Poll: What do you do if you know your translation is to be proofread by a competent colleague?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Dec 6, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you do if you know your translation is to be proofread by a competent colleague?".

This poll was originally submitted by Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL. View the poll results »

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 15:52
Turkish to English
+ ...
I go easy on my own proofreading (provided I am using my own reviewer) Dec 6, 2014

Occasionally I employ my own reviewer if a job has a very tight deadline precisely so that I can keep moving ahead without doing the usual amount of checking and get the work finished on time. I only do this where I have engaged the reviewer myself and know that I can trust this person to find any errors or omissions (it is usually the latter).

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 13:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
I skip my own proofreading altogether... Dec 6, 2014

...because know my eagle-eyed proofreader (my wife) never misses a thing.

For example, she would never let the above error get through.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 05:52
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same as always Dec 6, 2014

In the office where I first worked as a full-time translator, everyone's work was reviewed as a matter of routine. At the 'reviewer' level the translators took turns reviewing each other. We kept ourselves to the highest standards because we didn't want our colleagues to find a lot of mistakes.

I developed that mindset and have followed the same policy ever since.

[Edited at 2014-12-06 11:09 GMT]

Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington
Jose Arnoldo Rodriguez-Carrington  Identity Verified
Mexico
Local time: 06:52
English to Spanish
+ ...
The same as always Dec 6, 2014

Whether my work is going to be reviewed or not does not affect the quality of the translation that I deliver. I ALWAYS try to do my best, otherwise I would not be behaving professionally.

[Edited at 2014-12-06 13:18 GMT]

Gianluca Marras
Gianluca Marras  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 14:52
English to Italian
same as usual Dec 6, 2014

I do the same work, translation, accurate research,, my own proofreading for three main reasons:
1) I don't like to give a bad translation, you know I prefer to be considered a good translator
2) It is not fair to give a bad translation to someone who then has to work much more than expected on that translation
3) If 2) happened to me (as a proofreader) I would tell the client that the translation was really bad, and the translator would have problems in getting more work

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
No difference Dec 6, 2014

Why should there be? Quality is quality.

Helen Hagon
Helen Hagon  Identity Verified
Local time: 13:52
Member (2011)
Russian to English
+ ...
The same as usual Dec 6, 2014

I always put maximum effort into every job. If I were to submit careless work I would risk embarrassing myself. If I send something out into cyberspace with my name on it, I want it to be my best attempt no matter what its supposed purpose.

Yetta Jensen Bogarde
Yetta Jensen Bogarde  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2012)
English to Danish
+ ...
Business as usual.. Dec 6, 2014

and it is more the norm than the exception anyway.

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:52
Spanish to English
+ ...
Same! Dec 6, 2014

Mike Sadler wrote:

...because know my eagle-eyed proofreader (my wife) never misses a thing.

For example, she would never let the above error get through.

My wife does the same. One of the perks of being married to a translator/editor!

Mario Freitas
Mario Freitas  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 09:52
Member (2014)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
It's the best thing that can happen, Dec 7, 2014

It doesn't change the standards of my delivery. I work, check and read the same for all customers, in all situations.

But knowing my work will be revised by a competent colleague is great news. Usually the revisor wants to show his work, and commonly changes A LOT of 12s for one dozen, if you know what I mean, and makes sure your document has a good number of red underlined marks, although 90% of them are either wrong or useless. That pisses me off! And it happens all the time.
... See more
It doesn't change the standards of my delivery. I work, check and read the same for all customers, in all situations.

But knowing my work will be revised by a competent colleague is great news. Usually the revisor wants to show his work, and commonly changes A LOT of 12s for one dozen, if you know what I mean, and makes sure your document has a good number of red underlined marks, although 90% of them are either wrong or useless. That pisses me off! And it happens all the time.

I'm currently working for an agency and all my documents are revised by a great colleague of ours, leader in most KudoZ categories in our language pairs, and it's a pleasure working with him. Such a great linguist returns my documents with barely any proofreading marks at all. Three or four in 5-10 pages, at the most. He does not have to show quantity to prove is quality. That's a professional!

[Edited at 2014-12-07 04:47 GMT]
Collapse

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Deliver same standard but look forward to any comments Dec 7, 2014

One of my major clients has most of my work proofread by an excellent translator whose expertise I trust completely. It is always very helpful to have my translations back with any comments, suggestions or corrections he considers relevant. He treats my work with respect, and I respect his input and learn from it. And feel a little bit embarrassed if he catches me out on something really stupid...
But my standard of delivered material is the same whether or not I know that it will be proof
... See more
One of my major clients has most of my work proofread by an excellent translator whose expertise I trust completely. It is always very helpful to have my translations back with any comments, suggestions or corrections he considers relevant. He treats my work with respect, and I respect his input and learn from it. And feel a little bit embarrassed if he catches me out on something really stupid...
But my standard of delivered material is the same whether or not I know that it will be proofread...
Collapse

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do if you know your translation is to be proofread by a competent colleague?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »