Samuel Murray
Samuel Murray  Identity Verified
Netherlands
Local time: 16:36
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
Apr 8, 2022

So, a new version of Trados Freelance is coming out, called "2022". Upgrading costs about EUR 225, but if you pre-order you can get the upgrade for EUR 150. I wonder what's new in version 2022.

Dan Lucas
Eric Azevedo

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:36
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
Live in hope Apr 8, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
I wonder what's new in version 2022.

Lots of marketing fluff, but few specifics so far:
https://www.trados.com/landing/get-ready-for-studio-2022.html

I shall probably buy an upgrade to this, though I won't install it until SP1, or at least until my busy season has passed, which likely means July.

EDIT: With regard to the upgrade comment above, I'm currently on 2019, as I didn't see anything that would benefit me in 2021, and to be honest there was little improvement that I could see in 2019 over 2017. On the other hand, I get twitchy when I get more than two releases away from the current version, so maybe I will go for 2022.

On the other other hand, Memsource has come from nowhere over the past 2-3 years to take a huge chunk of Studio's share in my segment of the JP-EN market. About half the jobs I get that require a CAT tool now use Memsource, and that percentage is still rising. A few years ago it was only ever Trados in my pair. (Trados is still much more capable, but Memsource is good enough for most things.) So the value proposition for an expensive package like this is much less convincing than it was even in 2019.

I have been thinking for a while that, in terms of the software side of the company, RWS may have bought SDL at the top.

Dan

[Edited at 2022-04-09 12:08 GMT]

Maciek Drobka

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
Let's see Apr 9, 2022

According to the infographic:

- 220+ customer requested amendments (would that customer be RWS?)
- "A more responsive, clearer display in Studio editor view" (possible translation: "dynamic" loading, like what the new version of XTM suffers from)
- "streamlining" some of Studio's "views" (possible translation: they removed some features so that new users who aren't use to so many icons will be less shaken)
- Some kind of mystery font-related change in Studio, MultiTerm and the aligner
- 3 additional file types (two of which are a mystery, but one is a multilingual Excel file filter)
- improved .Net file type support
- improved real-time preview
- "One of the keys to Trados Studio's success is how we've always recognised that everyone is different, and we work hard to give you choices that suit your specific needs" (possible translation: translators will have less access to reviewer-related functions, reviewers will have less access to translator-related functions, and both translators and reviewers will have less access to QA-related functions)

According to the FAQ:

If I purchase Trados Studio 2022, will I have to pay for cloud capabilities?
From Trados Studio 2021, essential cloud capabilities have come as standard and will always be available for customers using currently supported versions of Trados Studio. This means Trados Studio 2022 users will not have to pay an additional charge to use essential cloud capabilities.

Well, the first sentence is a lie (does anyone remember the Great Bait and Switch?), so this means that the second sentence must be interpreted in a novel way. I wonder what it could be.

Oh, and no 4K support yet.

[Edited at 2022-04-09 10:02 GMT]

Eric Azevedo

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:36
English to Russian
Customer-requested Apr 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
Not "customer requested" but customer-requested which implies plural for 'customers'. Obviously this word means users, not RWS. RWS is the developer. Like user-friendly is friendly to users but not a single user.

This improvement was requested a billion times. Here is one of them.

Metin Demirel

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan Apr 9, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
Samuel Murray wrote:

"Customer-requested" ... implies plural for 'customers'. Obviously this word means users, not RWS. RWS is the developer.

I'm not convinced that RWS is not a customer. RWS now owns Trados and is therefore now also the biggest customer of Trados. It is not unthinkable that among the thousands of customers of Trados are one or two big ones whose requests carry a lot more weight than that of all the rest. I would find it unsurprising if most of the changes in Trados 2022 were requested by RWS in order for Trados to fit in better with RWS's business practices.

This improvement was requested a billion times. Here is one of them.

Your guess is correct w.r.t. the aligner. My bad, it's not a mystery what the font enhancement is for the aligner, but for Studio and Multiterm it remains one.

Which of the mentioned enhancements are worth paying EUR 150 for? I suppose for people who use the aligner a lot, the alignment font enhancement would be it. I can't help but think that most points mentioned in the infographic are worded so vaguely that they could easily have applied to Trados 2021, 2019 or 2017.

[Edited at 2022-04-09 14:17 GMT]

Josephine Cassar
Eric Azevedo

Stepan Konev
Stepan Konev  Identity Verified
Russian Federation
Local time: 17:36
English to Russian
RWS=developer Apr 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
It is not unthinkable that among the thousands of customers of Trados are one or two big ones whose requests carry a lot more weight than that of all the rest. I would find it unsurprising if most of the changes in Trados 2022 were requested by RWS
No, Trados is a product, not a company. RWS develops it since they bought SDL. How do you think a developer can request features from a product? There is an ideation portal with 1000+ suggestions where any user can suggest an idea. If the developer thinks the idea is worthy of their efforts, they deliver the idea.

[Edited at 2022-04-09 14:39 GMT]

Dan Lucas
Dan Lucas  Identity Verified
United Kingdom
Local time: 15:36
Member (2014)
Japanese to English
The years fly by Apr 9, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:
Your guess is correct w.r.t. the aligner. My bad, it's not a mystery what the font enhancement is for the aligner, but for Studio and Multiterm it remains one.

Just to point out, in passing, that people have been complaining about the font in the aligner for the past seven years. See here for a summary of the issues, including tiny font, from way back when.

Seven years to fix something apparently minor, but that makes the aligner all but unusable. It's no wonder that Memsource is eating Trados' lunch.

Dan

Stepan Konev
Eric Azevedo

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
@Stepan Apr 9, 2022

Stepan Konev wrote:
No, Trados is a product, not a company. RWS develops it since they bought SDL. How do you think a developer can request features from a product?

I don't see anything wrong with my assumption or interpretation. A large translation company buys a smaller company that develops a product, and then the large company has much greater control over what features they can request the smaller company to implement in the product. RWS is not a software development company. It is a translation company (i.e. a large agency). And for modern, large agencies, workflow optimization is key to productivity.

Indeed, this happened before: many years ago, SDL (which was a translation company, i.e. a large agency) bought the company that makes Trados, and from that point onwards had a profound influence on the direction of the development of Trados. Eventually the entire Trados company was absorbed into the software development division of SDL. Many translators who have never worked for SDL only learnt the name "SDL" after it became associated with Trados, but SDL was a translation company first and had a software development division second. Indeed, when RWS bought SDL, some on these forums professed that they have never heard of RWS, so in future, in the minds of younger translators, no doubt the name "RWS" will be associated with Trados (a product) first, even though RWS is actually a translation agency.

A similar thing happened with Wordfast and TransPerfect. TransPerfect bought (and now owns) the company that develops Wordfast, and after they did that, many features got implemented into Wordfast that better integrates it into the Transperfect workflows. The Wordfast company is still a separate company that has some degree of control over the direction of their flagship product, but they are owned by a larger company (in this case, a translation company), and therefore development resources are prioritized according to what the larger company needs.

And while in the case of TransPerfect and Wordfast, the company that develops the software remained separate from the company that bought it, it may well be that RWS will integrate (or has integrated) the software development division of SDL into its own software development department. But even then, while it would be true to say that strictly speaking "RWS develops Trados", the direction of Trados' development will be dictated by RWS and largely for the needs of RWS.

There is an ideation portal with 1000+ suggestions where any user can suggest an idea. If the developer thinks the idea is worthy of their efforts, they deliver the idea.

It is not up to the developer to decide which features get implemented. It is up to the owner of the developer.

Dan Lucas wrote:
Just to point out, in passing, that people have been complaining about the font in the aligner for the past seven years.

Indeed, and although I'm not a software developer, I can't imagine that it must have been so difficult to implement such a feature, but despite that, SDL did not regard it as a priority. Perhaps the RWS workflow is so different from the SDL workflow at this point, that the in-house translators and project managers at RWS raised a sufficiently large stink about it that it finally got implemented. Perhaps RWS uses alignment more than SDL ever did.

[Edited at 2022-04-09 15:14 GMT]

Jorge Payan

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member because it was not in line with site rule
John Fry
John Fry  Identity Verified
United States
Local time: 09:36
Member (2010)
Japanese to English
+ ...
The aligner in the aligner Apr 10, 2022

Dan Lucas wrote:
Just to point out, in passing, that people have been complaining about the font in the aligner for the past seven years.

To me the problem is not the font in the aligner but rather the aligner in the aligner. I always end up having to do it manually.

Ines Radionovas-Lagoutte, PhD
Riccardo Schiaffino

finnword1
finnword1
United States
Local time: 10:36
English to Finnish
+ ...
New model year, just like automobiles have. Apr 10, 2022

If it's not broken, don't fix it, but if you like the latest model, go for it!.

Hans Lenting
Hans Lenting
Netherlands
Member (2006)
German to Dutch
Freelance translators using Trados Studio Apr 10, 2022

Samuel Murray wrote:

And for modern, large agencies, workflow optimization is key to productivity.

Of course it is, but I am sure the same applies to freelance translators that use Trados Studio (or any alternative).

For me, the most important new features of any CAT tool are always those that enable me to work even more efficiently. So, more free time with the same income, or more income if I am prepared to keep working the same number of hours.

And I strongly doubt that Studio 2022 will offer anything that will allow me to be more productive as a freelancer than I already am. So I'll probably not upgrade from Studio 2021.

Wolfgang Schoene
Matthias Brombach

Samuel Murray
Netherlands
Member (2006)
English to Afrikaans
+ ...
TOPIC STARTER
More information Apr 10, 2022

"Our" Paul gave some additional useful URLs on the official forum:

- https://www.trados.com/download/going-places-with-trados/202621/
(a 13-page brochure, not specifically about Trados Freelance 2022 but about the Trados ecosystem in general)
- https://www.trados.com/events/webinars/2022/April/get-ready-for-trados-studio-and-multiterm-2022.html
(a webinar on 28 April)

Paul was also kind enough to explain what the infographic means by "views". It's these:

pastedimage1649590633661v1

[Edited at 2022-04-10 15:53 GMT]

Post removed: This post was hidden by a moderator or staff member for the following reason: Reply to a post made elsewhere
Pages in topic:   [1 2] >

To report site rules violations or get help, contact a site moderator:

You can also contact site staff by submitting a support request »

Trados Freelance 2022 coming soon

Trados Studio 2022 Freelance
The leading translation software used by over 270,000 translators.

Designed with your feedback in mind, Trados Studio 2022 delivers an unrivalled, powerful desktop and cloud solution, empowering you to work in the most efficient and cost-effective way.

More info »
TM-Town
Manage your TMs and Terms ... and boost your translation business

Are you ready for something fresh in the industry? TM-Town is a unique new site for you -- the freelance translator -- to store, manage and share translation memories (TMs) and glossaries...and potentially meet new clients on the basis of your prior work.

More info »