Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: What do you do if you already have work and get a job offer from a new client?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Oct 24, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "What do you do if you already have work and get a job offer from a new client?".

View the poll results »

Arabic & More
Arabic & More  Identity Verified
Jordan
Arabic to English
+ ...
Other... Oct 24, 2014

Negotiate the deadline.

Why is this not one of the response choices?

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
Sorry Oct 24, 2014

but this is a stupid question.

It depends entirely on how much work you have, what the job is, who the new customer is, etc etc.

Marjolein Snippe
Marjolein Snippe  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 10:36
Member (2012)
English to Dutch
+ ...
Er... Oct 24, 2014

Chris S wrote:

It depends entirely on how much work you have, what the job is, who the new customer is, etc etc.

Exactly. If I have room for it, of course I will accept it - assuming this is a client I know, the rate is ok, subject is ok, etc. If I only accept new projects after finishing the current one, I would have a lot more time on my hands and a lot less money to spend!

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 01:36
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Ditto Oct 24, 2014

If I can negotiate the deadline, that's fine, but I won't kill myself.

When I turn down work because I'm already committed (which happens a lot), I bend over backwards to let the prospective client know that I would have really liked to take the job and ask them to keep me in mind for the future.

There are very few colleagues' whose work/demeanor I know well enough to refer the new client to them. It's bad enough if the colleague makes a mistake, but sometimes I've had
... See more
If I can negotiate the deadline, that's fine, but I won't kill myself.

When I turn down work because I'm already committed (which happens a lot), I bend over backwards to let the prospective client know that I would have really liked to take the job and ask them to keep me in mind for the future.

There are very few colleagues' whose work/demeanor I know well enough to refer the new client to them. It's bad enough if the colleague makes a mistake, but sometimes I've had egg on my face because the colleague rubbed them the wrong way.

I also don't outsource. I once lost a major client that way--but that's off-topic.
Collapse

Philippe Etienne
Philippe Etienne  Identity Verified
Spain
English to French
Two options Oct 24, 2014

I replied the easy answer, turn down the job.
But in certain circumstances I can't ignore, I ask a surcharge (50-100%).

[Edited at 2014-10-24 09:26 GMT]

Ben_ (X)
Ben_ (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 09:36
German to English
Other Oct 24, 2014

I don't like saying no unless I absolutely have to, but earlier this week I just had to say no to one of my favourite clients because there weren't enough hours in the day to get his work done and the work I was already doing.

When it comes down to rush jobs and extra-tight deadlines because of having more than one job on the go I'd rather be honest and turn down work than run the risk of handing in something which I know I could have done better.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Other Oct 24, 2014

If the job and the client seem interesting, I will accept the job and accommodate (or negotiate) the deadline. Depending on the particular circumstances, all the other options, but one ("Accept the job and ask for a surcharge"), might work as well…

José Henrique Lamensdorf
José Henrique Lamensdorf  Identity Verified
Brazil
Local time: 05:36
English to Portuguese
+ ...
In memoriam
Two ways to accommodate Oct 24, 2014

Amel Abdullah wrote:

Negotiate the deadline.

Why is this not one of the response choices?

Some translators accommodate it in the client's way, i.e. they burn the midnight oil to do both jobs within the time frame both clients have requested.

I accommodate the 'new' job to my schedule: I tell the prospect the earliest I can deliver what they are requesting, and that I never miss translation deadlines (at least, I haven't missed any since 1973). If it's good enough for them, I'll take it. If it's not, they'll have to find someone else to do that job.

Enrica Brancaleoni
Enrica Brancaleoni  Identity Verified
Belgium
English to Italian
+ ...
Other Oct 24, 2014

I don't usually like to turn down offers unless I really have no choice. It happens sometimes that I cannot accept a project under the terms requested by the client and, in this case, I express my interest in working at it, explain why I can't do it as they request and try to negotiate the deadline. Last week it worked out and I managed to secure one tiny job plus huge amount of follow-up translations. Few months back, it didn't and I lost a client!
This is freelancing; we somehow depend o
... See more
I don't usually like to turn down offers unless I really have no choice. It happens sometimes that I cannot accept a project under the terms requested by the client and, in this case, I express my interest in working at it, explain why I can't do it as they request and try to negotiate the deadline. Last week it worked out and I managed to secure one tiny job plus huge amount of follow-up translations. Few months back, it didn't and I lost a client!
This is freelancing; we somehow depend on the client and the urgency of the job so, there is no real one-size-fits-all answer to this question.

[Edited at 2014-10-24 09:52 GMT]
Collapse

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other Oct 24, 2014

It depends. If it is a new client, I might try to find someone else who can take the job on if I am not able to do so.

A couple of weeks ago I was approached by an agency saying they liked my profile and asking for my rates etc. I'm afraid I haven't even had time to draft an email reply to explain that I'm not currently available. I wouldn't mind them offering me work occasionally, but I would not be able to guarantee my availability every time they happen to have work on offer. ... See more
It depends. If it is a new client, I might try to find someone else who can take the job on if I am not able to do so.

A couple of weeks ago I was approached by an agency saying they liked my profile and asking for my rates etc. I'm afraid I haven't even had time to draft an email reply to explain that I'm not currently available. I wouldn't mind them offering me work occasionally, but I would not be able to guarantee my availability every time they happen to have work on offer.

PS: I also hate saying "no" to work offers, but sometimes there's no other option, especially when everyone wants everything done "urgently" i.e. by yesterday...

[Edited at 2014-10-24 09:57 GMT]
Collapse

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Other Oct 24, 2014

It depends on several factors, size of the new job, deadline; and also on whether the request comes from a long-standing good client.

I always try to acommodate my clients, and am also trying my best to accept jobs from new clients. In case I really cannot accept the job, I explain my reasons.

Elizabeth Tamblin
Elizabeth Tamblin  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
French to English
In the unlikely event of this happening, Oct 24, 2014

I would turn it down and recommend a colleague.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Agree with Chris Oct 24, 2014

Chris S wrote:

but this is a stupid question.

...although I would say the same thing slightly less offensively.

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
Try to fit it in Oct 24, 2014

I almost always have work in hand, but clients come and go.

Even the best regulars were new once, and most of the jobs I do are small, so I can accommodate a couple of thousand words with a realistic deadline.

If the client comes with a recommendation from a trusted colleague, I really make an effort to fit them in...

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: What do you do if you already have work and get a job offer from a new client?

Trados Business Manager Lite
Create customer quotes and invoices from within Trados Studio

Trados Business Manager Lite helps to simplify and speed up some of the daily tasks, such as invoicing and reporting, associated with running your freelance translation business.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »