Poll: For those who don't undertake CPD (Continuing Professional Development), why not?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Feb 2, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "For those who don't undertake CPD (Continuing Professional Development), why not?".

This poll was originally submitted by Angus Stewart. View the poll results »

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 15:25
Member (2006)
German to English
Simply ..... Feb 2, 2014

lack of time

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 22:25
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
I see CPD Feb 2, 2014

As not simply Continuing Professional Development but also as Continuing Personal Development. After all, your dedication as a professional is an extension of your persona and reflects what you are deep down inside, don't you think?

Must have had too much saké already. Hic!

Small edit

[Edited at 2014-02-03 08:16 GMT]

Enrico Zoffoli
Enrico Zoffoli  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2013)
German to Italian
+ ...
Lack of time Feb 2, 2014

I just work too much. Of course I guess CPD is also a result of the actual hours you spend doing the job, so in that sense I do develop professionally, and continually.

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Other - A few of the above Feb 2, 2014

Apart from the fact that I slightly resent the implication that I (or my output) need improving, I don't see the value of it. I think I do most of my learning on the job, and although “I already have all the skills I need” sounds rather presumptuous, I think I manage quite well on those I do have as far is work is concerned.

True, I would like to be able to work better with Excel files and I really should get round to exploiting Wordfast more than I do, but then another hardy pe
... See more
Apart from the fact that I slightly resent the implication that I (or my output) need improving, I don't see the value of it. I think I do most of my learning on the job, and although “I already have all the skills I need” sounds rather presumptuous, I think I manage quite well on those I do have as far is work is concerned.

True, I would like to be able to work better with Excel files and I really should get round to exploiting Wordfast more than I do, but then another hardy perennial crops up, the time factor. I'm usually too busy working to do things like this, although last year 2012-2013 I took some time out for driving lessons to get my Spanish licence, so obviously when push comes to shove I can grudgingly give up some of the time I dedicate to translating.

Perhaps I will have to spend some time learning to deal with more recent versions of MS Office once the support for XP is no longer available (thanks again for nothing, Mr Gates)... But it will not be through choice.
Collapse

Jean NICOLET
Jean NICOLET  Identity Verified
France
English to French
+ ...
I do - CPD is a lottery Feb 2, 2014

Well, I am not seasoned enough to overlook some training times to times =)

In my opinion, CPD, or whatever you name it, is often dull and a waste of time, but sometimes you find a valuable pearl that was worth the whole efforts.
Sure, practice makes perfect and remains the best way to improve oneself. Yet, it does not provide the nose-out-of-the-grindstone thinking that enables you to implement radical changes.

Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida
Maria Teresa Borges de Almeida  Identity Verified
Portugal
Local time: 14:25
Member (2007)
English to Portuguese
+ ...
Lack of time! Feb 2, 2014

But everyday I learn something new. Like most things, translation takes practice and practice and more practice...

Mike Sadler (X)
Mike Sadler (X)  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Spanish to English
+ ...
I've never really thought about it but... Feb 2, 2014

I'd be interested to see the discussion resulting from a poll phrased to elicit views on the most useful CPD activities fellow-professionals have undertaken.

564354352 (X)
564354352 (X)  Identity Verified
Denmark
Danish to English
+ ...
Other - location, location, location - and lack of options Feb 2, 2014

I would love to undertake some additional training, you never stop learning in our profession, I think.

However, I am not prepared to rip an entire day out of my calendar for a half-day course, for instance, which I would have to do due to my location. Nor am I willing to spend loads of money to travel outside Denmark to attend more interesting courses than what I see available here. Most options I have seen advertised in Denmark are hopelessly outdated or irrelevant to my particul
... See more
I would love to undertake some additional training, you never stop learning in our profession, I think.

However, I am not prepared to rip an entire day out of my calendar for a half-day course, for instance, which I would have to do due to my location. Nor am I willing to spend loads of money to travel outside Denmark to attend more interesting courses than what I see available here. Most options I have seen advertised in Denmark are hopelessly outdated or irrelevant to my particular line of work and interests.

So, I do continually develop professionally, but it is on-the-job DIY training as and when I need to learn something new.
Collapse

Christine Andersen
Christine Andersen  Identity Verified
Denmark
Member (2003)
Danish to English
+ ...
'Do it yourself' and maybe a little haphazard Feb 2, 2014

Gitte Hovedskov, MCIL wrote:
I do continually develop professionally, but it is on-the-job DIY training as and when I need to learn something new.

Much the same here.

I do make the effort to buy books and read at least a few chapters, and when I read up on background for a job, I do it as extensively as possible.
Usually there is not enough time for much extra study before the deadline, so I do the reading after the event, but in fact it still proves very useful.

I get runs of jobs in similar subject areas. At one time an agency was working on a big project in diabetes and the cardiovascular system, and lately there has been more cardiology.

I have collected a lot of diplomas and certificates along the way, many well worth the effort, but as Gitte says, time and the cost of travel have to be taken into consideration.
A well-organised course and a good teacher are great advantages. However, my school biology teacher once told us it was all wasted if we did not make the effort ourselves and 'learn how to learn'.
She was one of the best of them all!

LilianNekipelov
LilianNekipelov  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:25
Russian to English
+ ...
I absolutely agree with you, Julian. Feb 2, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

As not simply Continuing Professional Development but also as Continuing Personal Development. After all, your dedication as a professional is an extension of your persona and reflects what you are deep down inside, don't you think?

Must have had too much saké already. Hic!

Small edit

[Edited at 2014-02-02 13:52 GMT]

You keep learning new things your whole life, because something simply makes you learn them and pursue new theories: just because you could not do otherwise.

Allison Wright (X)
Allison Wright (X)  Identity Verified
Portugal
Courses Feb 2, 2014

CPD assumes that learning - or "development" from a predetermined starting point - is something measurable. This is a rather narrow view.

Interest in, and natural curiosity about, many things will inevitably result in personal development and the enhancement of the depth and breadth of one's skill in one's profession.
Focussed attention to these matters will reinforce and consolidate development, whether or not it can be officially labelled "CPD".

Think about it:
... See more
CPD assumes that learning - or "development" from a predetermined starting point - is something measurable. This is a rather narrow view.

Interest in, and natural curiosity about, many things will inevitably result in personal development and the enhancement of the depth and breadth of one's skill in one's profession.
Focussed attention to these matters will reinforce and consolidate development, whether or not it can be officially labelled "CPD".

Think about it: If you're like me, you don't have a single certificate which attests to the fact that you know your way around various software programs, but quite plainly, you "qualify" - and may well do much better than someone with a bunch of certificates if put to the test.
Collapse

Triston Goodwin
Triston Goodwin  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 07:25
Spanish to English
+ ...
... Feb 2, 2014

I decided to go back to the university to get my degree in business administration (I gradate in three months!) and I'm trying to learn more about website and app design.

Even though it directly relates to my translation work, I see it all as personal development.

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 06:25
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
I taught translation for 14 years Feb 3, 2014

I've been translating for more than 35 years. I learn something new with every job I do. Experience has been my teacher and always will be.

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: For those who don't undertake CPD (Continuing Professional Development), why not?

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »