Thread poster: ProZ.com Staff
Jenn Mercer
Jenn Mercer  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 17:40
Member (2009)
French to English
A career Dec 19, 2012

To me, a "job" is something you do for someone else just to keep a roof over your head. A career is something that you own regardless of who you your skills may be benefiting at the time. If you advance in a "job," you have no room for improvement beyond the niche you have been assigned. There is no limit to the benefit I can gain from improving my skills in my career.

Translation is also, as Julian and others have mentioned, a profession. Translators need to be able to do more tha
... See more
To me, a "job" is something you do for someone else just to keep a roof over your head. A career is something that you own regardless of who you your skills may be benefiting at the time. If you advance in a "job," you have no room for improvement beyond the niche you have been assigned. There is no limit to the benefit I can gain from improving my skills in my career.

Translation is also, as Julian and others have mentioned, a profession. Translators need to be able to do more than just follow directions and have responsibilities beyond those of a wage-slave.
Collapse

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons)
English to Italian
+ ...
@ Mario Dec 19, 2012

Mario Chavez wrote:

@Giuseppina, I appreciate greatly that you put a face to the poll's author, and it's an interesting topic, since it touches on our professional identity and our self image, among other things.

Maybe you were tired of reading statements that read like superficial or empty platitudes, like things people don't really mean. Some words tend to be so overused that they lose their original meaning and impact.

If you think that translation is just a job, pray tell us more. After all, saying that "it's a job" may well be another superficial platitude...

To be honest, Mario, I believe that translating, as many other colleagues said, it is all of what I mentioned in my survey, but mainly a job, because most of the times it cannot be an art (I cannot find anything artistic in my technical manuals, although I have translated also art catalogues, and that was a real dream...), and furthermore it is a job/profession/career (meanings overlap here) because if I didn't need to pay my bills I'd definitely not be sitting in front of my computer and would be on the beach right now!

Yes, I was just tired of reading superficial comments like: "I LOOOOOVE translating, it is my PASSIOOON, please let me translate or I'll DIE, it's the ONLY thing I want to do in my life", etc.

I chose translation willfully many many years ago and I did not repent this choice, it is much better than many other jobs/professions/occupations, but still something I would not do if I didn't need to make a living!

Pierluigi Bernardini
Pierluigi Bernardini  Identity Verified
Italy
Local time: 23:40
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
Other Dec 19, 2012

To me translation is certainly more than one thing: a job, a mission, an art, it's what I have always wanted to do, what I love most, and what I was born for.

Pierluigi Bernardini
Pierluigi Bernardini  Identity Verified
Italy
Member (2011)
English to Italian
+ ...
I agree Dec 19, 2012

maryesl wrote:

Not everyone has the ability to convey the meaning of a text in another language. So, I'd say it is an art, and a difficult one.

Yes, indeed.

Other Dec 19, 2012

Translation is both art and science.
What word you choose when translating is an art, while how you understand the structure of source material and put that understanding in that of target language is a science called linguistics.
In return, such high level of endeavor should be called "profession". Word "job" could be too light for this demanding task.
On the other hand, any job is a good "occupation" as long as done with pride. In this sense translation is same....
See more
Translation is both art and science.
What word you choose when translating is an art, while how you understand the structure of source material and put that understanding in that of target language is a science called linguistics.
In return, such high level of endeavor should be called "profession". Word "job" could be too light for this demanding task.
On the other hand, any job is a good "occupation" as long as done with pride. In this sense translation is same.
Collapse

Mario Chavez (X)
Mario Chavez (X)  Identity Verified
English to Spanish
+ ...
Making a living Dec 19, 2012

Giuseppina Gatta, MA (Hons) wrote:

Mario Chavez wrote:
@Giuseppina, I appreciate greatly that you put a face to the poll's author, and it's an interesting topic, since it touches on our professional identity and our self image, among other things.

Maybe you were tired of reading statements that read like superficial or empty platitudes, like things people don't really mean. Some words tend to be so overused that they lose their original meaning and impact.

If you think that translation is just a job, pray tell us more. After all, saying that "it's a job" may well be another superficial platitude...

To be honest, Mario, I believe that translating, as many other colleagues said, it is all of what I mentioned in my survey, but mainly a job, because most of the times it cannot be an art (I cannot find anything artistic in my technical manuals, although I have translated also art catalogues, and that was a real dream...), and furthermore it is a job/profession/career (meanings overlap here) because if I didn't need to pay my bills I'd definitely not be sitting in front of my computer and would be on the beach right now!

Yes, I was just tired of reading superficial comments like: "I LOOOOOVE translating, it is my PASSIOOON, please let me translate or I'll DIE, it's the ONLY thing I want to do in my life", etc.

I chose translation willfully many many years ago and I did not repent this choice, it is much better than many other jobs/professions/occupations, but still something I would not do if I didn't need to make a living!

Giuseppina,

Somehow hearing that you chose translation as a job mainly as a mean to make a living makes me sad. Somehow it reminds me of my high school principal, who was an accountant by choice. During one class, however, he publicly admitted that he didn't consider his job his avocation.

Maybe there's something else, an undercurrent of skepticism in your jaded comments. Let's say that you don't need to make a living, what would you do with your time?

Whether you call it a job or something else, do you love what you do? Do you enjoy it? If "No" is your answer, then, what would you love doing?

Michele Fauble
Michele Fauble  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 14:40
Member (2006)
Norwegian to English
+ ...
Translating is ... Dec 19, 2012

There is a part of me that wonders if such sentiments are connected to a willingness to accept low rates.

[Edited at 2012-12-19 18:09 GMT]

Henry Hinds
Henry Hinds  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 15:40
English to Spanish
+ ...
In memoriam
A Vocation Dec 19, 2012

Now where was that choice? I consider translation to be my vocation; that is, it is what I was born to do, and I was lucky enough to discover it. It suits me in every way. What more can I say?

English to Italian
+ ...
I agree Dec 19, 2012

Michele Fauble wrote:

There is a part of me that wonders if such sentiments are connected to a willingness to accept low rates.

[Edited at 2012-12-19 18:09 GMT]

This is exactly what I wanted to imply... Some people would do it for free. And this is exactly what I meant when I say that translation is a "job" for me, i.e. I would not do it for free (unless it is for a good cause, and I have done it), and not even for cheap rates.

Mario, sorry you misunderstood my words, I am not jaded, but after 20 years I can be a little "tired", I think. I still enjoy translating, but that does not exclude the fact that it is a very demanding profession.

What I would like doing is a lot of other things and I don't have time right now, maybe in the future it will be possible..

[Modificato alle 2012-12-19 20:17 GMT]

Alison Sparks (X)
Alison Sparks (X)  Identity Verified
French to English
+ ...
In a nutshell Dec 19, 2012

Allison Wright's comments. I love doing translations, but won't do them for peanuts. The manipulation of words even in your mother tongue is an art. The research, if need be, to find the context is a science. Doing what suits you, with your own deadlines, your own ambience and no boss ........ Who could ask for more?

Steve Kerry
Steve Kerry  Identity Verified
Local time: 22:40
German to English
A love/hate relationship? Dec 19, 2012

Lovely when you are in the groove, with something you really understand - for me a technical manual or a contract perhaps, rocking on in Word or Trados, smiling and making the sparks fly - or perhaps researching and learning to understand an entirely new topic which you find fascinating and absorbing - or even translating a poem perhaps, delighting in finding ways to express the emotions and wit of the author in your own language.

Terrible when you are painstakingly picking your way
... See more
Lovely when you are in the groove, with something you really understand - for me a technical manual or a contract perhaps, rocking on in Word or Trados, smiling and making the sparks fly - or perhaps researching and learning to understand an entirely new topic which you find fascinating and absorbing - or even translating a poem perhaps, delighting in finding ways to express the emotions and wit of the author in your own language.

Terrible when you are painstakingly picking your way through somebody's garbage bin of illegible, tedious faxes in PDF, liberally sprinkled with handwriting, wondering why you are working for an hourly rate rather less than that of a chicken plucker.

But it has its moments. And it beats working... smiles

Steve K.
Collapse

Gina W
Gina W
United States
Member (2003)
French to English
Other: a passion Dec 19, 2012

I love it!

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
María Eugenia Wachtendorff
María Eugenia Wachtendorff  Identity Verified
Chile
English to Spanish
+ ...
Off topic: We definitely need a LIKE button here! Dec 20, 2012

Like Claire, I think we should have a "Like" or maybe "Agree" button here.

I would have supported Henry Hinds, by the way. Translation is my inborn talent and my vocation

Cheers!

Yuri Radcev
Yuri Radcev  Identity Verified
Local time: 00:40
English to Russian
+ ...
a part time activity Dec 20, 2012

sometimes - quite often, to my regret - I feel burned out. patients, their endless complaints, a need to be positive, etc, bla_bla_bla....
and translation gives me a safety room. where I can hide.
for a while.

Pages in topic:   < [1 2 3 4] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

Moderator(s) of this forum
Jared Tabor[Call to this topic]

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Poll: To me, translating is...

TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »
Anycount & Translation Office 3000
Translation Office 3000

Translation Office 3000 is an advanced accounting tool for freelance translators and small agencies. TO3000 easily and seamlessly integrates with the business life of professional freelance translators.

More info »