Pages in topic:   [1 2] >
Poll: Has having your own website helped your business?
Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
ProZ.com Staff
SITE STAFF
Jan 3, 2014

This forum topic is for the discussion of the poll question "Has having your own website helped your business?".

View the poll results »

Muriel Vasconcellos
Muriel Vasconcellos  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 13:34
Member (2003)
Spanish to English
+ ...
Yes Jan 3, 2014

My best customer found me on my website: www.murieltranslations.com.

Tim Drayton
Tim Drayton  Identity Verified
Cyprus
Local time: 23:34
Turkish to English
+ ...
Yes, a little Jan 3, 2014

It has generated a tiny amount of business.

Julian Holmes
Julian Holmes  Identity Verified
Japan
Local time: 05:34
Member (2011)
Japanese to English
Yes Jan 3, 2014

It

- summarizes the services I can offer
- outlines my approach to translation, and
- provides lots of answers to questions that I would, otherwise, be inundated with from potential customers, which, in turn, saves my time

Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn
Melanie Maiwald-Meylahn  Identity Verified
Germany
Local time: 22:34
English to German
+ ...
Yes Jan 3, 2014

Yes, some local direct clients contacted me because of my website.

Michael Harris
Michael Harris  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2006)
German to English
No website Jan 3, 2014

I have never had time to get down to it, always too busy - fortunately!

Christopher Schröder
Christopher Schröder
United Kingdom
Member (2011)
Swedish to English
+ ...
No Jan 3, 2014

It was much better when we had someone else's website.

Back in the early days we hacked Lionbridge's website and put our phone number on it. That worked wonders for our business.

Magdalena Balibrea Vich
Magdalena Balibrea Vich  Identity Verified
Spain
English to Spanish
+ ...
Yes Jan 3, 2014

Potential customers on Proz check your profile and then your website/LinkedIn profile/overall online presence before choosing you.

Here's mine:
www.balibrea.com

Vadim Kadyrov
Vadim Kadyrov  Identity Verified
Ukraine
Local time: 23:34
English to Russian
+ ...
This is like your business card Jan 3, 2014

You don`t have to make all your visitors buy something instantly (well, your service actually). I believe this is an opportunity to make new connections, since people instantly see who you are and what you do.

This is more like a business card, a summary of your experience and references.

Suzan Hamer
Suzan Hamer  Identity Verified
Netherlands
English
+ ...
I use my Proz profile as a website. Jan 3, 2014

My best clients found me through Proz.

Thayenga
Thayenga  Identity Verified
Germany
Member (2009)
English to German
+ ...
Not yet Jan 3, 2014

For the time being, my ProZ.com profile is my website. However, I'm also contemplating the creation of my own website this year.

Emma Goldsmith
Emma Goldsmith  Identity Verified
Spain
Member (2004)
Spanish to English
Yes Jan 3, 2014

Magdalena Balibrea Vich wrote:

Potential customers on Proz check your profile and then your website/LinkedIn profile/overall online presence before choosing you.

Absolutely. Clients go from my Proz profile to my website before contacting me. They also reach me by landing on my blog and then make their way over to my website. That's fine by me. All roads lead to Rome.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Many ways to skin a cat Jan 3, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

It

- provides lots of answers to questions that I would, otherwise, be inundated with from potential customers, which, in turn, saves my time

That's what my website (www.wordsmeet.com) does. Although some clients have made more comments about my blog (wordsmeet.wordpress.com) than about my site.

I always wanted to address the myriad questions I fielded over the years, so my website does that now for me. Since it's not a sales website, I am not concerned about metrics, Google or otherwise. It's an informational & educational tool.

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
Local time: 16:34
English to Spanish
+ ...
Many ways to skin a cat Jan 3, 2014

Julian Holmes wrote:

It

That's what my website (www.wordsmeet.com) does. Although some clients have made more comments about my blog (wordsmeet.wordpress.com) than about my site.

I always wanted to address the myriad questions I fielded over the years, so my website does that now for me. Since it's not a sales website, I am not concerned about metrics, Google or otherwise. It's an informational & educational tool.

On the other hand, having an ATA (American Translators Assocn.) directory profile has helped me tremendously. Most clients use the ATA directory to find translators (in America, at least).

neilmac
neilmac
Spain
Spanish to English
+ ...
Don't have one Jan 3, 2014

I did have a freeby website for a while, which I was trying to put together in my spare time. However, it was all too fiddly and complicated (I need my tech stuff idiot-proof) and the provider went bust or something so it no longer worked. I tried using the proz website offer too, but again it was much too complicated for a dummy like me, (I still don't know what my "POP3" is, despite over a decade of trying to grasp the concept and find out) so I gave up on that in the end too. Thankfully, I'm... See more
I did have a freeby website for a while, which I was trying to put together in my spare time. However, it was all too fiddly and complicated (I need my tech stuff idiot-proof) and the provider went bust or something so it no longer worked. I tried using the proz website offer too, but again it was much too complicated for a dummy like me, (I still don't know what my "POP3" is, despite over a decade of trying to grasp the concept and find out) so I gave up on that in the end too. Thankfully, I'm usually too busy anyway...

I might try again this year, but just for a laugh and definitely NOT with a view to boosting my "business". If I wanted to do that, I'd pay someone to make me a half-decent site that was as user friendly for me as for any potential visitors.
Collapse

Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: Has having your own website helped your business?

Wordfast Pro
Translation Memory Software for Any Platform

Exclusive discount for ProZ.com users! Save over 13% when purchasing Wordfast Pro through ProZ.com. Wordfast is the world's #1 provider of platform-independent Translation Memory software. Consistently ranked the most user-friendly and highest value

Buy now! »
CafeTran Espresso
You've never met a CAT tool this clever!

Translate faster & easier, using a sophisticated CAT tool built by a translator / developer. Accept jobs from clients who use Trados, MemoQ, Wordfast & major CAT tools. Download and start using CafeTran Espresso -- for free

Buy now! »