

I take a laptop, but I rarely correspond with clients while I'm on vacation and rarely translate. I never accept new assignments.

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:39
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
It's not MY laptop... Feb 12, 2016

It's the family netbook for travel. Anyone in the family here will take it on a trip.

While it enables me to keep in contact via e-mail and Skype, it is deliberately unsuitable for analyzing job offers (especially video), nor doing any actual translation (or any other) work.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:39
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
No Feb 12, 2016

I do not have a laptop. Probably because I might take it with me on vacation - whatever that is.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
Always Feb 12, 2016

Always take it with me, skiing at the moment and instead of apr´ski, its work time, especially after the children are asleep.

Natalie Soper
Natalie Soper  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
+ ...
No way Feb 12, 2016

Holidays are for getting away from work - I don't want anything hanging over me while I'm trying to relax. Except palm trees.

Odile Breuvart
Odile Breuvart  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
English to French
+ ...
Different worlds Feb 12, 2016

I spend so much time working on my computer that I hardly use my mobile when I'm away, and I don't want a laptop on top of all that. More life experience!

Andrea Garfield-Barkworth
Andrea Garfield-Barkworth  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2015)
German to English
Yes I do Feb 12, 2016

but I don't necessarily work on it as such.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Relaxing arboreal species Feb 12, 2016

Natalie Soper wrote:

Holidays are for getting away from work - I don't want anything hanging over me while I'm trying to relax. Except palm trees.

Pray tell, where are those palm trees in the UK you speak of?

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 09:39
English to Spanish
+ ...
Laptops everywhere Feb 12, 2016

I have a netbook, about 11 inches x 10 inches across. Very portable, and red, with Windows 7 Pro and 4 GB of RAM, which don't seem to be sufficient.

I might end up selling it though because my 17-inch MacBook Pro has OSX 10.8 and Windows 7 Pro on Parallels 9. I can run Deja Vu or SDL Trados on that virtual machine.

I confess that I always take work-pleasure vacations, so my netbook comes with me.

Rolf Kern
Rolf Kern  Identity Verified
Switzerland
English to German
+ ...
In memoriam
Other Feb 12, 2016

For what purpose should I have a Laptop?

Rolf

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 10:39
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Vacation is not vacation if you don't make it so Feb 13, 2016

There are two types of "vacations". One of them is when you take some time off to rest and dedicate some time to yourself, your family and your health. Another type is when you travel to someone else's house for a while, just to change the atmosphere, to visit a relative or for a short period (a week, for example).

In the latter case, I think it's acceptable to take your laptop or the like with you. You will stay up to date with your networking, etc., and maybe even do a little wor
... See more
There are two types of "vacations". One of them is when you take some time off to rest and dedicate some time to yourself, your family and your health. Another type is when you travel to someone else's house for a while, just to change the atmosphere, to visit a relative or for a short period (a week, for example).

In the latter case, I think it's acceptable to take your laptop or the like with you. You will stay up to date with your networking, etc., and maybe even do a little work.

In the former case, no way! If you're going camping, or to the beach, or to Paris, you do not take any such devices with you, otherwise you are only chaning the address, but not the routine. No good for your health or for your mind. Don't worry, you'll be able to take care of any urgency using your cell phone or a lan-house. Personally, I even turn of the cell-phone in such trips.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Do you bring your laptop with you while on vacation?

Protemos translation business management system
Create your account in minutes, and start working! 3-month trial for agencies, and free for freelancers!

The system lets you keep client/vendor database, with contacts and rates, manage projects and assign jobs to vendors, issue invoices, track payments, store and manage project files, generate business reports on turnover profit per client/manager etc.

More info »
Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »